Anybody made a brisket slicer? SKETCH ADDED!

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t jealous every time you post pictures from your ranch. It looks like an awesome place. As a small time hobby farmer(90 acres and 30 head) I can only imagine the amount of work it takes.

Thanks, Don't sell yourself short though. You're not too far off the average herd in the US at 43.5 head! Its all a matter of perspective. Years back we sold off about 70% of our herd due to drought. Slowly we've been building back up keeping our own replacement heifers till we're right about back where we want to be. We actually intentionally under stock our place so that we can survive a couple of dry years without having to sell off again. Here's where the perspective comes in, so we've weaned and processed 9 heifers putting us right there, right where we want to be. Get back to the house and call my son to visit. Kinda goes like this: "What are you doing today?" "Processing replacements." "Us too." "How many ya keeping back?" "9, how about you?" "396, not too many." See a matter of perspective. I was telling the wife that story and she said yeah but the difference is ours are ours and his belong to a corporation. Land wise he has worked on outfits that are literally larger than some eastern states. One place in AZ had several individual pastures over 70,000 acres each! Those pastures are bigger than our ranch and the two that adjoin us on either side. Ya must have pretty good feed to run that stocking rate. We figure it takes thirty acres to feed a pair around here. This is his buddy Trapper, (I made Trappers leggings which is why they sent me this pic). My son was helping Trapper gather his 70,000 plus acres. Trapper was a "camp guy" meaning he lived in one of those huge pastures and took care of it, almost like it's a separate ranch. Lots of nothing but range as far as the eye can see:

7uEJ1LQ.jpg

Thanks, Don't sell yourself short though. You're not too far off the average herd in the US at 43.5 head! Its all a matter of perspective. Years back we sold off about 70% of our herd due to drought. Slowly we've been building back up keeping our own replacement heifers till we're right about back where we want to be. We actually intentionally under stock our place so that we can survive a couple of dry years without having to sell off again. Here's where the perspective comes in, so we've weaned and processed 9 heifers putting us right there, right where we want to be. Get back to the house and call my son to visit. Kinda goes like this: "What are you doing today?" "Processing replacements." "Us too." "How many ya keeping back?" "9, how about you?" "396, not too many." See a matter of perspective. I was telling the wife that story and she said yeah but the difference is ours are ours and his belong to a corporation. Land wise he has worked on outfits that are literally larger than some eastern states. One place in AZ had several individual pastures over 70,000 acres each! Those pastures are bigger than our ranch and the two that adjoin us on either side. Ya must have pretty good feed to run that stocking rate. We figure it takes thirty acres to feed a pair around here. This is his buddy Trapper, (I made Trappers leggings which is why they sent me this pic). My son was helping Trapper gather his 70,000 plus acres. Trapper was a "camp guy" meaning he lived in one of those huge pastures and took care of it, almost like it's a separate ranch. Lots of nothing but range as far as the eye can see:

7uEJ1LQ.jpg
Spot on. Everything in life is about perspective. It’s crazy how much acreage it takes to support a pair. Here we can get away with 2 acres per pair pretty comfortably. I also make around 50 knives a year and some folks make that in a couple weeks! I’m going with a bull nose design similar to yours and Mr. Carlson’s. I’ll be sure to post it when I get it finished.

I call this The Competition Carver. It was originally requested by two different competition bbq guys, hence the name, AEB-L @63 RC:

xOX9SqP.jpg

4yXhFSz.jpg

Basically my interpretation of an old Green River butcher knife type.

Ready to travel to the competitons. This one has an ironwood spacer:

7LjZxp8.jpg

Made one of our ranch cook Brother Bill, his has a cocobolo spacer:

VNJfBr7.jpg

DB1bhhL.jpg

kAuCoqY.jpg

No steak for the old retired cow dogs, he says. Dang, she says I'll just lay here and dream about the day:

Nm3fAZq.jpg

QqfxAkc.jpg
I've made several of that style for friends for processing game.

I call this The Competition Carver. It was originally requested by two different competition bbq guys, hence the name, AEB-L @63 RC:

xOX9SqP.jpg

4yXhFSz.jpg

Basically my interpretation of an old Green River butcher knife type.

Ready to travel to the competitons. This one has an ironwood spacer:

7LjZxp8.jpg

Made one of our ranch cook Brother Bill, his has a cocobolo spacer:

VNJfBr7.jpg

DB1bhhL.jpg

kAuCoqY.jpg

No steak for the old retired cow dogs, he says. Dang, she says I'll just lay here and dream about the day:

Nm3fAZq.jpg

QqfxAkc.jpg

I have started to be able to tell your knives just by glancing briefly at the handle and bolsters. I saw the first picture without reading who's post it was, and I thought that looks like one of Horsewrights knives, then I noticed it was yours.
You have a very distinct trademark handle construction style, I don't know if it's the pins and bolster and spacer arrangement or what. I can just instantly tell your knives apart from others.
They are lovely knives.

I have started to be able to tell your knives just by glancing briefly at the handle and bolsters. I saw the first picture without reading who's post it was, and I thought that looks like one of Horsewrights knives, then I noticed it was yours.
You have a very distinct trademark handle construction style, I don't know if it's the pins and bolster and spacer arrangement or what. I can just instantly tell your knives apart from others.
They are lovely knives.

Thanks for the kind words! I guess I do, do them my way.

I like the flow of the lines. Don Nguyen did one of these, there is a two part series showing the knife also used by the cook on YT. Notice that these can even be used for the food prep work (dicing and slicing veggies as well). A bit shorter neck or extending the handle scales would offer a bit more handle support if the user decides to choke up on the knife spine IMHO.

These are some awesome knives! I'm still fairly new to knife making but been doing BBQ for years. I have a smoker trailer and cater events. Of course brisket is king here in TX. My main slicers are some 10 and 12 inch Henckels with Granton blades. I can't say those scallops seem to make any difference to me. But one of my goals is to make my own set of knives for serving. I love the cocobolo insert above. I have a small piece left over from a guitar I built and now I think I know what I'm going to do with it. At minimum I take two slicers, a cleaver for chickens and turkeys, and a rigid carver for ribs. I've been looking for a good all-around slicing shape that can take some heavy use, and I am thinking that I just found it. Thanks for showing your awesome work.

These are some awesome knives! I'm still fairly new to knife making but been doing BBQ for years. I have a smoker trailer and cater events. Of course brisket is king here in TX. My main slicers are some 10 and 12 inch Henckels with Granton blades. I can't say those scallops seem to make any difference to me. But one of my goals is to make my own set of knives for serving. I love the cocobolo insert above. I have a small piece left over from a guitar I built and now I think I know what I'm going to do with it. At minimum I take two slicers, a cleaver for chickens and turkeys, and a rigid carver for ribs. I've been looking for a good all-around slicing shape that can take some heavy use, and I am thinking that I just found it. Thanks for showing your awesome work.

Thanks for the kind words. I never did mention the measurements on mine. The blade is 12 1/8" with an oal of 17.5".

Back