Anyone buy a Tuff today?

The groove in the blade makes two-handed opening very easy.

Yeah, it's also useful for the Spydie-drop. I put my middle finger in the hole and pinch the fuller with my thumb and index finger and it gives a really good grip to open the knife like that.

I understand why the knife is stiff and I actually like the stiff but manageable and actually kind of smooth feel it has now, but it seems like a lot of people would end up cutting themselves pretty badly with this knife because it's pretty hard to manipulate for someone who doesn't know exactly what they're doing. I guess most people would but it's pretty easy to have an accident with a knife that has such a strong detent and takes quite a bit of hand strength to open.

I guess most people would but it's pretty easy to have an accident with a knife that has such a strong detent and takes quite a bit of hand strength to open.

Then they just aren't tough enough.;)
I think they'd be more likely to have issues when closing it than opening it. It is by far the stiffest frame-lock I own, and I have a custom one with a short lock bar and 0.060" thick cut-out.

Then they just aren't tough enough.;)
I think they'd be more likely to have issues when closing it than opening it. It is by far the stiffest frame-lock I own, and I have a custom one with a short lock bar and 0.060" thick cut-out.

Yeah, that too! I reduced some of the spring tension on mine and now that it's broken in, I can open and close it one handed without any problem at all. Super easy now.

Can we put the stiffness aside for a moment and all agree that this thing is so damn comfortable? Not to mention so unique, so substantial in the hand, so cool looking once you actually own one and can come to appreciate what it is, and one of the finest quality knives Spyderco has ever produced. I love the way this thing begs you to use it and how it's big enough to do whatever, but also very intuitive and easy for smaller stuff with the choked up grip. I really like the extreme negative blade angle as well. Very utilitarian.

Can we put the stiffness aside for a moment and all agree that this thing is so damn comfortable? Not to mention so unique, so substantial in the hand, so cool looking once you actually own one and can come to appreciate what it is, and one of the finest quality knives Spyderco has ever produced. I love the way this thing begs you to use it and how it's big enough to do whatever, but also very intuitive and easy for smaller stuff with the choked up grip. I really like the extreme negative blade angle as well. Very utilitarian.

It looks good with some friends too:

DSCF4123.jpg

Spine shot comparison with SnG:

DSCF4126.jpg

:D

BTW, just flicked this thing both ways with relative ease. Getting easier and easier. Also, I have to say that the "shoppe" that I got this from did do a good job. I know I was bothered by the fact that they took several days to ship it but they included lolly-pops and a Spyderco 2012 catalog. Also, the man himself who runs the business responded to my notes on the order by including a business card that he wrote "perfect QC" on, because I asked them to inspect it and give me a "good one" (although all Taichung Spyderco's are perfect). So that was a bonus as well and I'm more happy about the experience with this shop now.

+1 for the shoppe. I got the same experience with the several days to ship, the lollipops, and the QC card that addressed my request.

Finally was able to flick my Tuff open the other day. I was excited whether I was really making progress on my knife or making progress with my thumbs. :D

Been enjoying mine for a couple days now. At first it felt odd having the small cutting edge, probably because I've been carrying a Military lately.

The tuff design is really growing on me. I can tell it was designed to be an effective slash/chop tool similar to a kukri.

The 3v took a blazin sharp edge too.

Well, this is growing on me that's for sure, every time I see a
picture of it. Curious to how it feels in hand. Besides, I've
always wanted a 3v bladed folder. Time to save some
scratch.

It feels really nice in the hand. Good heft and balance. You really notice the extra weight in the blade compared to most other large folders. I have an original C95 Manix which is the same size but the Tuff just feels better.

It chops like a beast. Not that I would treat it like a hatchet or a fixed blade but it can definitely handle light slash/chop jobs.

Just opened the box to my new Tuff yesterday! All I can say is what a fantastic knife. The fit and finish is flawless and the shape, weight, etc. just feels perfect. I am a happy Spyderco customer.

JD

Why would anyone want to chop anything with a folder? If it was a fixed blade, I could understand, but a folder...really?

Why would anyone want to chop anything with a folder? If it was a fixed blade, I could understand, but a folder...really?

Haha funny you should ask.....was walking to the car and saw a couple of thin branches (1/4 inch). Had the tuff that you sold me in my pocket so I took it out for fun and swung right through them. Thought not technically chopping since they were very small...still very unorthodox use of a folder.

Update to everyone: Been a while since iv posted an update about it. It is actually quite smooth now and much easier to disengage the lock. I can easily spyder drrop it open, and its comparable to the gayle bradley in smoothness.

Hey! I can't help it if Ed Schempp made this chopper a folding knife...

It's not like I'm endorsing chopping down trees with it, why would you want to waste your time using the wrong tool for a job. All I'm saying is this thing is beefy enough and obviously designed to do snap cuts with your wrist. You have to handle it to understand. That being said, if a person uses common sense, there is no reason it can't do some light chop/slash type jobs without causing undue stress to the stop pin and pivot. It's built like a tank.

:D

can anyone post a detailled picture of the stop pin area ? looking at the one above i'd say its marginally bigger than on a milie, i go chopping a tree with my cf/s90v right now

can anyone post a detailled picture of the stop pin area ? looking at the one above i'd say its marginally bigger than on a milie, i go chopping a tree with my cf/s90v right now

My camera's busted, but the stop pin is big enough.
Measures at 0.236"

And you can cut through finger sized branches with the Military easy enough. The trick is to power slash, not to chop.;)

i received mine today and i am totally satisfied with this knife it comes as close as a production knife can to a custom piece well done mr glesser

i received mine today and i am totally satisfied with this knife it comes as close as a production knife can to a custom piece well done mr glesser

I'm jealous! USPS was supposed to deliver mine 2 days ago. They finally delivered it today, but no one knows where they delivered it!

I'm so bummed, I was hoping to start putting my tuff through its paces tonight.

Ordered mine on tuesday from said shoppe in Idaho recieved 2 days later in California. Not to bad for USPS. Anyway the TUFF is a very solid built knife. Yes it is very stiff to open and close one handed. Any tips on making it easier to open and close one handed ? Or do I just need to MAN up and TUFF it out ? Anyway good job Spyderco.

Back