Any recommendations for a highend (but affordable) EDC nail clippers?

Good day everyone!

I’m in search for a highend yet affordable pair of nailclippers. My intentions are to carry it on my keychain so i’m looking for something with a reasonably low profile. I’d rather pay a little extra for it to last me along time instead of purchasing cheap one’s over and over again.

Any recommendations or experiences? I’d love to know!

Thanks in advance!

23D4AE13-370E-4749-A849-F3090C7680D0.jpeg
These are the best clippers I ever bought.
They are from Japan I think made by Feather.

The one pictured is the large size but they also have medium and small, the small would probably be best for a keychain.

J.A. Henckels also makes an excellent Keychain pair.

While neither is keychain small the best ones I’ve found are on Amazon:
GERMANIKURE

Seki Edge are also very good but the handle is a little more bulky than necessary.

I just sprung for J.A.Henckels ZWILLING TWINOX 60mm Twin S Nail Clippers. When they arrive I'll give you my opinion.

Meanwhile, I've had these about 26 years. I bought them at the Remington store in a mall. They've served me well.

Edited to include update:
I just received the Henckels clippers and they are going back to the seller. The ones I received were made in India and they don't work as well as what I already have. I'm disappointed.

Last edited:
These clippers are built into the Wenger knife, but the clipper is available free standing.0D3A341F-EF6F-45AC-91F2-F12F6D9E6163.jpeg

FWIW, you don't really need "high end" where nail clippers are concerned. Frankly, the Japanese and Chinese have stepped up and are making some seriously great clippers without breaking the bank. I've tried a few luxury-brand clippers... and found they're pretty much overhyped kit. The simplicity of a clipper doesn't require overpaying to get something good, and in fact you may find cheaper clippers do a better job.

So case in point, I researched clippers for a bit and found KAI from Japan was making some of the best, often used by beauty salons. I bought the Type 001. I got a pair on sale for about $10. They're really great, but... they do have a problem. First, the blades are so super sharp, you've got to be extremely careful. I have accidentally cut too far into flesh with them by accident. The flaw, IMHO, is that the blade sides aren't angled/beveled enough, making it difficult to get good entry to the nail. Anyway, it took some time getting used to them and they work... but then, by accident I stumbled upon another brand, from China: Kaasage.
I first got these clippers: Kaasage Classic Steel Nail Clippers. They're a nice size for large/XL hands and work very well. While the blades are sharp, the edges have a good bevel and smoothness so insertion is easy. My only gripe is that there's no dock for the lever when closed (so it can move around easily). My package included a gift card towards another purchase, so I bought another set from them: Kaasage Steel Clipper set with nail file. This was only $10. The quality is superb. What I like is that the cutting action is just as good as the others, but the smaller one is more convenient to use for travel. Excellent polished steel with anodized lever. And in closed position, the tension is good enough so the lever doesn't slide around. If you paid $30 for this set at a Brookstone Store, you'd consider it good value.

Don't bother with those super low profile clippers when closed. They're neat as a concept, but I find they just don't work well. Same for those "claw" like clippers. You can't beat the traditional clipper design. It simply works. There's nothing to improve upon, except materials. And if those are done well, you're golden. FWIW, I have a pair of Korean made nail clippers I bought many years ago from Walgreens. There's a rubber sheath around the lever and the body has a plastic catch case. Those clippers work really well. I've had them for about 15~20 years now. Blades are still reasonably sharp. But I have only 1 pair and when I looked to get a backup, I found that nobody was making them any longer. That's what led me to researching nail clippers as described above.

Last edited:
I have to disagree about your assessment of "low profile" aka French style nail clippers. Because of their flat profile, I'm able to carry them in my wallet thus assuring they are always available. There are a lot different brands and you can't say they're no good based on a bad experience with one brand. The ones I currently have are sharp and cut great even after 26 years of weekly use.

Last edited:
Seki Edge are also very good

I got these a year or two ago after asking on the forum here as well. I love them. In fact, I like the extra bulk of the handle, as one of my gripes about nail clippers in general has always been that they are too small and fiddly to keep a good grip on, and also sometimes hard to get the right leverage to make a good cut.

IMG_3488.JPG
IMG_3487.JPG

I can also take the bulky sleeve off if I want, but I normally don't:

IMG_3489.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG

And full disclosure, I don't actually EDC these, as my knife handles any "last minute" nail trimming that needs to be done. But I could EDC them if I wanted to as I have more than enough room to in my 5.11 taclite pro pants.

I just received the Henckels clippers and they are going back to the seller. The ones I received were made in India and they don't work nearly as well as what I already have. I'm disappointed. The spring was very weak and hardly held the clippers open. I thought these were made in Germany. If the description of where these were really made had been accurate, I would never had ordered them.

I just received the Henckels clippers and they are going back to the seller. The ones I received were made in India and they don't work nearly as well as what I already have. I'm disappointed. The spring was very weak and hardly held the clippers open. I thought these were made in Germany. If the description of where these were really made had been accurate, I would never had ordered them.
That sucks, I've had the pair I posted for probably 15 years...hopefully they still make that version.

My very best nail users over the past 60 years have been USA or Korea made Revlon nail clippers. I have tried 4 of the new Revlon made in China, and all broke. Never again!!!

If I see one of the older quality ones even at an estate sale, i grab it.

I’ve used the scissors on my SAK classic for years. Never liked the crushing cutting feel of traditional nail clippers

Victorinox 8.2055.CB. They fold flat and the nail file is outstanding.

61jg89HVpEL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

61DmQXlneVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back