Anyone EDC Only a SAK?

So, I was just given a Gerber Paraframe as a groomsmen's gift at my buddy's wedding. It's engraved with my name and is a really neat knife. Nice and light, but seems sturdy enough and seems to take and hold an edge real well. Was carrying it for a few days to try to make it my new ecd, but I can't seem to live without my Vic. Recruit. It is "my" knife. I got a Vic Tinker just to have something a bit more substantial, and after edcing it for a few weeks, it was put on the shelf and replaced by the Recruit. I got a reptile skin Buck Bantam, which is now also living on the shelf with all the other knives that have tried unsuccessfully to replace my Recruit. It's just the perfect knife for me. Has all the tools I need and use, but is small and lightweight enough to go unnoticed in my pocket. Also, the smooth backspring makes it so comfortable to hold and use. Looking back, with the exception of a week here or a few days there, it has been my EDC for a couple of years now. I never feel under knifed with it either. The perfect little EDC.

So, I was just given a Gerber Paraframe as a groomsmen's gift at my buddy's wedding. It's engraved with my name and is a really neat knife. Nice and light, but seems sturdy enough and seems to take and hold an edge real well. Was carrying it for a few days to try to make it my new ecd, but I can't seem to live without my Vic. Recruit. It is "my" knife. I got a Vic Tinker just to have something a bit more substantial, and after edcing it for a few weeks, it was put on the shelf and replaced by the Recruit. I got a reptile skin Buck Bantam, which is now also living on the shelf with all the other knives that have tried unsuccessfully to replace my Recruit. It's just the perfect knife for me. Has all the tools I need and use, but is small and lightweight enough to go unnoticed in my pocket. Also, the smooth backspring makes it so comfortable to hold and use. Looking back, with the exception of a week here or a few days there, it has been my EDC for a couple of years now. I never feel under knifed with it either. The perfect little EDC.

Lookout Johnny! You may end up having multiple 'giveaways' to rid yourself of the shelf kings. Little by little, that's what happened to me. The move to Texas was like some great change of life's course for me. A whole new lifestyle and whole new kind of countryside to explore, and a whole new outlook on many things including pocket knives. I can't remember the last time I carried a dedicated knife on me.

Or, an easy solution to please everyone. Get a mini paraframe, much better than the big one IMO

CAM05061_zpsxwtqh62m.jpg

And carry it along your SAK. No need to substitute the Recruit, being so small and easy to carry (clipped, pocket carry, coin pocket, etc). Weighs nothing

CAM05008_zpslwr3ydxh.jpg

I do that, SAK + mini paraframe, and lend the paraframe to others when they ask for some cutting tool, or use it when I son't want to risk messing up/gumming up my SAK blade

CAM05054_zpsuxhleek5.jpg

I have been EDCing only a Recruit for the last couple of days. I love my Recruit! I also really like all of my other SAKs, but the Recruit is my favorite. Sure, I love the slimness of my Cadet, the awl on my Pioneer and Farmer, and the saw on my Camper, Huntsman, and Farmer. But do I need the awl and saw every day? No. And I don't need the corkscrew (sober for 9+ years! [emoji4]) or the ill-placed phillips driver on the Tinker, for example. For me, the Recruit has exactly what I need: large and small blades, two drivers, can opener (useful for many tasks!), bottle opener, tweezers, and toothpick. Perfection. All in the very pocketable 84 mm size! Alas, I do miss carrying my canoe and my peanut. I used the canoe for "rough jobs." But I don't really need those knives. I just like carrying them because I'm a knife nut! I have learned that I can get by just fine without a modern folder. My Spyderco Native is not missed. In a few weeks, I'll probably add the canoe and peanut back into my edc rotation. For now it's kind of nice being minimalist with my Recruit.

Alex

The Recruit is a really great sak. Other than field dressing duties a sak could cover all my edc needs. I just carry others because i love knives.

Jim

I usually carry two knives, one a SAK and the other a stockman or a single blade traditional. However when I do carry just one it's a SAK

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I usually carry two knives, one a SAK and the other a stockman or a single blade traditional. However when I do carry just one it's a SAK

I used to carry two knives like that, but the older I got, the less I wanted to do that. Little by little I started looking at it in the harsh light of day, and finally figured that there was nothing my stockman, peanut, or barlow could do that my tinker or recruit, or cadet couldn't do as well, in addition to the tools. A recruit is as small and light as any two blade jack, but has a far more wide range of mission capability.

If my knife nut obsession had not faded a bit, I would still be carrying two knives. But now I actually feel liberated to walk out the door with just one pocket knife on me, and it's got red handles and comes from Switzerland.

I used to carry two knives like that, but the older I got, the less I wanted to do that. Little by little I started looking at it in the harsh light of day, and finally figured that there was nothing my stockman, peanut, or barlow could do that my tinker or recruit, or cadet couldn't do as well, in addition to the tools. A recruit is as small and light as any two blade jack, but has a far more wide range of mission capability.

If my knife nut obsession had not faded a bit, I would still be carrying two knives. But now I actually feel liberated to walk out the door with just one pocket knife on me, and it's got red handles and comes from Switzerland.
Amen.

I think carrying only an SAK as EDC is partially a matter of selecting the right one for your needs. I still haven't completely ditched carrying a second knife but I don't feel totally unprepared with just a Tinker. During hunting season I normally carry a fixed blade in addition to what folders I EDC.

I think carrying only an SAK as EDC is partially a matter of selecting the right one for your needs. I still haven't completely ditched carrying a second knife but I don't feel totally unprepared with just a Tinker. During hunting season I normally carry a fixed blade in addition to what folders I EDC.

This.

Back