Anybody driven the new Ford Ranger?

Its really hard to compare some of the trucks apples to apples. New emission laws, power vs fuel economy, even stuff like stock tire size all make a difference, and there are certainly trade offs that get made, which are not always noted. I have a suspicion that a few companies looked at what happened to VW and quietly made sure they were closer to honest.

I see that the new Ranger is finally out. I had a 2002 for 12 years, 210,000 miles. I loved that truck but the body ended up rusting out so badly it wouldn't pass inspection.

I haven't seen one in person, there aren't too many around here yet. They seem kind of pricy, but then everything is.

For whatever reason, I love small trucks and big cars. I do not like the full size pickups at all for what I need them for.
No, but I like its looks and I like Fords.

Zieg

Its really hard to compare some of the trucks apples to apples. New emission laws, power vs fuel economy, even stuff like stock tire size all make a difference, and there are certainly trade offs that get made, which are not always noted. I have a suspicion that a few companies looked at what happened to VW and quietly made sure they were closer to honest.

I remember the VW Rabbit pickup to be very popular. Especially the diesel version.

I've been looking forward to the "new" Ranger for a long time, but reviews so far have been underwhelming from what I've seen. Kind of a letdown but maybe the next iteration will involve a more comprehensive redesign instead of using an existing model. I haven't driven one yet, but I think I'll keep looking at the Colorados or a used Taco.
Have not driven a new Ranger. I have seen them on the highway and they appear to be real nice and sized pretty much the same as the Cheve and Toyota versions.

I was also real interested in the new Ford Ranger from an informational point of view since I bought a new Tacoma in Dec. 2017 (a year + months old now). Have had zero problems with the Tacoma. I love it. My nephew has a Colorado and loves it. The resale on the Colorado and Tacoma is very good. But I was not that concerned about that issue. I was more interested in dependability and I have owned a Toyota pickup (both 4x2's and 4x4's) since 1980. The worst problem I ever had with any of them was having to replace the AC condenser on my 2nd one. With my history, it is hard for me to choose anything other than a Toyota PU.

Cost is an issue. Toyota's are I believe the most expensive. I think they approach being totally worth it if you look at the competition price-wise IF you consider dependability. Other than liking something, I want dependable... for years.

The V6 is plenty of power for these mid-size pickups. I think the 4 cyl versions are a little under powered. But, this all depends on your use. I have a 4 cyl 4x2 Tacoma. It does just fine. I don't pull a trailer or a boat. So, it has enough power for me. You get used to the power level and adjust. The only time I ever really take notice of the power issue is the down shifting on steep hills and if I need to accelerate quickly pulling out into traffic. It does just fine for me.

Like the OP, I don't haul much stuff. All of my PU's had a tool box mounted in the back and I just filled it up with crap and the crap just stayed there.... for years and years. There of course was important stuff stored in there. Finding it was somewhat of an issue at times. I have a heavy plastic box now in the bed to hold the necessary items with room for additional stuff if needed to be locked up. I bought a box large enough that it would be a pain in the butt for someone to steal it and it is also cabled (with lock) to the truck. I wanted a storage box that is easy to move out of the truck if I need to haul something larger and need the bed space. It has worked out and everything inside has been dry. Cost was about $50.

I am content and recommend the Tacoma. If you want larger, go Tundra. If you need a lot of power, go V8 with the Tundra. They are just so darn expensive these days. All of them are for the most part.

If the new Ranger is true to Ford form, the suspension will be softer than the Tacoma or Colorado. You pay for that softer highway ride over time if you haul much stuff with suspension issues. I have those with my Ford Van. But it has served me very well overall. Biggest repair bill was about $1000-$1200 on the Van. I only use the Van for work.

Just bought a new Toyota car for my wife in the last couple of weeks. Hope it is as dependable as her last car (a Corolla). Like I said, it is hard for me to choose anything other than Toyota any more if there is a model that works for my intended use.

Added: On the car issue, my wife was looking at used cars. I was at the Toyota dealer for service on my Tacoma (warranty check with 15K mileage). Anyway, I saw a new car (Yaris model), her color, and was only a couple thousand more than what she was looking at used. (It's 3.7" less wide than the Corolla.) She test drove it later that day, we made the deal, and she drove it home. My only concern is that the Mexican made Toyota's may not be as reliable as the US or Japan made ones.... no idea. We'll see. It is a done deal.

The surprise on the Yaris purchase was I made an offer below what they quoted me and they accepted it. Did this with a cell phone text.... wonders never cease. The dealers in my area pretty much quote you a price and it is usually sticker or close to it and essentially say "take it or leave it". This was a change of pace for sure. My wife is tickled with her new car!

Last edited:
I have a buddy who bought a Colorado diesel and loves it but.... It was over $50,000 and it was not a top of the line one (near it though).

I have heard at least one model of Toyota pickup has serious frame weld issues. That is all I know. I don't know which model/models are involved.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Ford.

Good luck though!

I heard that some owners of the new Ranger are experiencing a leaky transmission so I ended up getting a '17 F150 instead. I can say that the F150 is a solid truck. Ride quality is not the smoothest but still comfy and quiet. Now I'm planning to get a retractable RollNLock tonneau cover to secure my belongings in the truck bed.

I haven't driven one or even seen one on the road. I'm disappointed in the reviews. Rough ride and already dated. Of course, although its "new" its just a version of the Ranger that has been sold around the world for years.

Guess I'll just drive the Frontier into the ground.

I wish KIA made trucks. My 2011 Sorento has yet to need anything other than regular maintenance, brakes, and tires. That 3.5L V6 is a monster. It chirps the tires in both 1st and 2nd, and it's an automatic. Only 51k on it, so time will tell.

It's stupid fast as well.

My dad got a 2017 F-150 in October, and it's nice, but trucks, especially full size, are so overpriced.

18k, XLT, cloth, nav, short bed, chrome exterior package,4x4, towing package. $35k. Back in 2015, I bought my Sorento for $22,500. 22,000 miles, top of the line, every option but AWD.

He then went out and bought an ARE cap. He's probably spent at least $10k in accessories.

I'd like a pick up, but need 3 rows.

I owned a Jeep Liberty with the turbo diesel. That little 4 cylinder had some power! But every 20k the EGR valve would clog and the shop would have it for a week for replacement. I ended up with an f150. We only have the STX 4x4 with a topper. It wasn’t super expensive after loyalty discount, veterans discount, and I bought it during the Memorial Day sale (2014)
We were shopping for a used truck and buying new we got a better deal and a lower payment. Plus Mama got a new truck.......

... We were shopping for a used truck and buying new we got a better deal and a lower payment. Plus Mama got a new truck.......
We had the same experience with a new car. With low interest rate and other incentives by the manufacturer, it makes a new car fairly competitive with a used one. Plus you are getting a NEW car versus someone else's trade in that you have no idea with regard to maintenance history.

The price of new pickups is scary. On the surface the cost makes no sense other than people like and want them. I have been very pleased with my 2017 Tacoma. Comparing it to my old Toyota, the difference is like night and day with included features even with what is considered the base model.

Just remember: in a barrel of crude oil only about 10% of that is gasoline. 50% is diesel and bunker fuel.

Given GM and Ford's reliability issues these days, Fiat all but ruining Dodge, and Nissan's terrible transmissions (go with a manual if you get a Nissan)... I would get a Tacoma or Tundra if I was in the market for a new truck.

I saw the new Jeep Gladiator "in person" today. Looks much better live than in the pictures. Don't think I'd buy a Jeep for a long term daily driver where 99% is on road but it looked nice.

I saw the new Jeep Gladiator "in person" today. Looks much better live than in the pictures. Don't think I'd buy a Jeep for a long term daily driver where 99% is on road but it looked nice.
I like the look a lot. All reviews I have seen say it is pretty nice on pavement with the longer wheelbase. Seeing so many people talk about reliability issues with the JL + that starting price though...

Given GM and Ford's reliability issues these days, Fiat all but ruining Dodge, and Nissan's terrible transmissions (go with a manual if you get a Nissan)... I would get a Tacoma or Tundra if I was in the market for a new truck.
What reliability issues,especially what ones on a Ford???

What reliability issues,especially what ones on a Ford???
Off the top of my head, Ford just recalled automatic transmissions on 1.5 million f150’s because they were randomly shifting down to first gear at highway speeds. They had an issue with fuel pump assembly welds and doors unlatching as well, although I don’t know if those affected as many vehicles.

GM had a ton of power steering failures recently. Dodge had steering and brake failure issues with the Ram.

Last edited:
We have a fleet of Fords we use in construction and have not had any of these problems.Only recall we had was door latch on the half tons with suicide doors.These trucks are 2010's thru 2019..I had a 03 RAM with 250k miles with out any problems.My friends that I work with that have Chevys and I don't recall them having ANY problems other than front end CV joints and that was well after 100k.

I believe you. Just going off of what I have read. I would also add the caveat on the F150 that that is 1.5 million against about 22 million sold per year. So it is a smaller percentage of the total output. Small sample size also isn't indicative of overall trucks on the road either when it comes to anecdotal evidence. As for the RAM, I am leery of Chrysler since Fiat got a hold of them in 2014. I have an 07 Dakota that has been great, just regular maintenance and standard repairs you would expect over time.

What did you end up replacing the Ram with?

Back