Anyone carry a paring knife as a small lightweight edc type fixed blade ?

Some friction folders I made from paring knives.

KhrKZck.jpg

Looks like a Dexter-Russell.
They make stainless steel "kitchen" knives with the riveted wood handles.

Old Hickory would have a carbon steel blade.
It's definitely not an old hickory, though they do come in stainless.
I'm pretty sure it's not a Dexter either.

I'm suspecting either Imperial or one of the ECKO brands.

Last year I picked up a NOS Imperial " Veri Veri sharp " poultry knife at the same Goodwill for $1 and there's lots of similarities.

EDIT:
I think I've nailed it as an Imperial.
Here's the rest of the line offered shown on the back of the card for that Imperial " Veri Veri sharp " poultry knife I picked up, it's a different handle shape but the blade is a dead ringer.

Last edited:
Nope.

But I did know a college girl back in the late 60's who carried a steak knife in a brown paper bag in her coat pocket.

Shy girl.
It's easy to be shy when no one will talk to you due to carrying a steak knife in a brown paper bag in your pocket...
She should have carried a parer, then she would be normal, like us.

We are normal, right?
:rolleyes::D

It's easy to be shy when no one will talk to you due to carrying a steak knife in a brown paper bag in your pocket...
She should have carried a parer, then she would be normal, like us.

We are normal, right?
:rolleyes::D

I think a paring knife in a sheath is normal, make a leather sheath for the right parer and most non knife people wouldn't know it's was a paring knife.

Good suggestions with Opinel - I use a #8 myself (but of course, it's not a fixed blade). Just thought I'd add another great low cost 'paring' type knife - the Mora.

Mora sandvik stainless is quite great overall, small grain size, super easy to sharpen (even on river stones) and you can get very grippy rubber like handles, or wood.

I have a Coghlans Opinel No.8 (Garden handle with standard clip blade, discontinued afaik) that I love to use in the kitchen and carry as well.

That being said, I have a custom parer from Austin Goldberg that used to see daily carry, but it now resides in the kitchen.

I do happen to have a new small parer/handmade fixed blade due in today, and I am.planning on carrying this regularly;
"Zubeng Forge Tamahagane pocket fixed blade"
IMG_5242_opt.jpg IMG_5249_opt.jpg IMG_8520.jpg

I find it intriguing that this knife started as iron sand, and the creator worked it from the raw sand to this finished product personally.

It's definitely not an old hickory, though they do come in stainless.
I'm pretty sure it's not a Dexter either.

I'm suspecting either Imperial or one of the ECKO brands.

Last year I picked up a NOS Imperial " Veri Veri sharp " poultry knife at the same Goodwill for $1 and there's lots of similarities.

EDIT:
I think I've nailed it as an Imperial.
Here's the rest of the line offered shown on the back of the card for that Imperial " Veri Veri sharp " poultry knife I picked up, it's a different handle shape but the blade is a dead ringer.

Take that blade showm on my 1977 knife package and add this handle from a different era of Veri Veri sharp I found a picture of, and you've got my knife.
upload gambar

Ok, New pics since I just stalked my Mail Carrier and took possession of my new knife...
20180605_133640.jpg 20180605_133658.jpg 20180605_133726.jpg
if you look closely, you can see some of the finer detail between the edge and Hamon (in the reflection of the light). Later on, I will try to snap some higher resolution pics, and upload the as thumbnails to keep them from compressing too much.
20180605_140411.jpg 20180605_140335.jpg

Ok, New pics since I just stalked my Mail Carrier and took possession of my new knife...
View attachment 919472 View attachment 919473 View attachment 919476
if you look closely, you can see some of the finer detail between the edge and Hamon (in the reflection of the light). Later on, I will try to snap some higher resolution pics, and upload the as thumbnails to keep them from compressing too much.
View attachment 919474 View attachment 919475

Real nice blade.

My Great Grandmother carried one for years an Old Hickory 4 inch Paring Knife! It was said she almost severed a pick pockets hand in the 1930's in Memphis.

My Great Grandmother carried one for years an Old Hickory 4 inch Paring Knife! It was said she almost severed a pick pockets hand in the 1930's in Memphis.
Well why not, back in the day people would often carry a blade they already had.
No sense buying a knife specifically meant to be carried by a person when you can just make a sheath for a perfectly suitable knife you've already got.

You should buy yourself an old hickory parer and Cary it.

I considered neck or belt carrying a bird and trout at one point. North Arms (maker of the Skaha) used to have a great deal on their Mallard (was $54 USD at one point) which has s35vn. Should have snagged it at that price, as they have gone up $20, and additional shipping from Canada doesn’t help. Coming closer to $100-ish opens up a lot of other options at that point.

I considered neck or belt carrying a bird and trout at one point. North Arms (maker of the Skaha) used to have a great deal on their Mallard (was $54 USD at one point) which has s35vn. Should have snagged it at that price, as they have gone up $20, and additional shipping from Canada doesn’t help. Coming closer to $100-ish opens up a lot of other options at that point.

I would say it doesn't exactly work both ways, but make a sheath for a good paring knife and now you've got a bird and trout knife.

Well why not, back in the day people would often carry a blade they already had.
No sense buying a knife specifically meant to be carried by a person when you can just make a sheath for a perfectly suitable knife you've already got.

You should buy yourself an old hickory parer and Cary it.

I might just do that!

I have a Coghlans Opinel No.8 (Garden handle with standard clip blade, discontinued afaik) that I love to use in the kitchen and carry as well.

That being said, I have a custom parer from Austin Goldberg that used to see daily carry, but it now resides in the kitchen.

I do happen to have a new small parer/handmade fixed blade due in today, and I am.planning on carrying this regularly;
"Zubeng Forge Tamahagane pocket fixed blade"
View attachment 919435 View attachment 919438 View attachment 919439

I find it intriguing that this knife started as iron sand, and the creator worked it from the raw sand to this finished product personally.

I have the same knife, and it's one of a few small knives I bought back in January/February with the intention of possibly using one of them as a carry knife in place of my usual folder selection here and there. I thought the stick-like handle would be off-putting, but it's a great little knife. It's shaped more like a miniaturized chef's knife than a regular parer (like a tiny petty with a tall heel or something) and combined with the thin handle I really like it for quick food prep tasks and the like.

I ended up carrying one of the other knives more, because it was so much smaller (a tiny Arno Bernard Meerkat that I really like) but I like the Zubeng, it's a neat little knife.

Back