Any solar electromic experts here?

Good evening all. I picked up a couple of these 6 volt chargers in the clearance aisle (top one on page - can't post photos. They are American Hunter B-LR 680S)

http://www.americanhunterfeeders.com/HTML/chargers.html

They put out 9+ volts apiece per my Fluke meter (80 mAmp I think is the rating on package) so I'm wondering if I can run them together somehow to power a 12v batter charger for rechargeable ni-cads, or trickle charge a 12 volt marine battery, or what? I'm not real experienced with electronics, and definately not solar. The panel itself is a little bigger than a dollar bill. So - any cool ideas out there?

Last edited:
Wiring the two in series (positive of one to negative of other leaving negative of one and positive of other = 12 volt) Actual charge voltage will be (voltage max power) aprox. 17 vdc and open circuit voltage (not connected to battery > about 21vdc, maybe less depending on design.

Be careful as to charging any other then Lead/Acid Batteries (flooded cells) as NiCad, Gel and AGM batteries require a lower charge voltage and could take damage when charged unregulated.
Then again these 2 panels are miniature and at 80mA probably not an issue.

Depending on where you are a PeakSunHr/Day can be used to work out average daily output, I guess 3 - 5 hr day would relate to 240 - 400 mA per day.
Not a great deal to play with, maybe to run an LED for a bit.

Have fun

Back