Recommendation? Any such thing as a good 6" bench grinder/buffer?

Saw the Eastwood and watched a video. That is a nice rig but a very big machine. Was almost there but the size backed me off and made me wake up to what I really need. The Rikon 8" is even a bit big. For my needs, just looking to buff handles and an occasional blade and some cabinet hardware type stuff. These big guys are overkill. Zeroing in. Will post more as it happens. Still - if I were into serious metal work - auto parts and machetes and the like, that Eastwood would be my pick too.

I have several jewelers buffers ( about the same as a dental buffer) that are low speed/high speed. Low is around 700RPM and high is 1350RPM. The new ones are often variable speed from zero to really fast.

I have several jewelers buffers ( about the same as a dental buffer) that are low speed/high speed. Low is around 700RPM and high is 1350RPM. The new ones are often variable speed from zero to really fast.

This is how I'm leaning now. I can get a small jeweler's buffer that will hold buffing wheels along with an assortment of discs and sanders that can be set into a chuck. Lots of versatility. I can think of many uses beyond just a dedicated buffer. If I were a dedicated knife maker or metal smith this would not be an option but the way I intend to use it, could be the perfect next tool. Will sell my Foredom TX Flex Shaft which has languished, as it was never really the right tool for my needs.

Update ~ I ended up buying a Foredom 1.3 hp variable speed Bench buffer - on its way from the Rio Grande. I have expectations that this will be perfect for my intended purposes - mostly knife handle work, with some soft metal and beads and stone and woodworking. Not expected to be a knife blade tool though I will likely - occasionally buff some blades because I will be able too.

I especially like this tool because in addition to the buffing capabilities on two tapered spindles, it has accessories that allow for removing the tapered shaft and inserting a chuck that will hold 1/8" to 1/4" collets. I can use those to spin my woodworking sanding drums and mostly all of my collected Foredom and Dremel discs and burrs. This will be a most versatile tool - so I believe. :thumbsup: More as it happens.

The little Foredom buffers are nice. I use one for small work at the bench.

Back