Anyone else guilty of not exactly, well, maximizing the use of their multitools?

Or perhaps you only really find yourself using just one or two functions, haha. They’re great to have in the pocket but I find that I don’t really use the super specific tools that often.

I like to carry a multitool (usually a Leatherman Charge Plus or a Victorinox Cybertool S) when I won't be near a toolkit and I don't know what I'll run into -- spelunking, road trips, and the like. Most of the time I don't need all of its tools, but peace of mind is invaluable. :)

I bought a few cheap Leatherman's and placed them various places---fishing tackle box--the truck--the junk drawer in the kitchen---range bag.

That way they are there when I need them but overall used very little---won't give up a pocket clipped blade to make space for a multitool and I really don't like anything on my belt EDC--maybe when out hunting or camping that changes.

I have a Wave. I use it maybe once a year (ironically almost as a second pair of pliers).

Caveat, it rides on my motorcycle magnet bag with a bunch of hex wrenches, which is imo the best place for it. Multi-tools don't do the job that dedicated tools do better at my house and I am never in a position to require a screwdriver, pliers, or saw outside of my garage minus maybe the caveat above. Camping/backpacking doesn't count, I have dedicated gear for that and a multitool is excess and useless weight.

I'll probably never buy another multi-tool as long as I live, which is a shame because mine is chrome, but that isn't so bad because if I drop it, I can spot it.

I rarely need one in day to day life but I still value them highest in my collection for the help they can provide in need. I never really go for longer trip without taking my old trusty swisstool! 😁

To be perfectly honest, I think a good 75% of the tools they include on most MTs are pretty worthless. I carry a Powerlitre and a small set of bits to use as a screwdriver, small pair of pliers and to handle the occasional unexpected bottle of wine, but that's all I really use it for. I've seriously considered replacing it with a pair of very small Knipex pliers and a ratcheting Neiko screwdriver. Would probably mean picking up a pocket sheath for those two tools, though, which is about all that's stopping me.

I have a Leatherman Skeletool that includes a small blade, pliers, screw diver, and aftermarket hammer attachment. The complement of tools is perfect. Yesterday I used every tool to repair my dishwasher and adjust some kitchen cabinet hinges.

All my other Leathermans, loaded with a gazillion tools, just sit in a drawer.

PkU43mfl.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Leatherman Skeletool that includes a small blade, pliers, screw diver, and aftermarket hammer attachment. The combination is perfect and I use all the tools often. Yesterday I used every tool in my Skeletal to repair my dishwasher and adjust some kitchen cabinet hinges.

All my other Leathermans, loaded with a gazillion tools, just sit in a drawer.

PkU43mfl.jpg

Yup, I have to agree, the Skeletool has just about the perfect compliment of tools for every day use, without including anything I won't use. I have the ratchet extender and the bit kit for it as well, but I hardly ever need anything other than the four bits that are included in the skeletool.

As an aside, I do wish they made a knifeless version, maybe replacing the blade with a file, since I'm almost always carrying a separate, better knife with me. I'm picturing a scaled up Style PS with the screwdriver bits. It would make it TSA friendly and carry-able in places that prohibit knives.

I carry a Vic Super Tinker in my little medicine bag, which never leaves me. I rarely use the blade. Most used tools? Large flathead and the Philips head screwdrivers. Occasionally the scissors.

I keep a beat up old Leatherman Wave in my bedroom, and again the blades are nearly pristine.

I keep a SOG Powerassist in my glovebox. I took it on vacation for a week and it actually got a lot of use. The beach house we rented (for 18 people) had an issue arise with one of the doors, unfortunately despite our best tries it was not repairable, and turned out to be a known issue by the owner.

However, what did the powerassist really get used for? Crab crackers. We ordered a slew of seafood to go and they forgot to give us crackers for the claws. Blue crab, blackened shrimp, blackened redfish, snapper, oysters. MMmmmm.

I have a wave I carry and a wingman in my pickup as spare. I use mine quite often and have used all the tools at times. When I’m out helping my son on the ranch and checking cattle I’ve had to fix a fence and the wave kept me from having to go back to get tools. I don’t use the knives much as I prefer my dedicated edc knife. The ones on the LM I have used for nasty crud or scraping and cleaning surfaces. I’ve used the saw that surpised me at how well it cut a piece of oak to fit in place as a spacer. Even the micro screwdriver bits have been handy when my glasses screws got loose. They’ve been very useful!

I think it depends on your lifestyle and job as how much they are used.

I’d like to add that multi tools aren’t the best tools to use but when you’re way out in the boonies they can save you a long walk or worse. I’m gonna get another wave to keep in my atv . I think they are worth the money just as a backup.

Back