Anyone else hate G10?

I like g10 for a working knife. It’s very tough and it doesn’t get as cold as aluminum or other metals. The grip depends on the contour and texture. I’ve had my g10 handled knife run over in a gravel driveway and hardly a scratch on it, it also survived a drop from 30 feet onto rocks and other rough stuff. Micarta is also very tough.

I hate FRN. I LOVE G10. G10 is a fantastic scale material...it is stable, does not
care about humidity, resistant to many chemicals, strong, light, etc. I also highly
prize high quality carbon fiber and Titanium. I do not like wood since it is unstable
depending on how it is finished...but it is of course lovely.
I like some micarta too.

My first choice would almost always be wood ... and then other natural materials like stag etc ...

I like micarta over G10 but both are good for grip and comfy if done right ... but many aren't ...

titanium or various metals can be ok on some knives too if done right ... such as CRK / Hinderer ...

but it holds very true that if the handle is well done the material won't matter a great deal ... you won't need a grippy material to use it for anything.

I prefer Ti and CF but I’d say G10 may be my favorite handle material overall just because it is extremely stable and durable especially considering it’s price point.

Given a choice, I'd take micarta over everything else. Not a fan.of g10 or carbon fiber either but have knives with both. Wood and antler would be my second and third choice and not necessarily in that order. If I could swing it, I'd slap micarta on every knife I own. Crap, leather is nice on a fixed blade too!

yeah, for me it's a pretty simple progression

frn < g10 < alum/steel/Ti < micarta < wood & elk & horns

I also prefer the wood not to be stabilized - which would likely mean no complex or punky burls etc - I could live with good ironwoods/rosewoods/hickory/walnut/oak etc
a wee bit of blo or tung oil will set them right, and feel proper

I don't hate it, but it really doesn't feel as good as wood or bone you know? I agree it does have a cheaper feel to it. Makes you understand what people mean when they say "soul" in reference to knife handles. It feels soulless.

My preferences in this order
1) Bone
2) Wood
3) Ti
4) Micarta
5) CF
6) G10
7) Aluminum (dings easy, ano never holds up, and is really slick and cold)

And yes, I own knives with all these scale materials. All well done. May add a pic later. ;)

I have knives with all kind of handles. Wood, G1O, Ti, bone, acrylic, FRN, aluminum, micarta, and I've probably missed one or two.

I've found what I prefer is the blade steel. That trumps the lock type or the scales. I carry a bunch of back lock knives with FRN scales that would be at the bottom of my choices but because they're in a particular nice steel I don't care.

I'm a synthetic fan myself. I like the grip, color choices, and stability.

1. G10/micarta
2. FRN (My Rat 1 and Delica with FRN are just fine with me) and other plastics (BM Grip)
3. Wood You can get beautiful colors and patterns but I've had a few crack on me.
4. Bone I can't remember the last time I had a knife with bone. I probably had a Case with bone 15+ years ago. My next slipjoint will be a BM Proper or Lionsteel with micarta.
5. Ti/Al/CF They just feel slick to me.

g10 or micarta is what I look for usually...everyone seems to love ti but I can't stand it, that or aluminum....wood is fine if its not a hard user...not the biggest fan of frn but it serves its purpose well

I dislike it :eek:
Some of the multicolored stuff with layers looks ok, but it just screams fake to me.

This Viper Dan2 was purchased with G10 because it was cheaper than other options and I'd yet to experience the material.

Viper Dan2 by D P, on Flickr

I thought it was close to micarta. It's not.
After using it the material took on a kind of polished look further enhancing the plastic look.
I plan on recovering this knife as it's well made and unique. I just can't stand the plastic handle :thumbsdown:
To me, it does nothing to enrich the knife.
:poop:

G10 is my favourite material. I hate cf, wood, aluminum and Ti handles. Micarta is ok.

Last edited:
Well, I think I have a folder with G10 grips.
I bought two AG Russell Sunfish, and since these folders were purchased for use, I got the plain black grips. Unlike some G10 grips with a rough surface, mine were polished semi-smooth.
I've had several folders G10 grips, and I never had one chip or split. I hope these new Sunfish also wear well over time.

Personally I cant stand the stuff. I just feels cheap to me. I hate seeing a nice knife, well made, great action, top of the line steel and... G10? I just seems wrong to me. how about some nice anodized aluminum, carbon fiber or, god forbid, wood?
"Anyone else hate G10?"

I don't. In fact, I prefer it. I like the aesthetics of Micarta better but otherwise G10 and Micarta are tied at the top of my handle material list. After that it's FRN, Kraton, CF, Ti, and last would be natural materials like wood or bone.

As a handle material G10 is stable, durable, and can be made in nearly any color with whatever desired texture you want. I don't find it feels cheap at all.

Back