Any Opinions on the PUMA Bowie??

Hey all,

I am looking for a decent hunting/field dressing knife and one of the models I have always liked is the PUMA Bowie. This is the one that has the 6.1 inch blade and a stag handle. I know the ones made back in the day command a much higher price than the one made today. They are still stamped SOILINGEN, so I assume they are still a quality blade.

Since I have never handled one or had a chance to inspect one, I thought I would come and ask what you all think of this knife. How do you think it would perform as a primary hunting/field dressing knife? What are the NEGATIVES of this knife that you can see?

I am on a pretty tight budget and on occasion I have ran across this knife for a pretty good price at around $75 or so. That's about what my limit is. For that price, would this PUMA be a good choice for what I am wanting to do with it or is there something else that you would suggest would be a better pick?

Lets hear some thoughts on the PUMA please.

Thanks for your time.

Nala

Back in the '80's, and probably before, they were the the Rolls Royce of production knives. They were expensive at the time, due to the rate of exchange between the German Mark and Dollar, but they were awesome knives. I am not thrilled at all with the current production that I have seen. You would be pleased with an older one though.

The recent models are not that bad - mine sharpens up and holds an edge well. That said, it would not be my choice for dressing out game. There are many blade shapes better suited to that task than the Puma Bowie.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd be looking at something like a RAT or Fallkniven for use as a "primary hunting/field dressing" knife. Even something like the Cold Steel San Mai Master Hunter. A real bargain IMO is the Beretta Loveless Hunter. The Zytel handle version can be had for about 40 bucks. Beautiful knife and razor sharp out of the box. Made by Moki in Japan.

I'm not familiar with the current production of the Puma Bowie and don't know if they're still being made in Germany. And even if the knife is still a quality product, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a bowie as a primary hunting/field dressing knife.

BTW I was fortunate to have an Original Puma Bowie given to me as a gift in the late 1970's when I was a kid by a friend of the family. It was a 1973 model with a stag handle. Absolutely gorgeous knife. I had a sense even back then that it was something special. Kept it in great shape through the years and made sure it went with me from move to move. A couple of years ago I finally sold it (on eBay) and was pretty knocked out at the interest it generated.

ones made in 70s great knives
bowie is'nt my 1st choice for hunting
even so is a great skinner
if you can find one in pumaster carbon steel, will cut a lomg time
however there are many collectors out there & this one would be expensive

I've bought a few Puma knives over the last several years and wasn't exactly pleased with the quality. But whoever is making these knives still uses some nice stag.

I've been tempted to buy that Bowie too, it isn't ridiculously expensive and it has a nice sheath. One of the big online catalog / sporting goods companies usually has them for $70.00.

I was fortunate to have an Original Puma Bowie given to me as a gift in the late 1970's when I was a kid by a friend of the family. It was a 1973 model with a stag handle. Absolutely gorgeous knife. I had a sense even back then that it was something special.

Ditto on that. I bought one new in the early '80s (1981 date code). In the yellow plastic box with the green lid, with nice leather sheath and the little gold colored tag. I've never used it for anything, but it holds some sentimental value for me because it was the first real 'quality' knife I've ever owned. You might say it was my 'epiphany' knife, the first one that made me realize how beautiful they could be. I was not too long out of high school and a complete novice to knives in general. But even so, the elegance of the design and the quality of the build was glaringly obvious to me. I still have that knife stashed away somewhere. I'll probably sell it eventually, but it'll likely be one of the very last ones I give up.

Last edited:
Look at sportsmansguide.com they have many diffrent Puma models for great prices. I have a white hunter ( I believe thats the name) I have used it for years as my hunting knife. I have used it for years to gut,skin and process whitetail deer and caribou.As far as production knives go the only one I like better for hunting is a Knives of Alaslka wolverine hunter in D2. Takes an amazing edge and holds it for a long time.Just my 2 cents.

good luck,
Mike

hello,
i have the puma bowie,not a bad knife for the money involved.
in fact,i also bought the puma stag stockman from sg. which i also think is very nice.
they both say germany on the blade. i think some of their knives are made in spain.

if you see a puma with a rockwell indentation,is a old goodie
all pumas[folders& strait ] from 70s thru mid 80s were individually r.w. tested.
exception was the work knife in carbon

My 'Puma Original Bowie', #116396, was purchased three years ago new from a mail order company. Like my other Pumas, it has the Rc testing die mark in the middle of the spine ~.75" from the finger guard. My wife bought me a White Hunter, #116375, from a friend at a show a year or two back - hid it, sheathed, in her pants as she complained about her leg bothering her, and we left as she limped to the truck. She gave it to me that evening. It is nearly 30 yr old now. It's Rc mark is on the flat opposite the legend, etc.

The detail finishing - and polishing - on the WH is better than that on the Bowie. The fit of the stag is similar, with the WH a blackish color highlight and the Bowie a brownish/coffee color. The rivets of the Bowie are conical and smooth; those on the WH were roughly ground - and more proud of the stag - and a bit uncomfortable. The odd-shaped WH's edge is a bit uneven in grind - and varies from shaver sharp to not so sharp, while the Bowie is consistently sharp enough to remove arm hairs. Older vs recent - really about the same. They are both still hand assembled - and finished. Some Puma's state 'IP' - which means they were sourced from Portugal - or elsewhere - an 'International Product', I suppose, and generally, not their 'top of the line' models.

I had problems attempting to order the Bowie from Sportsman's Guide - their bean counters and 'legal dept' conspired to make sales of larger fb knives to Alabama, and elsewhere, a possible legal problem (Alabama's knife laws are all but non-existent - you can buy swords, no less!). I won't buy anything from them now. There are plenty of folks out there who will legally sell to me. I ended up getting the Bowie cheaper elsewhere.

If you like the 'Bowie' style, don't forget the Buck 119 'Special' - all but equivalent to that Puma Bowie - and <$40 with sales tax at your local WallyWorld or Academy Sports - and the knife is made in the USA (The sheath is an import.), too.

IMG_0486_edited.jpg

The larger Buck is the Pro Line 120 General, only available from Cabela's ~$70. My 119 & 120 are in a drawer in the kitchen - roast & turkey slicers extraordinaire. The 119 is available with a bone handle from Bass Pro Shops for ~$80-$90. The Buck's 420HC edge is more uniform and sharper than the Puma's.

Stainz

so I assume they are still a quality blade.

They are not a quality blade any longer. Unless you find one prior to about 1976 that is Pumasteel, you will be better off with another brand.

Some hunters seem to like larger blades but the vast majority of us prefer something shorter and of different design than that style of "bowie".

Although they are priced out of your range now check out the Bob Dozier site to see his hunting knives and get an idea of what design and size professional guides and avid hunters use.

A few old Puma's and a Dozier.
IMG_0421.jpg

Not mentioned much but Knives of Alaska make some pretty good affordable knives geared toward hunting.
IMG_0426.jpg

Last edited:
What are the NEGATIVES of this knife that you can see?

Just what others have said here. I was a huge Puma fan in the 70s and 80s (I have about 6-7 folders and one fixed blade), and have seen their quality go up and down over the years. Sadly, it's mostly down.

As for he ones I see at the stores and gun shows, I would say that at least the quality control issues have stabilized. The seem to be a fair knife that might be a bit overpriced.

However, in all their stag offerings, I would NOT buy one unless I had a chance to hold it. From time to time they put some really rough stag on the handles these days. And ditto the comments about the protruding rivets.

I am on a pretty tight budget and on occasion I have ran across this knife for a pretty good price at around $75 or so. That's about what my limit is. For that price, would this PUMA be a good choice for what I am wanting to do with it or is there something else that you would suggest would be a better pick?

Lets hear some thoughts on the PUMA please.

Thanks for your time.

Nala

I would look elsewhere. I have had a Buck 119 since 1972, and it is still a favorite camp knife. It does all I need it to do in camp (no... never batoned a log with it) and makes a great field dressing knife. Plenty of belly for skinning, and enough flat to bust a joint when you need to.

It's easy to sharpen and maintain, and is surprisingly rust resistant. For $50 or so, I don't personally think there is a sheath knife in its class that is any better.

Robert

I have a mint beautiful absolutely gorgeous old vintage Puma Bowie from the late 70's early 1980's in the Puma wood presentation box. It has wooden slab style grips and quite a long blade at least 12 or more inches long.

Never been able to find a pic of one.

Just wondering what the value would be.

I would post a pic but can't....just joined the forum today.

I have one of the old vintage Puma Bowies. My favorite was the Puma hunters companion. It was a great skinner.

The current Pumas are stainless. The older ones were pumaster steel w dropforged blades.

They are still very good knives.

The bowie will work for hunting and skinning. They have been so used by thousands of hunters for a whole lot of years now. I just depends on your skill with the blade and your use of those skills.

Blast from the past. I was rooting around under some papers on my desk today and I found my old Puma Bowie and did a search. Found this thread. A little discoloration on the steel between the nice stag antler grips, but nice bright blade. Has the diamond impregnation on the blade for the Rockwell test (right side about 2" back from the tip). Sheath shows honest wear but the blade is pristine. Mine has the micro serrations at the rear of the blade. Always makes be happy to see it. I bought that circa 1972/73 and as a kid, it was pretty big money. Probably $40., I'm guessing. :)

Say Heah Boys and Girls, I bought a couple more nice knives from the Pawn Shop. Last week I bought some Folders and I got a Beautiful condition Diefenthal 409 Folder Box and all, A Buck 112 X, a Jim Catfish Hunter #4 Camillus and a Schrade 2 blade Scrimshaw Barlow. I also got a Xase Pawnee in near perfect condition, but without a Sheath, Just call me lucky, I found a Basket Weave original Sheath in mint condition for it, I teamed it right away with my Case Jungle Machete Knife, The two is a near perfect match, and I will add my Widen Handle Fiskar Folding Saw for a great Trio. But this time I bought a beautiful Bianchi Hollow Handle in near perfect condition, Rick Garcia that makes custom leather sheath's is making me a Leather sheath for the Bianchi, Mine doesn't have the name Nighthawk etched on it, Just the Bianchi Star and name in a fine line etch. A beautifully strong Hollow Handle Survival Knife that the blade resembles a Gerber Silver Trident blade shape. The Sledge has a very unique Serrations that I'm sure we're used by downed Fighter Pilots. In all its Simply TiT's, Beautiful. But I also got a Puma Bowie 2. I can't find any info on it just that it's discontinued, There isn't any marking other than its handmade in Solingen Germany, No mention of IP or steel blade is made in Germany but assembled in Asia or any other Country of origin. Anybody that can tell me what Steel my Bowie 2 is, I would great fully appreciate. Thanx in advance.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back