Any plastic or wood model builders here ?

Getting there.

Can I ask which ship this is?

Btw great job! I only really built plastic models when I was young and my enthusiasm for how good it would look when done caused me to rush and ruin it every time.

Can I ask which ship this is?

Btw great job! I only really built plastic models when I was young and my enthusiasm for how good it would look when done caused me to rush and ruin it every time.
Sms Markgraf . I was the same way decided to try and build one right this time

Nice job going on there :)
I built a lobster boat model from scratch. Although not plastic
I lofted the hull from a set of plans using wood planks and ribs if you're interested, I can post some pics

Nice job going on there :)
I built a lobster boat model from scratch. Although not plastic
I lofted the hull from a set of plans using wood planks and ribs if you're interested, I can post some pics
Please do .

1.jpg
Ok, Im gonna slow roll this :) - The pictures I have are all over the place so I need to find them in the "build" order.
First set of pictures up are of the planks being glued and nailed onto the ribs. If you notice the ribs are bent over the mold and nailed down till they dry to form.
After that the planks are glued and nailed to those ribs, but before the planks get secured the nails securing the ribs to the mold have to be removed - You dont want to forget any of those, and you'll see why in the next step

EDIT - gonna have to figure out how to attach photos.

[URL=http://s482.photobucket.com/user/leftjammer/media/mold_zpsaxpfm0ph.jpg.html][/URL]
LobsterBoat01.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, Im gonna slow roll this :) - The pictures I have are all over the place so I need to find them in the "build" order.
First set of pictures up are of the planks being glued and nailed onto the ribs. If you notice the ribs are bent over the mold and nailed down till they dry to form.
After that the planks are glued and nailed to those ribs, but before the planks get secured the nails securing the ribs to the mold have to be removed - You dont want to forget any of those, and you'll see why in the next step

EDIT - gonna have to figure out how to attach photos.
Iv'e built one plank on frame boat good times.

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-12%20at%203.39.05%20PM.png

It's been a long long time since I've built a kit. This is the last survivor of many. Mainly prop driven airplanes (twin engine oddballs a favorite) and armor.
I have no idea about this photo etching, please tell us about it.

My Brother would love this. He is a HUGE german WWII model collector. I just helped him move two weeks ago and I bet he about 300 or more (yes 300) unopened German WWII models. It was friggin unbelievable. It filled an empty transit minivan to max capacity and still more boxes and boxes full had to go in the moving van. I don't think he's actually built a model in over 20 years. Just been collecting the kits, mainly from overseas. He did build a bunch of really nice diaramas(spelling?) like the one above, years ago though.

Yes, no, and sort of. Late 2016 my father discovered a race track in the crawl space from 1991. It was the Amercan version of mini 4wd. Well despite all the upgraded parts I'd put in nearly 30 years ago, the cars were in bad shape. Still, my nephews loved it. So after the new year, I got to thinking, and I bought 4 mini 4wd cars, and a bunch of upgraded stuff. It was a lot of fun. Emmett, like me, loves to build stuff, and so I taught him all the ins and outs of building them and what each part did.

Zr91cBH.jpg

That was two years ago.

I used to collect and/or build 1/18 scale model cars. Working with my nephews on Legos now. They're not quite old enough for models I don't think, but will see what mom says.

For my own sake, I'm thinking about building model rockets. My right hand does not quite have the coordination for a lot of this, so I'm taking my time.

It's funny, I'm afraid of heights, I hate flying, yet I love airplanes. WTF is wrong with me? Used to love to build the models of fighters.

Haven't found time for any real model builds in a long time, but I do enjoy these on occasion. It's nice that all I really need is some small pliers :)

I usually stick to the Star Wars ones, but HAD to snag this one at Disneyland last month;)

20190402_005754.jpg

20190402_023923.jpg

20190402_034615.jpg

20190402_051435.jpg

~Chip

Back