Anyone else have a hard time selling?

Hey guys,
Ive spoken to James Helm and Will Nease about this and now im curious about other peoples experience. To be clear im not asking about trying to sell stuff and no one buying im talking about having trouble giving up something you made.

Someone recently contacted me about buying a bowie i made, I didnt post it for sale i just had some pictures in the bowie picture thread and he liked it. I decided to sell it but I was hesitant.

anyway i m curious about other peoples thoughts.
Thanks,
Anthony

I have some knives I have made and kept. These are in my safe and aren't for sale.
Now days when I make a knife I really like I will keep it for a few months till I make another knife I really like then I will sell the first one.

My buddy had this problem. He would make a knife and like it so much that he didn't want to sell it. I convinced him that when he finished a knife he could sell it and then make a better knife using all the stuff he learned making the old one. Once he started selling them it got easier.

Usually I know in advance if I'm keeping or selling. That makes it easier. Though a couple times I've decided to sell something that was 'mine', and that's harder. Attachment issues? Probably. ;)

lol thanks guys yea the knife in question was one i had made for myself also the first knife ive made that ive sold. It was a super weird feeling i was so excited and flattered someone was willing to spend money on something i made and at the same time i was almost sad to think about sending it off.

With the money ill get from it i can buy another slab of steel and start over with some new ideas.

I think a maker should hold onto the first of a style: hunting, kitchen or folder etc. Two of my first three knives were stolen out of my pickup during a break in. I am however keeping one of every type of folder. The wife has collected at least one of every type of kitchen knife.:D

The last time I sold a bunch of knives I invited customers in my local area who left me with phone numbers and e-mail to come to my home for a showing of about 35 knives for sale. I arranged the knives on a large oak dining table and at one end I put a couple of knives that were not for sale. Well, most of you have already guessed that the people I showed the knives to wanted the knives that were not for sale and I tried to dissuade them by quoting really prices on those knives. They sold immediately and I got orders for more knives at the same price if I would let the customers select the wood and some mosaic pins. Basic pychology I suppose. I had a knife That I could not sell at shows and my wife told me to double the price and It sold quickly. More basic psychology? I now show knives that I am willing to sell and hide my personal knives because I like them so much and selling them would not change my life at all. Larry

oZGZHcCh.jpg

Never been a problem for he. Many times, I've been in the middle of making one, and had the thought cross my mind; "man, I might have to keep this one...it's coming out SO nice!!" But then I finish and ship the knife to its new owner without a second thought! It's so rewarding for a patron to send email a picture of them enjoying the knives I made. I have had people several me pics dressing their deer and elk kills, as well as cooking with a chefs knives I have made.

I think a maker should hold onto the first of a style: hunting, kitchen or folder etc. Two of my first three knives were stolen out of my pickup during a break in. I am however keeping one of every type of folder. The wife has collected at least one of every type of kitchen knife.:D

Also worth keeping the 3rd or 4th of a style, 'cause they're usually better than the first! :rolleyes:

Not a problem for me but sometimes the wife will snag one. Just finished a batch of 54 yesterday, there's one in there that's on the fence. She likes the different blue bones for handle material. I was working on a batch of knives a while back. I do all my grinding outside. A neighbor stopped by and started throwing hundred dollar bills down on the workbench. I said "Whata doing Dennis?" He said "I want that one, the one your wearing". When he got to three I took it off my belt and handed it to him.

To quote Bob Loveless, "I can't afford my own knives..." But seriously, every knife I've made for years has got to make me money, no question about it, unless it's a trade for something or a gift for someone.
Every once in a while I like one enough that I'd keep it, but I enjoy making them more than having them. Better yet, I enjoy having groceries and buying more tools!

Just finished putting the edge on the blade to ship it off tomorrow, hopefully the owner uses and loves it.

Yeah I’m having a hard time right now letting a knife go. But the way I look at it is that thy alow me to make more knives and have a nice shop. I can allways make another one which I would also sell. My customers own more of my knives then I do lol

Thankfully my interest fades quickly and I sell a knife I really like eventually after carrying it for a while or something. I have one specific knife I made myself and my first ever knife I made but that's about it. Right now I'm holding on to this kwaiken style blade that a customer backed out of. Really enjoy the design but it will probably end up for sale next weekend at a local show lol. I love knives but I got bills to pay!

Back