Any Winkler fans?

Just ordered my first Winkler, went with a Woodsman straight from Winkler.

I usually go with stainless steel blades, kinda pumped to try something different.

Super rad, they do a Mil/LEO discount too.
Have you received the woodsman? I’m looking into buying one and wanted some feedback.

I don't own one, but I'm a fan. I like the crude look. When I first saw them, I wondered a bit exactly what it is you get for your money, but a solid, well made custom fixed blade in 80CrV2 is always interesting.

Hey there

IMG-20200801-192616-287.jpg

The skeletonising of the tang is a production oriented way of not having to do a tapered tang, which I am sure is vastly more costs to do accurately.
I don't have anything against tangs with cut outs, but when you get a knife with a tapered tang, you know the maker really put some effort into finessing the balance!
My Winkler Operator has a tapered tang. I didn't know the tang was tapered until I got it in hand.
Nice surprise for sure!

Here's a pic of the new Field knife...never new it had these curves. Distal taper and it is lighter and more lively in hand than it's size would suggest. :thumbsup:

wuAOEUHl.jpg

Amazing. Each Winkler is different, which drives quality control nuts insane but also makes up for some knives that are even better that advertised. Yours is recurved AND pointy.

That's also why it's important to see the actual Winkler you're buying or ask for pics of the specific knife.

Last edited:
I need to take a few pix, but I just got my first two. An Operator with camo G-10, and a NSW Dagger with camo G-10.
Really liking Winkler's G-10.

I've been exploring some other models and grabbed a Pathfinder with camo G-10 today.
Anyone have one of the Recon's? I've been looking at that vs. a Crusher Spike.

Amazing. Each Winkler is different, which drives quality control nuts insane but also makes up for some knives that are even better that advertised. Yours is recurved AND pointy.

That's also why it's important to see the actual Winkler you're buying or ask for pics of the specific knife.

I saw a video from bladehq the other day on fixed blades and they had a Belt Knife with much more of a point than I'm used to seeing. I thought they had changed the design!

Amazing. Each Winkler is different, which drives qualitu control nuts insane but also makes up for some knives that are even better that advertised. Yours is recurved AND pointy.

I need to take a few pix, but I just got my first two. An Operator with camo G-10, and a NSW Dagger with camo G-10.
Really liking Winkler's G-10.

I've been exploring some other models and grabbed a Pathfinder with camo G-10 today.
Anyone have one of the Recon's? I've been looking at that vs. a Crusher Spike.

The Recon is the best feeling and best cutting and pointiest knife I own. Slightly heavier than the belt knife but feels lighter.

In my opinion one of the best knives they make, but it's co-designed and you can tell. Meaning it's made by Winkler but it lacks many Winkler aesthetic characteristics. The spike in the contrary shares many aesthetic cues with belt knives etc... I've not handled that one.

I saw a video from bladehq the other day on fixed blades and they had a Belt Knife with much more of a point than I'm used to seeing. I thought they had changed the design!
You have a link to the video?

The Recon is the best feeling and best cutting and pointiest knife I own. Slightly heavier than the belt knife but feels lighter.

In my opinion one of the best knives they make, but it's co-designed and you can tell. Meaning it's made by Winkler but it lacks many Winkler aesthetic characteristics. The spike in the contrary shares many aesthetic cues with belt knives etc... I've not handled that one.

Thank you for your feedback!

Crap! I was hoping this wasn't going to be a "Buy Both" situation... Both have been discontinued, and there's only a few floating around out there.
I REALLY like the Operator, so I may snag a Recon first.

I think it's just an optical illusion on the Belt Knife in that video - or maybe the point bevel was ground better and not rounded off.

My Belt Knife looks like the photo above.

The video looks like a deeper sweep of the curve on the spine... maybe this is a special one? Personally I'd prefer more point... it's one of the reasons why I'm selling off mine and sticking with the Case Winkler Skinner.

Well I'd guess the one in the video is a newer run.

The only special ones I've seen were the TAD Gear ones and they didn't look like that.

My Belt Knife looks like the photo above.

The video looks like a deeper sweep of the curve on the spine... maybe this is a special one? Personally I'd prefer more point... it's one of the reasons why I'm selling off mine and sticking with the Case Winkler Skinner.

All winklers are different and some changes are introduced from time to time I suspect. I've seen at least five different iterations of the belt knife ( including this one) Write to them, they will surely reply.

I noticed the Case Winkler knives are similarly priced to the regular Winklers. Are the Case versions hand made as well or is Case mass producing them and selling them for a premium? I'd rather buy direct if they aren't the real deal.

Back