Anybody fish with "vintage" gear?

I would, but I'm still simply learning to fish. With most things, I prefer classic and vintage.

My knife preferences lean towards simple steels, but synthetic handles like g10 and micarta. For some reason not a fan of bone and wood handles, slip joints, etc.

But with a lotta outdoor stuff, that old school vibe sits in with the experience more. Too many people I pass by when fishing or hiking are staring at their phones or blaring music. On speakers. Rude.

That fact alone, in my mind, is all the justification I need to geek out on my gear a little more than necessary. If I enjoy the gear getting me outside, that's all the more reason to stop worrying about the latest Hillary rant on facebook or drowning out the sounds of the forest with Kanye West. Shudder.

I was at Cabelas the other day to purchase a new rod. The glass counter had a display of old school fishing gear from the past. As I stared at my synthetic graphite rod and multi bearing cnc spinning reel and pile of disposable tackle, I caught myself thinking "Why can't I buy some of THAT?"

Thx.

The antique mall in Coburg is where I find a lot of my stuff. Small world.

Indeed it is :D Their store was next top the Coburg Inn, but after my wife's mom passed away, they decided to close the store.
If you have never gone before, you and Karen need to go to Coburg during the Street Fair and Golden Years.
They block off all of the streets in the little down town area, and there are probably 6 blocks including the streets and park, and fill
them with dealers who have set up tables. I don't like people, but it is actually a lot of fun and you can find some really cool stuff.

I would, but I'm still simply learning to fish. With most things, I prefer classic and vintage.

My knife preferences lean towards simple steels, but synthetic handles like g10 and micarta. For some reason not a fan of bone and wood handles, slip joints, etc.

But with a lotta outdoor stuff, that old school vibe sits in with the experience more. Too many people I pass by when fishing or hiking are staring at their phones or blaring music. On speakers. Rude.

That fact alone, in my mind, is all the justification I need to geek out on my gear a little more than necessary. If I enjoy the gear getting me outside, that's all the more reason to stop worrying about the latest Hillary rant on facebook or drowning out the sounds of the forest with Kanye West. Shudder.

I was at Cabelas the other day to purchase a new rod. The glass counter had a display of old school fishing gear from the past. As I stared at my synthetic graphite rod and multi bearing cnc spinning reel and pile of disposable tackle, I caught myself thinking "Why can't I buy some of THAT?"

Thx.

You can still buy it, but you won't find it in any of the stores. Funny thing is, a lot of the vintage stuff can still be had for
a decent price. Granted a lot of it is very collectable now, and priced accordingly, but you can still get a good rod and reel setup
for far less than some of the new stuff.
The really cool thing is, the old vintage stuff that is 50-60 years old now, will still be around and working in another 50-60 years
and unless you pay a ridiculous price for something, you can always get your money back. If you hang on to it longer enough, it will
probably be worth more than you paid for it. You can't say that about a lot of things made today

Getting this combo together, redid the rod with new guides and modern spacing. Rod is a 56-59 model 8100L, tubular glass light action 6' St. Croix. Great little rod and only weighs 4oz, very light for its age!

The reel has been gone through and everything inside refreshed. It's a nice smooth little reel.

20160403_215724_zpstqddneuh.jpg

-Xander

Finally fished this rod yesterday, didn't use the reel as I didn't have enough line on my filler spool, used a new Okuma SV-25 spinning reel instead (also first use for the reel). Let me just say that I absolutely love this rod! The action is surprisingly moderate to fast and snappy for being a 'glass rod. I'm so glad I redid it with modern spacing and single foot guides (now 6+tip top vs 4+tip top originally). The fish were all small schooling bluegill (3"-5" mostly) but with the fight they put up it still put a good bend in the rod.

If someone were looking for that old school class but with a more modern feel and action, I highly recommend the 8100-L.

-Xander

Getting this combo together, redid the rod with new guides and modern spacing. Rod is a 56-59 model 8100L, tubular glass light action 6' St. Croix. Great little rod and only weighs 4oz, very light for its age!

The reel has been gone through and everything inside refreshed. It's a nice smooth little reel.

20160403_215724_zpstqddneuh.jpg

-Xander

I just got a 2210 version of that reel off the bay. It's in excellent condition, and is very smooth, and I like color :D
It's without a doubt the best buy I have gotten on a reel. It had a starting bid of 99 cents and I watched it for a few days
and noticed nobody was bidding so I figured what the heck. Figured I would put a max bid of $10 and see what happened...
Ended up that nobody else bid on it, so I scored it for 99 cents. I really expected the seller to tell me he couldn't sell
it that cheap, but he was very cool about it and sold it. I'll take a picture tomorrow...

Awhile back I picked up an early Wright McGill 7 foot spinning rod. It was in nice condition but one of the guide wraps was bad,
so I called one of the local fly fishing stores and got the name of a gal that does rod repair and also builds custom rods.

I wanted her to re-wrap that guide with thread as close to original as possible, but she said she couldn't get a real good match
and it was going to be fairly noticeable, so I had her redo all of the guides and ferrules...

I picked it up today, and I am a very happy camper. She did a beautiful job and it totally transformed the rod. Almost looks like
a custom rod now. I was really doubting putting that much money into the old rod, and thought it was kinda stupid, but once I saw it,
any doubt and second guessing went right out the window... I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow too.

I am not trying to sound like know it all, but have I have been collecting, repairing and fishing older USA made Penn reels for the last 20 years. No long compared to how long the company has been in business but I have worked on about 80% of the reel models they ever made.

I got into them because they are one of the few that made left handled saltwater gear.

These days the majority are made offshore, so my recent purchases have been Avet reels made in the US.

If you have questions on models, repairs etc on the Penn reels I can help.

I am not trying to sound like know it all, but have I have been collecting, repairing and fishing older USA made Penn reels for the last 20 years. No long compared to how long the company has been in business but I have worked on about 80% of the reel models they ever made.

I got into them because they are one of the few that made left handled saltwater gear.

These days the majority are made offshore, so my recent purchases have been Avet reels made in the US.

I will probably be taking you up on that offer. All of my old Penns are in great shape right now but I am doing my best to wear them down.
I wish I could find a freshwater size reel stand for an 85. I would love to use it on my Lamiglas graphite but the stand is too big. I hate the idea of modding it but I might have to.

My Penn collection is still very small... I have two 109's, one 209, one 60, an old blue version 720, and a very nice 716Z...
I bought what was supposed to be a mint condition 712 off of the bay a couple weeks ago, and when the reel arrived, it wasn't
the same reel he described and had pictured. The one he sent had a LOT of boat rash, some rust on the bail, and the wrong handle.
It also had a clunking sound inside, so something was messed up. I was not a happy camper :mad:

He knew he sent a different reel. I asked and he said it was the only one he had. I know mistakes happen, but I let him know
I wasn't happy with blatant deception, and I took pictures and turned it in to ebay. Needless to say I got a quick refund.
After hunting season is over, I will find another 712Z, A 714Z, and possibly a 720Z and 722Z.

They are great reels and very easy to work on, although I don't have any experience fixing round reels

I will probably be taking you up on that offer. All of my old Penns are in great shape right now but I am doing my best to wear them down.
I wish I could find a freshwater size reel stand for an 85. I would love to use it on my Lamiglas graphite but the stand is too big. I hate the idea of modding it but I might have to.

The model 85's were common reels used for piers and mass charter boats... tons of them out there for cheap so if you want to mod one to fit a freshwater reel seat, go for it, they are easily found.

My favorites are the Senators (both the Black and the high speed Red ones), Jigmasters, the older green spinners, and of course the Internationals. I have a 50W International that has an ingenious left handed mod done, may be one of the few in the country. I found it about 15 years ago on eBAY in horrible condition.... looked like it was cleaned with a grinder and wire brush.

I used to call the Penn repair center in Philly about once a week looking for parts and got to know a few of the guys there. One day I got a box with a like new International 50W frame and side plates in the mail from Penn .... at no cost (roughly $400 in parts)... maybe "blem" parts?!?!? dunno. Called the guy I knew in repair there to thank him and he played it off as having no idea what I was talking about... no joke.

A friend of mine had one of the best collections of old Penn reels on display down on the Gulf side of Florida. The Penn sales reps and even execs used to come in and view his collection he had on display. It was was so unique and complete a bet few others has one so extensive. He passed a few years back, but I am proud to have contributed a few items that are on display in his case.

Last edited:
My Penn collection is still very small... I have two 109's, one 209, one 60, an old blue version 720, and a very nice 716Z...
I bought what was supposed to be a mint condition 712 off of the bay a couple weeks ago, and when the reel arrived, it wasn't
the same reel he described and had pictured. The one he sent had a LOT of boat rash, some rust on the bail, and the wrong handle.
It also had a clunking sound inside, so something was messed up. I was not a happy camper :mad:

He knew he sent a different reel. I asked and he said it was the only one he had. I know mistakes happen, but I let him know
I wasn't happy with blatant deception, and I took pictures and turned it in to ebay. Needless to say I got a quick refund.
After hunting season is over, I will find another 712Z, A 714Z, and possibly a 720Z and 722Z.

They are great reels and very easy to work on, although I don't have any experience fixing round reels

Sorry to hear...

My favorite older Penn spinner is the 706. A huge surf casting reel with a manual bail, very sturdy and very collectible. I have a 706Z in the box that was issued about 17 years ago that I have not fished yet, but used to be worth a good buck. I believe they again released the 706 a few years back.

I like the 700 and 704 "greenies".... built like tanks but not the smoothest reeling.

I could talk on this topic all day.

I absolutely love the Jigmasters. There are a few million of them out here on the west coast for good reason. They work. I only have two Senators right now, a 4/0 and a 6/0 but I'm always looking at the little ones. And the big ones. I want a 9/0 and a 12/0 even though I have no real(reel?) use for one.

I absolutely love the Jigmasters. There are a few million of them out here on the west coast for good reason. They work. I only have two Senators right now, a 4/0 and a 6/0 but I'm always looking at the little ones. And the big ones. I want a 9/0 and a 12/0 even though I have no real(reel?) use for one.

Good call on the Jigmaster... I have a couple I have put magnets in to help with backlash when casting from the beach.

Jigmasters come in red, maroon or black side plates (maybe some other colors too)... three piece chrome spools, one piece chrome spools, black aluminum spools and my favorite, red aluminum spools.

There are a few tricks where you can swap gears from other Penn reels to move the gear ratio up or down for power or speed. I have a old repair manual somewhere that showed how each of the parts could be interchanged.

I have a 525 Mag that is my favorite reel these days. Can cast it a mile with the right setup.

See now you got me started rambling.... ha!

Ramble on. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one interested in what you have to say and even if I am, who cares? :)

I know a charter captain on the Gulf that used an old 1940's 9/0 Senator spooled with 550 paracord that he used to fish Goliath grouper. He had a charter hook up with a fish and the rig got pulled out of their hands and overboard.

The Gulf on the "big bend" of Florida is not that deep in that area, under 50'. A year later he fished the same spot and snagged that rod/reel combo and pulled it up. It was covered in crud, barnacles and small sponges growing on it after being under the salt for 12 months. He gave me the reel and I soaked it for about a week in fresh water and then vinegar.

The spool was totally rotten,and the main gear and pinion lost a few teeth to corrosion. I cleaned up the side plates, the chrome on the bars, rings and the stand were worn off down to the brass, but everything else cleaned up fine. I replaced the main and pinion gear for about $15. Its and old one (I believe the drags were made out of asbestos).. and had a three part spool so I was not able to locate one (yet)... but if/when.... that bad boy can be fished.

Edit: Found this after my post. Actually here is a Youtube video of the captain. This is an old video, so not sure if this was the reel or he setup another after the same.

[video=youtube;3El3dIqzdIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3El3dIqzdIA[/video]

Scouts honor on the full story. I had pictures of before and after posted on a fishing site, but they were lost years and many computers ago.

After looking at the video, it is not the same reel since I see the one in this video has a black aluminum spool.

A few months ago I picked up a Wright McGill Champion 7 foot spinning rod. It was in nice condition, but for some weird reason, the stripper
guide had been twisted in the wrap a little :confused: The wrap was still fine, but it had to be redone to correctly straighten out the guide,
and she said she didn't think she could get a close match on the wrap, so I had her redo the entire rod...

I sent it to a gal that does rod repair and she also builds custom rods too. I had never dealt with her before, but she came very highly
recommended by a local fly fishing shop here where I live, so I took a chance...
I got it back on Monday, and am very happy with it. It totally transformed the rod. Unfortunately, for some reason my pictures
are really sucking today.

A couple weeks ago, I picked up a very early Wright McGill All American spinning rod. It certainly isn't mint condition, but it is still a nice old rod.
I don't know that I will ever fish with it, but it is cool, and has some history in the Wright McGill story...

IMG_20160824_182714533_zpsro54llpf.jpg

IMG_20160824_182742277_zpsjzfb17kn.jpg

IMG_20160824_182659125_zps2xhe3qha.jpg

IMG_20160824_182911528_zpspkqtylwo.jpg

IMG_20160824_183046848_zpsq0bzotbl.jpg

Another member posted a picture of an old Shakespeare reel awhile back, and I liked the look of it, and the color :D
So, I was keeping an eye out on the big auctions site, and came across this one...
It's a nice little reel. Very well made, and extremely smooth. It's my first old Shakespeare reel, but now I am looking at others :D

IMG_20160824_183135264_zpsjwvosjuk.jpg

Those are some pretty dang nice rods, those Wright & McGill! Don't go buying up all the vintage Shakespeare reels for cheap now that you know my secret! BTW, if you want a very nice little trout spinning reel, try finding a Bronson Buddy 800 spinning reel. They are fantastic, built like a tank, but very well made and nice running little reels. They're a little hard to find, but try and pick one up if you can.

Only pic I have handy of my Bronson Buddy reel right now...

Fotor_143968187343993_zpsw7ogxpra.jpg~original

-X

Those are some pretty dang nice rods, those Wright & McGill! Don't go buying up all the vintage Shakespeare reels for cheap now that you know my secret! BTW, if you want a very nice little trout spinning reel, try finding a Bronson Buddy 800 spinning reel. They are fantastic, built like a tank, but very well made and nice running little reels. They're a little hard to find, but try and pick one up if you can.

Only pic I have handy of my Bronson Buddy reel right now...

Fotor_143968187343993_zpsw7ogxpra.jpg~original

-X

Thanks... I won't buy all the Shakespeares lol. They are a great reel though, and I will probably pick up a few more in various models.
Thanks for the tip on the Bronson reels. I will keep an eye out for one.

I have been picking up old Wright McGill reels too. The gold colored versions. They are similar to the Shakespeare
in terms of build quality and smoothness. I have a 125, 225, 325 and another 225 if it ever gets here. I picked it up
on the auction site almost 4 weeks ago, but I think it disappeared into a black hole lol.

Back