Anyone Else Anxious for New C-60 Ayoob Sprint?

First off I'm not trying to put any pressure on the good folks at Spyderco. But with the green light given on the New Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob model I've really been anxious to see how this new upcoming C-60 Sprint Run is going to turn out. I've got a continuing thread running over at "Spyderco.com" Forum entitled "C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up" and if you're a fan of this model you might want to check it out on the General Discussion section over at Spyderco.com Forum.

This is one older model that just doesn't get old to me and remains in my top 10 favorite Spyderco models of all time. And when we got the green light to see a Sprint Run of this great classic it made my day ( actually my year) needless to say. There are several of you newer guys & gals on this Sub-Forum and just new knife fans in general that have not yet got to check out this Spyderco C-60 model. And for you all who remember this Super-Classic C-60 model I'm sure that several of you folks are putting some cash back to be able to grab one of these when they finally hit the market.

No date has been set yet but I'm relatively confident that we'll see it released sometime in 2021. Barring any unforeseen problems of course. The C-60 is not only an ideal SD folder but this design may be one of the most ergonomic Spyderco models ever>> at least that I've used up till now. I would love to hear what you all here at BF might have to say about the C-60 Ayoob model if you have ever got to check one out? I would also love it for any of you who have owned one of these to share your testimony. Yes I would love to chat with you all about Spyderco's C-60 Ayoob model past and present.

Glad to know they are doing a new sprint... maybe i will actually be able to find one to purchase and check out!

I will buy one if it has scale screws, not rivets.

That being said, it looks just like a little smaller Chinook 4. Not sure there will be much additional “EDC value” for me.

Personally, I'm hoping for a "sprint" of the Slysz Bowie.

I have an original C60P Ayoob. It's ok but it's not even close to being one of my favorite Spydercos.

Everyone's tastes/passions are diffferent.

Hope the "sprint" Ayoob meets your hopes/expectations after it's released.

I’m very excited for it and thank you for drumming up the interest for it over on the Spyderco forums.

I will buy one if it has scale screws, not rivets.

That being said, it looks just like a little smaller Chinook 4. Not sure there will be much additional “EDC value” for me.
The last Ayoob sprint run had screws, so no danger of this one being riveted.

While the Ayoob and Chinook are somewhat similar, the Ayoob has a much steeper negative blade angle, which is why it's awesome. It also has less upsweep than the Chinook, and is somewhat smaller.

Yeah everyone of mine from both runs also have riveted construction. Which I'm not all that big on by the way. But there were a lot of us on the thread over at Spyderco.com that repeated several times that we would prefer screw type construction>> so let's just keep our fingers crossed. I love the blade design so much I'll be getting the new Sprint run regardless of which construction they come up with.

The blade design is one of the most ergonomic I've ever used on any knife I've ever owned>> which in turn makes it one of my all time favorite Spyderco models. One of the biggest points I tried to make while the thread was running were for some of these details that many of us tend to prefer to be considered on a new Sprint Run. The last G-10 Sprint Run they did back in 2011 was a vast improvement over the original. That G-10 handle gave it much better grip/purchase.

Also another aspect of the C-60 I always loved was that the folder was extremely easy to deploy with one hand. I do hope at some point Mr. Massad Ayoob would design another folder or fixed blade or both at some point. That is one Spyderco collaboration I would like to see with another project at some point in time.

The Civilian is pinned construction too. I would suspect that's a conscious choice for these SD knives.

If I was changing anything I'd go from the back lock to a compression lock but I can't see that happening at any point . Just luck to get a re-issue!

Yeah everyone of mine from both runs also have riveted construction. Which I'm not all that big on by the way. But there were a lot of us on the thread over at Spyderco.com that repeated several times that we would prefer screw type construction>> so let's just keep our fingers crossed. I love the blade design so much I'll be getting the new Sprint run regardless of which construction they come up with.

The blade design is one of the most ergonomic I've ever used on any knife I've ever owned>> which in turn makes it one of my all time favorite Spyderco models. One of the biggest points I tried to make while the thread was running were for some of these details that many of us tend to prefer to be considered on a new Sprint Run. The last G-10 Sprint Run they did back in 2011 was a vast improvement over the original. That G-10 handle gave it much better grip/purchase.

Also another aspect of the C-60 I always loved was that the folder was extremely easy to deploy with one hand. I do hope at some point Mr. Massad Ayoob would design another folder or fixed blade or both at some point. That is one Spyderco collaboration I would like to see with another project at some point in time.

Either way, JD, thanks for pushing for this :)

BTW, seen from the other side, might want to try the Chinook 4. It's the easiest to deploy back-lock that I have (due to the power-lock).

Roland.

Either way, JD, thanks for pushing for this :)

BTW, seen from the other side, might want to try the Chinook 4. It's the easiest to deploy back-lock that I have (due to the power-lock).

Roland.
I really miss my Chinook III that I had to sell out of necessity to make good on some medical bills. I've also been a fan of the Chinook models for some time. I'm most definitely going to keep the new Chinook IV on my radar screen.

There are more Spyderco fans that want to see the return of the C-60 Ayoob model than many people might think. I've been amazed over on the other forum how many of the newbies that have shown intense interest in this new C-60 Sprint Run. I just hope they don't sell out to quickly.

The Civilian is pinned construction too. I would suspect that's a conscious choice for these SD knives.

If I was changing anything I'd go from the back lock to a compression lock but I can't see that happening at any point . Just luck to get a re-issue!
If they ever did want to make something like the C-60 Ayoob with either a compression or ball bearing lock I would be first in line for that. However all the C-60 models I have I've never had any problems with the backlock system on any of them. I've never had any Spyderco lock ever fail on me for that matter.

But I do like the ease of operation of the compression and ball bearing locks. The only fear I have is that those newer locking systems would run the costs up so high that they might be unaffordable.

If they ever did want to make something like the C-60 Ayoob with either a compression or ball bearing lock I would be first in line for that. However all the C-60 models I have I've never had any problems with the backlock system on any of them. I've never had any Spyderco lock ever fail on me for that matter.

But I do like the ease of operation of the compression and ball bearing locks. The only fear I have is that those newer locking systems would run the costs up so high that they might be unaffordable.
Yeah for the lock not worried about the "F Word" (fail) but more the "D Word" (deployment).

Yeah for the lock not worried about the "F Word" (fail) but more the "D Word" (deployment).
That's an interesting point>> because the more I think about it I'm inclined to believe that a compression lock would probably deploy faster than the backlock on the original C-60. Although I don't consider the original locking system on this model to be bad by any means>> but I do think it could be improved on for sure.

I've actually gotten pretty fast deploying my Spyderco Dodo model which has a ball bearing lock. It took a bit of practice but once you learn the mechanics of the BBL it's not bad at all. Actually I want to see more Spyderco models with that locking system and the C-60 wouldn't be a bad model to have a BBL>> however I suspect that it would catapult the price more than most people would tolerate.

I'm patiently awaiting this one.
It will be well worth the wait I can assure you. I'm literally counting the days. The C-60 Ayoob has been one of my all time favorite Spyderco folders for quite some time now.

I'm really grateful to Mr. Sal Glesser for agreeing to do the upcoming Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob in PE & SE both. The original C-60 in Spyderedge was a beast of a cutter. To me the C-60 in Spyderedge was one of their top 3 best serrated folders they ever produced in my humble opinion. The C-60 Ayoob is one of the very few Spyderco models I like equally in SE as I do in PE. That folder is just great design way ahead of it's time in both edge types.

My biggest problem is "patience">> and I know it may be a while before they become available. My ultimate goal is that it will sell so well that they might consider having this classic folder back in the main line up again. But one step at a time. Another great model from what I affectionately refer to as "The Golden Era of Spyders ( 1998-2004). So many models from that era that still have plenty of serious fans.

Back