Anyone buy a Tuff today?

I initially thought about selling mine but I'm just really digging how incredibly solid this knife is. It feels great in the hand. The lockbar is so strong and that is what gives so much tension to the blade opening

Big choils are on most Schempp knives. For me it's a deal breaker. I don't like or use choils.

I'd buy a Tuff if it didn't have that big choil. Same thing with the Super Leaf....big choil. I really like both knives. I like more cutting edge...not a big choil!

The CE on the Tuff would be 3.75 without the choil....not 3.0 with it......................

I'm not totally averse to choils, but I wish there was at least 1 option for a large, bombproof spyderco that didn't have a choil. I like my Superleaf, but as a companion to a much larger knife -
7179561080_2ac293d94a.jpg

For a stand-alone large folder I'd rather have the max cutting edge : handle ration possible. So, to get back on topic, the Tuff is a non-starter for me for that reason, whatever great qualities it might otherwise have.

Last edited:
I will say that this knife is extremely tight and difficult to open. I tried loosening the pivot but all that did was allow the blade to become un-centered. I don`t think I have wimpy hands but this knife is putting a hurting on my thumb trying to open and close the blade. I hope that it gets easier as it breaks in because its a workout in its current state.

I will say that this knife is extremely tight and difficult to open. I tried loosening the pivot but all that did was allow the blade to become un-centered. I don`t think I have wimpy hands but this knife is putting a hurting on my thumb trying to open and close the blade. I hope that it gets easier as it breaks in because its a workout in its current state.

Well, that is why it's called the "Tuff"? ;)

Big choils are on most Schempp knives. For me it's a deal breaker. I don't like or use choils.

I'd buy a Tuff if it didn't have that big choil. Same thing with the Super Leaf....big choil. I really like both knives. I like more cutting edge...not a big choil!

The CE on the Tuff would be 3.75 without the choil....not 3.0 with it......................

I agree that the SuperLeaf's choil is large, however if you have not handled one I would say you should before you discount it for the choil. Just my .02 … not a fan of the Tuff yet … guess it might have to grow on me …

~ Edge

Last edited:
I like the design. Got one on preorder, should have it within a week.

I'm a fan of Ed Schempps designs. The choil serves its intended purpose well.

I really like this knife, they say a question is not stupid so here I go. What is the purpose of the knife? I guess Mr Schempp had some reason to design it the way he did. I know you can say it's just a heavy duty folder but was there a main purpose behind it?

I was very excited about the Tuff back when it was a proto then came the dreaded specs.

First I wanted a monster spydie when it was released with a blade smaller than 4 inches I was extremely disappointed. On top of that only a 3 inch edge.

Then the handles where changed from the grippy look to the new pattern which i find fairly repulsive.

Finally it was not made in Golden which was unfortunate :(

Guess all spydies cannot be made for everyone's tastes. Ill just have to wait for a new Military sprint to add another spydie to the collection.

I don't recall Sal or anyone else ever saying it would be made in Golden. :confused:
All in all, Ti RIL, 3V blade, super thick blade, 4 way clip, steel insert...not sure what else is missing. It's an awesome knife, to each their own.

Say what you will about it. I love mine, it is a beast. It does have a strong detent, but like my PPT once you overcome it, the blade flies out.:thumbup:

tuff.jpg

stabman, it is indeed. I really had no plans to purchase this knife, but Ed's designs tend to strike my fancy and I didn't want to regret not getting one. I was a bit PO'd when the rock-salt was discontinued before I decided to pullthe trigger, but thank fully, along came the Schemp Rock and I was relieved.

stabman, it is indeed. I really had no plans to purchase this knife, but Ed's designs tend to strike my fancy and I didn't want to regret not getting one. I was a bit PO'd when the rock-salt was discontinued before I decided to pullthe trigger, but thank fully, along came the Schemp Rock and I was relieved.

Ed does design some neat stuff.
I really like the Kris, and most of the other designs appeal to me as well...but I don't have unlimited funds:(

Can't wait till the Tuff arrives in my greedy little hands.:thumbup: (waiting sucks;))

Say what you will about it. I love mine, it is a beast. It does have a strong detent, but like my PPT once you overcome it, the blade flies out.:thumbup:

tuff.jpg

When you say "flies out" can you actually flick the knife open? Once my blade has gotten past the detent it's still won't open without a good bit of pressure pushing the blade to lockup. I've opened it and closed it about a hundred times and have the bloody thumbs to prove it and its still a chore to open.

Ok, I flicked it again. I can flick it open, but I may have been exaggerating when I said "flies out." As tight as it may be, it's nowhere near as bad as my ZT550, but then again I hate thumbstuds.

I had the opportunity to handle this beast yesterday at Bladehq. It is indeed a tough knife to open. The ergos are fantastic, grip offers plenty of traction and jimping was to my liking. I do plan to add one to my collection in the near future.

I just ordered the last one New Graham had in stock...minutes ago.I can't wait.I've been anticipating this since I first heard about it.:thumbup:

Back