Anybody read Arabic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was shown a picture and asked if I had any idea what the written message was.
mk4Hcr7.gif
I don't know any Arabic, although I'm pretty sure it has some religious context. Anybody have any idea what it might say?
NYhKOqh.png

The men in the photograph are not soldiers, they are seminarians at some madrassa or Muslim seminary. Making a guess from their peaceful demeanor, I'd guess they represent a Deobandi madrassa in Pakistan and their banner is in Urdu promoting their madrassa or one of the little Deobandi political parties in Pakistan like Jamiat Ulema-e Islam (Assembly of Islamic Clerics).

Their banner looks nothing like a Taliban flag. Taliban means "seminarians" and their movement began in Deobandi madrassas hijacked by a foreign power, but Deobandi seminarians are not the Taliban.

The Taliban are fighting a civil war in Afghanistan with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant – Khorasan Province (ISIL-KP or ISKP). Their flag looks nothing like the banner in the OP's photograph.

There is no Khorasan Province in the modern world. Medieval geography knew of a place called Greater Khorasan, and medieval Iraq had a Khorasan province which included part of modern Afghanistan and adjacent parts of Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Iran, where there are nice cities today for ISIL-KP to plunder and destroy. Ambitious, aren't they?

I was shown a picture and asked if I had any idea what the written message was.
mk4Hcr7.gif
I don't know any Arabic, although I'm pretty sure it has some religious context. Anybody have any idea what it might say?
NYhKOqh.png

Taliban flag .

Pretty sure it says “Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan” in Pashto.

OK, Thanks. I think you are correct.....
Not knowing Arabic, Urdu, Turkish or Persian, I had a cup of coffee and used Google's reverse image search to see where the photograph came from. It has been cropped, this is the whole photograph.

Praying_tree.jpg

This photograph is everywhere! It is the "ruku tree" allegedly found in the woods near Sydney, Australia, bowed in the position of prayer (ruku) indicating qibla, the direction toward the Kaaba in the Sacred Mosque in Mecca. Some think it's a miracle, some think it's coincidence; some think it's a doctored photograph and a hoax. It's like Our Lady of the Underpass, a salt stain and purported appearance of the Virgin Mary under the Kennedy Expressway along Fullerton Avenue in Chicago. But no one seems to have a geographic location for the tree except "near Sydney, Australia."

Virgin_mary_salt_stain_1.jpg

And I still can't read the banner behind those seminarians, but I'll guess it's something about a praying tree. Not Taliban, not ISIL-KP. Just naive religious faith hoping for a miracle.

And I still can't read the banner behind those seminarians, but I'll guess it's something about a praying tree. Not Taliban, not ISIL-KP. Just naive religious faith hoping for a miracle.

I know what the picture is. I cropped and enlarged the pertinent part so the script was more easily visible. I was hoping for somebody who could actually translate though, not guess based on where the picture was taken.....

I know what the picture is. I cropped and enlarged the pertinent part so the script was more easily visible. I was hoping for somebody who could actually translate though, not guess based on where the picture was taken.....
No one knows where the picture was taken. Allegedly it's a forest near Sydney. That's a lot of territory! How about a forest near the Appalachian Trail? But everyone knows what the picture is. It's the praying tree which shows the true direction for prayer, toward the Kaaba in the Sacred Mosque in Mecca. That picture is all over the internet and that is how it is discussed. I can read the comments with Google Translate, and so can you. The comments on Reddit are in English. The picture is usually captioned "A Miracle" or "Miracle of Islam," but everyone seems to know it's the praying tree that shows you qibla. Those seminarians may be holding up a Burma-Shave sign, but I don't think so.

No one knows where the picture was taken. Allegedly it's a forest near Sydney. That's a lot of territory! How about a forest near the Appalachian Trail? But everyone knows what the picture is. It's the praying tree which shows the true direction for prayer, toward the Kaaba in the Sacred Mosque in Mecca. That picture is all over the internet and that is how it is discussed. I can read the comments with Google Translate, and so can you. The comments on Reddit are in English. The picture is usually captioned "A Miracle" or "Miracle of Islam," but everyone seems to know it's the praying tree that shows you qibla. Those seminarians may be holding up a Burma-Shave sign, but I don't think so.
OK, I didn't ask for anything but a translation. I know what is in the picture, the tree is a deformed spotted gum, (it is (or was) in North Nowra by the way, 200km from Sydney). I didn't ask what the picture captions on the internet say. You don't know what the script says, who the people are, where this picture was taken or when... I only asked for an actual translation of the banner, not an internet copy and paste lecture on middle east politics. If you can't provide one, don't guess based on stereotypes or what somebody thinks on the internet. Thats why I only posted a picture of the banner, to prevent this from happening.

OK, I didn't ask for anything but a translation. I know what is in the picture, the tree is a deformed spotted gum, (it is (or was) in North Nowra by the way, 200km from Sydney). I didn't ask what the picture captions on the internet say. You don't know what the script says, who the people are, where this picture was taken or when... I only asked for an actual translation of the banner, not an internet copy and paste lecture on middle east politics. If you can't provide one, don't guess based on stereotypes or what somebody thinks on the internet. Thats why I only posted a picture of the banner, to prevent this from happening.
I'm sorry you came here where no one speaks Arabic and didn't get an Arabic translation. Let me make a suggestion. Go here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/learn_arabic/

This is a reddit group for people trying to learn Arabic and Arabic speakers who want to help them. Try posting your question like this:

I am curious about this photograph of the ruku tree in Australia. Can anyone translate the banner?

Straightforward about what you want and why you want it gets better responses. And post the whole photograph, not just a corner. These are adults who know how to zoom in on a digital image.

I'm sorry you came here where no one speaks Arabic and didn't get an Arabic translation. Let me make a suggestion. Go here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/learn_arabic/

This is a reddit group for people trying to learn Arabic and Arabic speakers who want to help them. Try posting your question like this:

I am curious about this photograph of the ruku tree in Australia. Can anyone translate the banner?

Straightforward about what you want and why you want it gets better responses. And post the whole photograph, not just a corner. These are adults who know how to zoom in on a digital image.
And once again you have entirely missed the point.
The point was to find out if anybody knew what the banner actually said. I don't give a crap about whatever is in the rest of the picture. I intentionally cropped out everything but the banner for the purpose of preventing people like you from bringing up the usual BS political crap that this picture seems to carry along with it....

The point was to find out if anybody knew what the banner actually said. I don't give a crap about whatever is in the rest of the picture. I intentionally cropped out everything but the banner for the purpose of preventing people like you from bringing up the usual BS political crap that this picture seems to carry along with it....

The dude is not psychic and has no idea what you do or do not know about the photo and tried to help point you in a direction that could help you find your answer.

Apparently YOU missed the point in the post you quoted where he referred you to a place that could help you with a translation.

But screw any help that does not give you an immediate answer, amirite?

Rude.

But true. If you don't like it don't respond. All I was looking for was an accurate translation.....

And we are done.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back