Any Virginians?

I'm in central Virginia, right near Lynchburg. Have a great view of the Peaks of Otter right out my back door.

------------------
John
Lifetime member Buck collectors club
Member NKCA
Member AKTI

well not from VA but real close Archdale/Highpoint the "Furniture Capital of the World" North Carolina
SPYDERCO fanatic since 1993
and also support BUCK knives

see ya on the threads!

Todd Foster aka STRIC9

[This message has been edited by STRIC9 (edited 02-26-2000).]

Buckcustom (john),

You are only a short drive from my brother (Phillip) and I. We are in Danville, VA.

Maybe we can meet in person at a show. Are you going to the show in Harrisonburg on April 1st? If so, look us up.

------------------
Barry
Jones Knives

Do you hear that?
That is the sound of inevitability.

Barry,

Yes, I will be at the SVKCA show in Harrisonburg. I will look out for you. Should be there first thing on Saturday morning. See you then.

------------------
John
Member NKCA
Member AKTI

I have lived in Northern Virginia for 50 of my 57 years. I now live in Arlington County, one of America's most densely populated, but I grew up in Fairfax County when we had woods in our backyard and could go out there and hunt, shoot, camp, and fish to our little hearts' content, forty years ago. Now its so crowded that they call the police if you f**t loudly.

"We gotta get outta this place, if its the last thing we ever do!"

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

Checking in here from the great metropolis of Atkins VA! ( Southwest VA, about 100 miles SW of Roanoke, & 50 miles from TN)

OK... so we don't even have a stoplight here... but we do have a STOP sign!
biggrin.gif

Good to see y'all here in the forums, I may be going to the Harrisonburg Show, It will be a good excuse to visit my brother... he lives in Harrisonburg.

------------------
Mark - AKA Excalibur

BTTT

------------------
John Foresman
Member NKCA
Member AKTI

Hey, Excalibur, I had the pleasure of going out to Floyd, Virginia, last October. I was going to the Floyd Monthly Meeting of the Religious SOciety of Friends (Quakers) to visit and had a lovely time with them. As many of them are country folk, they don't seem as alarmed as city Quakers do by the fact that I carry a knife around with me. Floyd County has one stop light, the one in the middle of the town of Floyd, the county seat. They had another, temporary, one for controlling single laning on a bridge that they were repairing, but that is now gone, so the county is back to one light.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

Has anyone ever been to the big flea market get together in Galax over Labor Day weekend? I have never been, but have heard that there are plenty of knives and guns to be had. I plan on going next year.

Ewok, Yes, being born in Harrisonburg counts!

------------------
John Foresman
Member NKCA
Member AKTI

Well I'm born, raised, and still living in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I'm working on getting a promotion that would put me in Roanoke.

------------------
Dave

Let no one ever from henceforth say one word in any way countenancing war. It is dangerous even to speak of how here and there the individual may gain some hardship of soul by it. For war is hell, and those who institute it are criminals. Siegfried Loraine Sassoon

Dave,

HOpe you get that promotion. I am sure you will enjoy Roanoke. I live about 30 miles east. It's the big city to us, but will be like a small town to you after San Francisco.

------------------
John Foresman
Member NKCA
Member AKTI

Thought I'd bring this BTTT, since I'm definitely going to be relocating to Roanoke.

------------------
Dave

Let no one ever from henceforth say one word in any way countenancing war. It is dangerous even to speak of how here and there the individual may gain some hardship of soul by it. For war is hell, and those who institute it are criminals. Siegfried Loraine Sassoon

Well, I'll raise my hand for knife fanciers in Fairfax county. Just bought a home in Fairfax city proper this past June.
-Jim

Resident in the Peoples Republic of Arlington. So named by my friends south of the Rapahannock River. Roanoke is a nice town and the area is nice. While you're there, run on up one Friday afternoon and take a look at the retreat parade at the Virginia Military Institute. I underwent Rat year there, back in 1960-1961, not an experience that I would care to repeat, but then, an experience that I am not sure that I would have cared to miss, and that comment after a lot of thinking about it.

If you are into the War Between the States, the Shenandoah just reeks with it, as does most of Virginia, with re-enactments all over the place and museums and battlefields all around you. Word to the wise, as you go North in the Shenandoah (the Valley, as it is called), you are going down the Valley. Conversely, you go up the Valley as you go South. The is because the Valley rises in altitude as it goes South.

If you are into things Scottish, some of the best Highland Games on the East Coast are at Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina, not too far South of Roanoke. You can stay in Boone, NC, and drive over, but make any reservations very early, as it is very popular, indeed.

There are folk festivals all up and down the Shenandoah region and the Blue Ridge, if such attract you. I know that Winchester, at the North end of the Valley has a good one in the Fall.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

I apologize for butting in on you Virginians, but I wanted to respond to an old post from Buckcustom about the Labor Day show. The show is in Hillsville, VA, just east off I-77 just outside Galax. Used to exhibit there. Largest gun show I ever saw, lots of cutlery. The whole town is invaded by about 3000 dealers selling all kinds of stuff from crap to fine antiques, with the gun show smack dab in the middle. Starts on the Thursday before Labor Day. Go early, a lot of the dealers leave on Saturday to avoid the huge crowds of gawkers and nonbuyers. Be prepared for big crowds and lotso' walking. You can find anything there.Hope this helps you out. Bill

[This message has been edited by Brees (edited 12-20-2000).]

Hey Dave, Welcome to Roanoke! When you get here stop by Fire station #9 at Melrose and 24th street and ask for Jeremy. We have a bunch of Knife Knuts here for you to talk and trade with. (Bad neighborhood, better bring a knife!)Congrats on the promotion!

Back