Anyone carry a paring knife as a small lightweight edc type fixed blade ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I know there are some who keep them one in a backpack...ect for food, but what about as a regular genral use knife ?
I've thought about it for a long time.
They're genrally small, lightweight, thin bladed to cut really well , and good ones aren't expensive.

I got this one yesterday at Goodwill in like new condition for 69¢, and just finished the sheath for it this afternoon.
( Don't know who made it but it took a great edge )
I'll carry it this week and see how it goes.

I’ve seen a few of these Victorinox knives converted into Pikal self defense/edc knives by a guy calling himself Engines of Mayhem.

il_fullxfull.1449197335_283k.jpg

I don’t carry one myself but I think it is kind of cool.

I got this one yesterday at Goodwill in like new condition for 69¢, and just finished the sheath for it this afternoon.
That looks great.

Anyone carry a paring knife as a small lightweight edc type fixed blade ?
Totally
I got hooked on the Cold Steel KreyEx handles (medium soft highly textured handle material) and I can't hardly find blades that are thin enough to suit me so I experimented with one of these. It is so great (literally hair whitting from the factory, good German steel with a good heat treat and very thin) that I bought three. They stopped making the nice and good looking handle and replaced it with . . . something . . .(don't get me started).

I wound up paring them up into one EDC; one polished edge for push cutting and fine work and one toothy. Some times I just drop one in a pocket. It carries fine that way too. Looks like that is what you do :thumbsup:
I love these things !
IMG_3579.jpg
IMG_3580.jpg

All the old members here are yawning their faces off they have seen these so much.
I have threatened to make a sheath for my Little Monster
IMG_3374.jpg

But have decided that the stock handle sucks too bad and that it might work in a Cold Steel Voyager frame. I thought I was going to get that done this last winter but may have to wait until this coming winter. My time off has been less predictable than in the past.
IMG_4399.jpg

But yeah . . . you want a nice light knife that cuts stuff super well carry a kitchen paring knife.
You want something to impress your buddies and scare your "enemies" it may not be best to show 'em the paring knife.

Last edited:
That looks great.

Totally
I got hooked on the Cold Steel KreyEx handles (medium soft highly textured handle material) and I can't hardly find blades that are thin enough to suit me so I experimented with one of these. It is so great (literally hair whitting from the factory, good German steel with a good heat treat and very thin) that I bought three. They stopped making the nice and good looking handle and replaced it with . . . something . . .(don't get me started).

I wound up paring them up into one EDC; one polished edge for push cutting and fine work and one toothy.
I love these things !
View attachment 918339
View attachment 918340

All the old members here are yawning their faces off they have seen these so much.
View attachment 918342

But have decided that the stock handle sucks too bad and that it might work in a Cold Steel Voyager frame. I thought I was going to get that done this last winter but may have to wait until this coming winter. My time off has been less predictable than in the past.
View attachment 918344

But yeah . . . you want a nice light knife that cuts stuff super well carry a kitchen paring knife.
You want something to impress your buddies and scare your "enemies" it may not be best to show 'em the paring knife.

Definitely, if they knew it was a pairing knife they'd never stop making fun of you.
At least until they tried to slice and or peel an apple with their pocket brick.
Those cold steels look great.

The thinnest pairing knife I'v ever seen is my grandmother's Pioneer seeds quikcut parer that i use in the kitchen.
I knew when I saw this little unbranded USA parer yesterday that it wouldn't be going in my kitchen as I love the quickut so much.
This one is thin but that quickut is about as thin as a utility knife blade.
( Also picked up a Rada slicer and swedish made Art Ullis L-52 spoon handle knife that went in my kitchen.
I was instantly drawn to it because i thought about how awesome of a slipjoint it would be.

Last edited:
That looks great.

Totally

I wound up paring them up into one EDC; one polished edge for push cutting and fine work and one toothy. Some times I just drop one in a pocket. It carries fine that way too. Looks like that is what you do :thumbsup:
I love these things !
View attachment 918339
View attachment 918340

View attachment 918342

View attachment 918344

Check out this mod that STR did to a Cold Steel mini AK47. I thought you might be interested because it reminds me of that voyager mod you were thinking of.

Hammer%2Bforged%2Bwhite%2Bsteel%2Bkiradahi%2BTriad%2Block.jpg

IMG_20160904_064031619_HDR.jpg

Heres a link to the article.
http://strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot.com/2016/09/kiradashi-triad-lock-mini-ak-47.html?m=1

A straight paring knife, nope. But I do like the old SOG Field Pup which has a lot of similarities to a paring knife.

Added: I consider most Mora's to be essentially paring knives which is one of the dominant reasons I don't care for them except for food prep.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about trying this. A smaller fixed blade has a certain versatility. Paring knives are such good slicers that I use them for almost everything food prep related and I am curious to see how one would perform as a daily user. Also, I’ve been looking for an excuse to get the Cold Steel and Victorinox paring knives.

I’ve been thinking about trying this. A smaller fixed blade has a certain versatility. Paring knives are such good slicers that I use them for almost everything food prep related and I am curious to see how one would perform as a daily user. Also, I’ve been looking for an excuse to get the Cold Steel and Victorinox paring knives.
Haven't used mine much, but so far I think it'll work well.

Why go for it, Victorinox even offers a nylon sheath for their parer.
Its basically the same price as the knife itself, but it's probably worth $8 with a sheath.

More and more now that I'm living in Texas, I find myself carrying a small fixed blade. That would have been totally not kosher in the Peoples Republik of Maryland in which I was a former inmate. I find the Victorinox paring knife that comes with the plastic blade sheath makes a fine little etc. It weighs almost nothing, cuts like the dickens. Makes cleaning fish a breeze, I do more fishing now in my retirement than ever.

Rides un-noticed in right front pocket next to the NAA .22 mini revolver. Or fits down in the leg pocket of cargo shorts.

I have the Opinel 112 paring knife in the kitchen (two of them actually). I've thought a number of times about taking them hiking/etc, as like everyone says, they're light, thin, and cheap (all things I like :)).

Whats prevented me from doing so so far is the fact that they have much smaller (and mainly far less hand filling) handles than the normal Opinel folders. So I would hate to carve a featherstick with one while camping for instance, as my hand would cramp up far more than it would if I used a Mora (what I usually take for that).

I have the Opinel 112 paring knife in the kitchen (two of them actually). I've thought a number of times about taking them hiking/etc, as like everyone says, they're light, thin, and cheap (all things I like :)).

Whats prevented me from doing so so far is the fact that they have much smaller (and mainly far less hand filling) handles than the normal Opinel folders. So I would hate to carve a featherstick with one while camping for instance, as my hand would cramp up far more than it would if I used a Mora (what I usually take for that).
I get that.

Not sure if you could call it a paring knife but my original plan was to make a stylish kitchen utility knife and halfway through I liked it so much that I made it more like a EDC blade instead with the thumb rest and fire striker area. AEB-L and G10 on micarta liners. I guess I'm carrying a paring knife? Lol

hGRTWGM.jpg

Rounded the spine everywhere besides the thumb/firestriker area. Flat V ground acidwashed steel sitting at 60rc + cryo by Peters'.
hGRTWGM

I carry an A. G. Russell Woodswalker in VG-10, which is basically a small paring knife. It works really well for anything that doesn't demand a thick blade.
I have used a Woodswalker daily for a few weeks (with another blade as a backup) when testing knives to see what inexpensive and easily replaceable knife I would get my daughter. It is useful and handled anything I threw at it in suburban life, but it is NOT a supersteel, so it needs a bit of TLC every few days. The leather sheath works well in a back pocket or a cargo pocket.

full

Enjoy

Back