Any Way To Identify A2, Or 01 Steel?

blue333

Gold Member
Hello All,
I'm looking at a few Fiddleback knives from several different sites and one does not list the knife steel. Is there markings or any tell tell signs that let you know what the steel is?
Does A2 have more pronounced spalting than 01? This is my only shot in the dark that I can think of. I'v noticed that the 01 models I have seen do not have a deep textured Spalting as the A2 models. (Could be completely wrong though?).
Thank you in advance for any insight offered my fellow blade nuts : )

Nice, Thank you guys! All the A2 models I have seen have some nice deep Spalting. Although I did come across an 01 with what was labeled as "Fiddle-Textured". The blade had a similar Spalting to A2.
Whomever did the work nailed it! I originally thought it was an A2 Steel. It came out gorgeous!

There are a few of the earliest spalted O-1 pieces that took the spalting almost as well A-2 does. If you run across any of those the O-1 oxidizes and tarnishes more quickly to to the enhanced corrosion resistance of the A-2

Nice, Thank you guys! All the A2 models I have seen have some nice deep Spalting. Although I did come across an 01 with what was labeled as "Fiddle-Textured". The blade had a similar Spalting to A2.
Whomever did the work nailed it! I originally thought it was an A2 Steel. It came out gorgeous!

The "fiddletexturing" has most always been reserved for that rare CPM-154 custom Fiddleback. Although, I do have one Fiddletextured knife in O1 and it does look awesome.

The older "popcorn spalting" on the earlier O1 knives shares the same level of awesomeness. I wish I had more with it.

But yes; the richer, deeper and darker texturing is the typical tell-tale sign of A2 over O1 Fiddlebacks.

Thank you for your response FeralGentleman.
Here is a pic of the Hiking Buddy I just ordered. 99.99% sure it' A2?
351ztok.jpg

Last edited:
Andy or Phil,
What type of finish is on this old school Woodsman? Looks awesome in person!!

UJqs7N4.jpg

GfHz39p.jpg

blue333 blue333 One other trick regarding A2 vs O1 is that there have not been any O1 Fiddlebacks produced for at least a year or more now that I can think of. That being said, if purchased from a dealer or Fiddleback Friday you are likely going to get a non stainless knife in A2.

Back