anybody have an arc lock knife break?

I got a vulcan mini recently and took it apart and while the knife locks up tight and I love it overall the arc springs seem thin to me. My griptillian has a similar lock and its springs are much beefier. Has anyones arc lock or springs failed? I do know SOG statement on the testing of the arc lock but Id like first hand info from arc lock model owners opinion and experience with the durability of the arc lock. I use my carry knives hard and like your inputs. Thanks

I no longer own any, but had a pentagon elite 2 that I bashed around on for a couple of years, never had a problem. spring strength and thickness are not related, so I wouldn't worry about that. As long as you are looking after the springs (not just mashing on the lock bar more than needed, keeping them clean etc) they should last a long time. The axis lock can put different tension on the two springs, and I'm guessing the arc-lock can as well to a degree, but I've not heard of it being as much of a problem. Differing pressure on the axis lock (opening using just one side instead of both) is a spring killer. So as long as you are not just out to break it, it should be fine.

I had the entire Vulcan line all Arc Locks. NONE of them ever had a single issue with the Arc Lock springs etc. Just avoid the Wal Mart Flash and Trident toy knives with the fake Arc Locks. I have had 2 Pentagons and never had any issue with eithers lock.

Back