Anyone else guilty of not exactly, well, maximizing the use of their multitools?

one gets a plier tool because of the pliers.
and everything else is sorta secondary
and built around it.
when i first got into plier multi tools
i found the knife handy, and so was the file, the screw drivers
weren't perfect but great they were there.
yeah, so don't have much use for anything else.
theae days i've gone back to the leatherman minitool.
LEATHERMAN Mini-Tool, mit Nylon-Etui: Amazon.de: Sport & Freizeit

its a compact plier that i m after.
and with this classic, the hndle length
is cut in half. for full leverage it can
be extended into the full length of the
original pst.
and being minimalist serves my purpose.
verdict,, guilty of maximizing this multitool.
I used to roll with a Micra until I misplaced it. It’s probably somewhere around the house.

I have a Maxpedition Jumbo that goes with me if my plans include a night away from home. My ST300, along with a bunch of other gear…tools, batteries, first aid, and spare ammo ride in that bag. The Leatherman is like new because I rarely use it, but I like knowing it could handle a variety of tasks if needed.

that's a really cute scissor tool
small indeed.
had one the sog version
what can i say other than
i gifted it to a young miss
who couldn't stop borrowing.
tool gone, pain gone :)
which reminds me that i know
had this somewhere
but question remains where ???!

I love and do use the pliers enough that all the rest of the tools I don't really use are just filling gaps it would otherwise still have. I do use the knife, and saw along with the screw driver a fair bit when I use my multitools.

Besides my Leatherman which resides in my car I have a Swiza and I got the one with the phillips head instead of the corkscrew as that is the most useless tool I have ever found on a multitool.

I detect a common theme for many of us knife knuts , for not much using the knife blade on a MT .

We usually carry a better dedicated knife (or several ) most of the time that we prefer to use .

That said , I have two of the big RangerGrip SAK's that have perfectly good, nearly 4" knife blades . No reason they couldn't be used except habit .

My Bushcraft kit has a Rangergrip 55 and a SwisTool in it. The RG55's blade is great for feathersticking.

I rarely need one in day to day life but I still value them highest in my collection for the help they can provide in need. I never really go for longer trip without taking my old trusty swisstool! 😁
Yup. The further away from my main tool load at home, and a few basics in the trunk, the more I want a multi on my belt. Being of average intelligence (on a good day), and getting older, it's often for the things that I don't think of. Like lifting a hot can of beans with the needle nose pliers, after opening it with the can opener on the same small tool.

My EDC is a Victorinox Explorer in my pocket and a Wave (alternating between pre-2004 and plus) on my belt. But if I'm honest, I don't use either of them very often at all. Certainly not enough to really justify carrying both--as if I needed justification!

I use my Wave every day at work for something. I don't carry a separate pocket knife because I have two on the Wave and I don't care for pocket clips.

On my own time I carry a SAK Climber and again I use it frequently. Mainly the flat blade, small blade, and scissors. I have used all the tools on my SAK enough to EDC it. I don't carry the Wave outside of work because I very rarely need pliers and if I do I plan ahead and bring an actual set of pliers.

Very guilty. :eek:
At one time I had a SwissTool X, three Spirits (two identical), a Rebar and two Squirts, plus many more SAKs in all sizes. I lost both Squirts, sold the Rebar and one Spirit and I still think I am not using what is left enough.
It's like this:
Explorer, SwissTool X (bedside table)
Cadet, Pioneer, SwissCard (EDC)
Climber (in the garden cabin, mainly opening wine bottles for spritzer)
Cybertool Lite (knife maintenance kit)
Spirit supplementing the SwissTool X
a retired, beat up, but functional Rambler.

This should be plenty.. But I didn't stop, I went on, buying backups.
All in mint condition, I made leather sheaths for everything.
A Spirit, Outrider, WorkChamp, Rambler, Explorer Plus, two more Swisscards, camo OHT, Rangergrip, Skipper, LE Cadet, a Harvester and a Pioneer X.
Oh well. At least I can list them.

My Leatherman Sidekick gets used a lot. It was gifted to me, a couple years ago, and despite being grateful for it, I hated it for how slippery the stainless steel handles were. I thought, "how can anyone hang onto this to actually use it?!". Then I learned it was just a matter of finding the right way to hold it, and muscle memory from there.

Pliers? Check. Picking up questionable garbage in public places to put in a bin. Obvious other plier uses where a grip stronger than my hand is required. Etc.
Screwdrivers? Check. Obvious screwdriver uses, plus prying.
Saw? Check. It baffles my mind the great assiduity of homeowners' care of their lawns, trees, and gardens, except where these invade and choke out portions of the sidewalk. Leatherman sidekick and Spyderco Resilience to the rescue. Public service. Don't like what I did to your plants? You should have thought about that before letting them attack pedestrians. ;)

But some stuff doesn't get used often if at all.

Bottle opener? Never. Not only do I not drink beverages with bottle caps that I can't open with my fingers, but even when I did, I learned how to use just about any metal item longer then 3.5 inches to open a bottle. I can crack open a beer (if I should ever decide to have one again) with anything from an Izula, to a pair of scissors or my pocket flashlight.
File? Not really. I might have once or twice, for random miscellaneous deburring, but this is usually a knife task for me. And never my fingernails: if I have chipped one, a knife always takes care of that, unless I am at home and can grab my nail clippers.
Ruler? I didn't even realize it had one! On the other side of the file. I only realize it because I looked just now, though seeing it does vaguely ring a bell. I guess I just never registered it before.
Speaking which: Knife blades? Never. Why would I take the time to open up a multitool blade, when my Prevail or Edge-C or Resilience are so much faster to deploy, and have far superior blades?

IMG_1237.JPG

Very guilty. :eek:
At one time I had a SwissTool X, three Spirits (two identical), a Rebar and two Squirts, plus many more SAKs in all sizes. I lost both Squirts, sold the Rebar and one Spirit and I still think I am not using what is left enough.
It's like this:
Explorer, SwissTool X (bedside table)
Cadet, Pioneer, SwissCard (EDC)
Climber (in the garden cabin, mainly opening wine bottles for spritzer)
Cybertool Lite (knife maintenance kit)
Spirit supplementing the SwissTool X
a retired, beat up, but functional Rambler.

This should be plenty.. But I didn't stop, I went on, buying backups.
All in mint condition, I made leather sheaths for everything.
A Spirit, Outrider, WorkChamp, Rambler, Explorer Plus, two more Swisscards, camo OHT, Rangergrip, Skipper, LE Cadet, a Harvester and a Pioneer X.
Oh well. At least I can list them.

That's a good start!

Nearly every time I leave the house with a SAK or traditional pocketknife or multi-tool, it's with this thought in mind: This might come in handy today. There are many days when I don't use a knife/SAK/multi for anything.

Now, if I know that during that day I'll be doing some specific task, I'll bring the best tool for the job. For instance, if I'm helping a friend gut/rehab a house, I'd bring a Stanley razor knife to cut up carpet. If we're gonna be putting together or taking apart furniture, I'd likely bring a Leatherman for the pliers. If I'm going for a hike/picnic, I'd bring a SAK. Maybe one with a saw if there's a chance we'll be making a fire and roasting sausages.

I guess I'm just rambling* here, but my point is ...... for me, the whole idea of carrying some sort of tool/s goes back to my Boy Scout days. Gotta be prepared, gents!

* Oh yeah! If I'm heading downtown, I'll probably take my Victorinox Rambler.

Last edited:
My Leatherman Sidekick gets used a lot. It was gifted to me, a couple years ago, and despite being grateful for it, I hated it for how slippery the stainless steel handles were. I thought, "how can anyone hang onto this to actually use it?!". Then I learned it was just a matter of finding the right way to hold it, and muscle memory from there.

Pliers? Check. Picking up questionable garbage in public places to put in a bin. Obvious other plier uses where a grip stronger than my hand is required. Etc.
Screwdrivers? Check. Obvious screwdriver uses, plus prying.
Saw? Check. It baffles my mind the great assiduity of homeowners' care of their lawns, trees, and gardens, except where these invade and choke out portions of the sidewalk. Leatherman sidekick and Spyderco Resilience to the rescue. Public service. Don't like what I did to your plants? You should have thought about that before letting them attack pedestrians. ;)

But some stuff doesn't get used often if at all.

Bottle opener? Never. Not only do I not drink beverages with bottle caps that I can't open with my fingers, but even when I did, I learned how to use just about any metal item longer then 3.5 inches to open a bottle. I can crack open a beer (if I should ever decide to have one again) with anything from an Izula, to a pair of scissors or my pocket flashlight.
File? Not really. I might have once or twice, for random miscellaneous deburring, but this is usually a knife task for me. And never my fingernails: if I have chipped one, a knife always takes care of that, unless I am at home and can grab my nail clippers.
Ruler? I didn't even realize it had one! On the other side of the file. I only realize it because I looked just now, though seeing it does vaguely ring a bell. I guess I just never registered it before.
Speaking which: Knife blades? Never. Why would I take the time to open up a multitool blade, when my Prevail or Edge-C or Resilience are so much faster to deploy, and have far superior blades?

View attachment 1579606
Interesting. I have a Sidekick inches from my fingers and PC tower. I have kind of looked at it with disdain. It was a low priced impulse buy while wandering through Walmart years back. I never liked it's weight, and yes it's kinda sorta slippery. It has been in and out of my car many times as a toss in. If it came with a sheath I have no idea where it is. Yet it's often at hand and quicker to grab than getting into the tool bag or box. It's stubby, tough and has the spring to open the pliers by itself. I've come to appreciate it, despite it's mild short comings. The tiny saw blade has stroked a few fero rods. Ya, I guess that I kind of like it.

I've been thinking of hitting the handle of mine with my checkering file. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. If and when I do, if it works out, I'll post pics here.

Oh and I carry mine in a leather belt holster, right behind my Prevail.

IMG_1259.JPG

Pliers / cutters
Awl
1/4"
Everything else Is unused probably 95% of the time.

The blade may get used once in a blue moon for something I wouldn't use my knife for, but otherwise I carry a knife so my multitool blade sits unused.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have a Sidekick inches from my fingers and PC tower. I have kind of looked at it with disdain. It was a low priced impulse buy while wandering through Walmart years back. I never liked it's weight, and yes it's kinda sorta slippery. It has been in and out of my car many times as a toss in. If it came with a sheath I have no idea where it is. Yet it's often at hand and quicker to grab than getting into the tool bag or box. It's stubby, tough and has the spring to open the pliers by itself. I've come to appreciate it, despite it's mild short comings. The tiny saw blade has stroked a few fero rods. Ya, I guess that I kind of like it.
The Sidekick was my first Leatherman, back when I was a junior in high school (and back when it was $30 rather than $60!). It got younger, impressionable me hooked.

I think there is a reason that Leatherman came up with the Skeletool family. Those are the tools people use most often and perhaps almost exclusively.

I tend to use my SAK regularly and have done so for years. My pliers based multitools and more for a focused/planned task, but I like having it with me nonetheless and think it is worth carrying…although my PST is only 5.2 ounces and the Bond Leatherman are 5.8 and 6.7…so not nearly as heavy as some of the other popular multitools like the Wave, etc.

Back