Any reason not to buy a Kershaw SpeedBump?

So I've got a friend with a gas station knife that she is a bit fond of. She loves the assist, the large size, and the funky blade shape. Since Mother's day is just around the corner I was thinking of getting her an equally large knife, with better assist, and a slightly funkier blade shape that is less likely to cut off her fingers.

Is there anything in particular I should know about the Chinese Speed Bumps? I know they are 8cr which isn't great but it is better than "surgical stainless." I know that this was one of the last crazy designs to come out of Kershaw before they moved their more radical designs over to ZT. Just curious. Probably going to pull the trigger one way or the other and keep it for myself if it doesn't pass muster.

In case you're curious: SpeedBump
K0ON8qy.jpg

Her cleaver thing:
GBk5X47.jpg

Gas station knives are usually dangerous and come apart on their own or during use pretty quickly. If the speed bump is all your budget would allow, at least kershaw’s 8cr13 knives are reasonably well put together, and much safer to use. I would shop around though, if I were you; I saw a blur in 14c28 US made go for $35 here on the exchange the other day.

It's always been a radical looking knife.
But it's the stud locking system that has me thinking twice.
I dunno, but the stud seem plastic like...
Also, one has to be always wary of one's placement of thumb and forefinger
Seeing that the lock stud disengages in a forward motion.
Other than that, it's a starship!

Last edited:
Well first of all it won't be easy to sharpen, secondly that thing she has isn't all that funky of a blade shape and has a straight edge.

Unless she has told you she likes funky blade shapes I would go for something a little more conventional / functional.

So I've got a friend with a gas station knife that she is a bit fond of. She loves the assist, the large size, and the funky blade shape. Since Mother's day is just around the corner I was thinking of getting her an equally large knife, with better assist, and a slightly funkier blade shape that is less likely to cut off her fingers.

Is there anything in particular I should know about the Chinese Speed Bumps? I know they are 8cr which isn't great but it is better than "surgical stainless." I know that this was one of the last crazy designs to come out of Kershaw before they moved their more radical designs over to ZT. Just curious. Probably going to pull the trigger one way or the other and keep it for myself if it doesn't pass muster.

It's a cool knife and 8cr is a fine steel. Go for it.

Don't overthink it. Knife people like getting knives as gifts. If she's talked at all about liking the cleaver thing(I kind of like it too) then she's knife people.

I've got some pretty nice stuff and I'd be stoked if someone gave me a speed bump.

Yeah, that's a pretty unfunky RAD Cleaver Rip Off (at least to my eyes), something I would consider that is similar:
- CRKT Ripsnort
- Gerber Flatiron (should be released soon)
- Kizer Vanguard Sheepdog (a bit pricier and also released soon but probably the best quality wise)
Or perhaps some Wharncliff-y suggestions:
- Cold Steel Tuff Lite
- Kershaw Deadline
- Real Steel H9
- Tangram (Kizer) Santa Fe

Almost any kershaw beats a gas station knife. Fact. But I'd agree with above and shoot for a blur if possible.

I have a kershaw bump from 15 years ago, frame lock, s30v, crazy green ti handle. So very different knife except the blade shape. Blade is big and very different looking. Shape actually works well. Opens with real authority!

I say buy it if she likes having something different. 8cr is good user steel.

Some other thoughts, more from buying females gifts... I have the “clash”, really nice knife, although heavy. Same price point. More conventional looks but good user. The dividend and link are also good knives.

Two thoughts she is used to liner lock, current speed bump lock is quite different. (I have not seen that lock in person.) Second she has straight blade, the bump is really different, is she the type that likes a radical change? The dividend has fairly straight cutting edge.

Last edited:
Go for it. I have a Spec Bump and it's one of my all time favorites. The blade shape looks crazy, but it's surprisingly versatile and well thought out. You have the in-line tip of a drop point, a nice, flat section that acts like a wharncliffe and a deep belly that slices surprisingly well.

Admittedly, mine is the upscale version and I haven't handled one of the Chinese produced ones, but the stud lock on mine has remained rock solid through years of use. Not a hint of vertical play and I can't imagine disengaging the lock without intending to.

The one thing I will say is that it is tricky to sharpen. The 8cr13mov should mitigate that somewhat, but there will still be a learning curve and rod style sharpeners are pretty much a must.

Oh, almost forgot, the one thing that keeps me from carrying my Spec Bump more often is the clip is tip down only and fairly large and obnoxious. Maybe they've remedied that on the Chinese models, but it's a definite con if they haven't.

Last edited:
I'd get it. It ain't premium stuff, but Kershaw's warranty is pretty much failsafe.

A Spyderco Sharpmaker would make sharpening that thing a breeze. Get her one of those, too! :D

Whew, I did not expect so much of a response late on a Wednesday night. Thank you all.

I pulled the trigger and I'll see how it all goes. I appreciate especially the other suggestions and there were several mentioned that I considered strongly. The CRKT Ripsnort has been catching my eye. CRKT has been more hit than miss for me so far but I can't handle one in person so I'll hold off. The Blur is a good suggestion but a substantial bump up in price for any of the configurations I'd be interested in.

Really this is just a jumping off point and should fit her well. The blade is by all accounts functional even if it is unique. As for sharpening no one I know does it themselves. I would be sad about that but it is really just pushing me to get set up with a good system, maybe an opening to do it as a local service for folks?

Also saw a thing about CF Pilars? Sounds like that would fit several people on my list. Might have to check into that for other people. CoughmyselfCough.

I know many people like the Pilar. It is a small knife thou. If you want a good quality small blade...cough Rat 2 in D2 cough. The D2 is worth a few extra $.

Steel Will Modus or Cutjack are also popular great budget knives although your at $40+ IIRC.

EDIT: If she doesn't purse carry it, you might need to tinker with the pocket clip. It's a crappy shape and large.

Last edited:
I think I have an early 2010s variant.

It's a great size and the F&F is great for a Kershaw. The AO action on mine is a tad slow but sure. Between the lock design and the SpeedSafe it's a two-handed closer. Kind of SA switchbladey.

Tbh, I don't love it. Not a bad knife at all, just don't love it. I wish it was a one-handed closer. I keep it because I am a sucker for unique designs, even if they don't blow me away.

Back