Anybody else give up on high-end carry?

Aside from aesthetics, I swear Spyderco has the best user/beater knives.

Since it seems that your day-to-day life requires a knife, do you care for after-market components/mods on your Spydies?

I love my Endura 4 with a plain Saber grind blade. Its my favorite edc. I don't have any mods and or components added to it. Its perfect the way it is. :thumbsup:

I think everything has its place. I mean there are a lot of people that customize a gun. The custom knives are absolutely incredibly expensive. But it's like buying a painting from an artist. You are buying and supporting their creativity and style. Some production knives may be a different story.

I thought I wouldn't buy over $200. Then I surpassed it. I'll be honest though I don't use and abuse them rather than my sub $200 knives. Unless it's the Medford Praetorian, that thing is a tank.

I carried a $25 Gerber for 20 years before I started getting 'into' knives. I never felt under knifed. Everyone has a sweet spot, it can change over time one way or the other, it's all very relative.

I just have the means now and enjoy using better gear, still have the old Gerber but don't use it anymore, I bet one of my younger kids will. I have 2 10 yo's, a 35 yo and a 38 yo (all with the same lady), they all need knives too. I've been giving knives away for a few years now, everyone's getting upgraded as I upgrade :) My youngest boy has 5 hand me downs. My young daughter asked about one the other day, now she has a neat little Kershaw Zing. My wife carries an M390 Dividend and a purple ZT 0609. Run what ya brung and don't fret about the other guys.

I’m with him ^^

I can understand not abusing a high end knife but life’s to short to not carry what you like

I will admit that my Yojimbo’s get a lot of carry but I’d still carry them if they were double the price and for a modified one your over 200 bucks

Nope, regardless of the cost I bought my knives to use...so I do. My collection ranges from $50 to about $700 right now, and using them just doesn't bother me. I'm sure there is a price at which I would, but mine is just much higher than yours. It's probably because I'm a pretentious person by nature, so I like wearing pricier clothing brands too...are they better?...not by a much if any...but that doesn't stop me from buying and wearing them...
Sounds like you enjoy every second of life :thumbsup:

Beware of what comes later;
with the passing of time
and much mellowness,
post addiction will mark one
with a deep sense of guilt
for each time one see's
the folly of times past...
don't continue to live with stuff that
tends to bring about such feelings.
make amends and make up
for it with more down to earth
material possessions.
and always promise to yourself
to be completely honest and realistic
when judging material worth... ;-)
know what its true worth means to you.
discard the short term longing,
this past time is a life long pursuit :)
you'll feel redemption once
you learn to share with others
who have little or none.
have faith to do the right thing
as humans, we can't go on forever
in life being stuck in reverse gear :)

That was wholesomely beautiful!

Reminds me of the unforgettable quote from Fight Club, "The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

Nowadays, I'm more experience orientated. People, adventures, and stories. Maybe this degree of minimalism is very antithetical to this forum, heh.

Since my Spyderco Dragonfly (of all things) was stolen, I’m just left with a few CRKs and a Shirogorov. I do tend to leave the one with wood inlays and Damascus blade at home... just too pretty to get scratched up.

I had L21, S21, Mnandi all dressed up in Elder Burl. I was too
One of my friend's friend lost a ROCKSTEAD while travelling across the city. So I wanna make sure I am carrying a dragonfly when out.
Dear Lord...

I lose sleep over losing a pen or chapstick... :eek:

That would scar me for life.

I like to use a knife that will bring a smile to my face when I'm working.

ma0O59M.jpg

I have some expensive knives, RHK and CRK. I m saving them for later and using mostly 35-120 dollar work knives now. Just more comfortable for me.

If I lose or break a 95 dollar knife that I like, I ll replace it. If I lose or break a 250 dollar knife, and I really like it, I might replace it (next Christmas). If I lose a 450 dollar knife, I m not getting another one. I just don t use that kind of knife, and the pleasure from looking at it and handling it isn t worth it to me currently.

I keep thinking I might have enough knives. There s just one that might be my last, this Christmas. I m waiting to see if it goes on sale.

Last edited:
The most expensive knife I've ever carried and used was around $600. I didn't mind using it, but I was paranoid about losing it.

Some days I'll carry a $100 factory folder, and other days I'll carry a custom fixed blade I made. Just depends on what I'm doing that day. If I lose the fixed blade, I can just make another one. Losing a $100 folder hurts, but not like losing something far more expensive.

Most of my "high end" knives stay at home.

I love my Endura 4 with a plain Saber grind blade. Its my favorite edc. I don't have any mods and or components added to it. Its perfect the way it is. :thumbsup:

Endura + Delica will follow me to the grave. I recommend you get one with carbon steel... the thin blade profile w/ a patina is darn sexy. I'll snap a picture of my vtoku2 laminates when I chop up breakfast :cool:

I carried a $25 Gerber for 20 years before I started getting 'into' knives. I never felt under knifed. Everyone has a sweet spot, it can change over time one way or the other, it's all very relative.

I just have the means now and enjoy using better gear, still have the old Gerber but don't use it anymore, I bet one of my younger kids will. I have 2 10 yo's, a 35 yo and a 38 yo (all with the same lady), they all need knives too. I've been giving knives away for a few years now, everyone's getting upgraded as I upgrade :) My youngest boy has 5 hand me downs. My young daughter asked about one the other day, now she has a neat little Kershaw Zing. My wife carries an M390 Dividend and a purple ZT 0609. Run what ya brung and don't fret about the other guys.
I remember when I started this hobby, I would frown on every knife under the Benchmade/Spyderco price point; ugh, I was such a stupid snob!! :rolleyes:

Nowadays, I cherish all knives. Moreover, sharpened steel is sharpened steel. Who cares about the country of origin, brand, steel, etc... All that matters to me is if you're using the knife with respect!

For those of you carrying a knife for the sake of searching for trouble, so that you can whip it out and re-enact a movie scene, shame on you!

Good question OP. I have. I now carry a griptilian or buck 055. Sold off all my customs, crk's, strider, etc. Really loved them all, but just wanted to simplify things. That and I realized I actually don't like framelocks.

View attachment 1175751 I recently did almost the exact same thing. I literally recently sold all my folders just out of boredom with all the keeping up with all new newest and best. Don’t worry it won’t last, but as we speak all I’m down to is this delica, and I figure I’m just gonna use the hell out of it and c just how much it’ll take!

Sold everything off, my Spyderco Delica cuts better than any knife I owned costing from 2 or 6X the price. It was fun buying them though.

lol! its not a unique affliction :)
deep down, its your sub-conscience
mind wresting with the probability
of you having paid way too much
for something which you thought
would make a superior choice.
only to find that it has enslaved
you to caution in fear of loosing
its material value of what you think
it represent... expensive and precious.
but that is only in relation to one's
financial standing and common sense
spending in the first place.
it looks like materilism got the better
of you and a whole lotta folks who
buy into lavishness instead of
cost effectiveness.
getting torn between the
static versus active knife mindset
can be cured by way of getting
in touch with your deepet emotions
and seeing which action gives more joy ..
or increased anxiety :)

Be one with the blade :p

This is so true though! Double the price absolutely doesn't mean double the joy or double the performance. :)
Pebbles and diamonds....both amount to a rock but pebbles are more fun and diamonds don't skip as far across the creek ;)

(Note: Lefties, Inkosi, and 940s are not mine! Met up with a fellow redditor to trade)

0IQQeaW.jpg

Present-day
kvITovf.jpg

My high end range is between $200 to $300. ZT, Lionsteel, Microtech. I use them just like any other knife. I do swear when I break the tip of a high end knife, but I also swear when that happens on a budget knife. I swear when the juice of a peach runs into the bearings of a $250 knife. I swear when I f*ck up the edge geometry when sharpening an expensive knife. I swear when I scratch the handle anodizing tossing the knife on the floor when doing some stuff. Long story short. I swear a lot. But I get to use some fine knives doing it.

Idk I guess it depends what you consider high end. My EDC beater is collectively ~$250 (para 2 w/ putman scales) which my yearly salary doesn't consider "cheap" but I probably wouldn't be carrying a $500+ blade just anywhere.

Your pictures are always so richly amazing. The absurd level of quality in all the leatherwork on the belts, saddles, chaps, saddles, etc. you post never ceases to impress me. I sit at a desk all day, and am absolutely not the target market for your work, but I enjoy seeing it all the same!

Thank you sir!

Back