Anyone else prefer 154cm to super steels

I May sound like the minority on this but I prefer my 154cm mini grip to my s30v knives or other high end steels. I’m not the best at sharpening so I prefer the ease and softness of 154. Takes a nice edge and holds it for a decent amount of time. Also doesn’t seem to chip as easily

I much prefer M390 to CPM 154, but 154CM(or it’s PM successor) over S30V. I can’t exactly explain it, but M390 is easier to sharpen than most modern stainless steels. I have a decent little pile of it, so maybe it is just because I’m used to it. I’ve never chipped M390 either.

Depends on usage for me. I've been in positions where I had to cut lots of cardboard and other, fairly abrasive, stuff on the regular. In those situations steel like M390, K390, M4 and similar absolutely knock 154CM out of the park. For more normal, everyday tasks, I like steels like VG10, CPM154 and my current favorite is actually 14c28n. Those all take a vicious edge and are easy to maintain with a strop. They're also easy to repair in case of edge damage. If I don't need extreme wear resistance, I would rather go with something a bit easier on the pocketbook as well.

cpm-154 I prefer to 154cm. also prefer cpm-154 to s30v and s35v, but not to every super steel. some I like better than cpm-154. that said I like all steels.. they all have their use and purpose.

I like 154CM. Nothing wrong with it. But I much prefer higher end steels like M390 , S90V and even S30V.

yes, CPM154 as far as I'm concerned is a 'super steel'... it's very much the spiritual brother to RWL34 (ie, Loveless steel) as it shares an almost identical composition

my only small small gripe with it is the low amount of vanadium which is usually there, but more 'incidental' than intentional... They should force a minimum of 0.5% or 1% imho

AND it's used in the 2018 bladeforum knife :) good stuff all around

an important point to note is that super steel (bar stock) prices are much lower than super steel knives

most folding knives have a 3.5" blade, so overall they need a 4" x 1.5" bar of 0.125" steel.

a piece of m390 in that size only costs about $15

Don't care for CM-154. in either one of my Grippies or my Emerson. Maybe it's the geometry of those blades but they don't cut well or hold an edge. CPM-154 is another matter altogether, speaking of my BassPro 110. Easier to sharpen, takes a fantastic very fine edge and holds it.

I posted in a thread not so long ago that I think I had found my limit for "dimishing returns" for blade steels ...

and by that I meant that I have and like and use many different steels for different uses ... but found that CPM154 ... S35VN ... AEB-L (which is quickly becoming one of my favorite steels stainless or non stainless) ... M390 ... VG-10 ... and a few others on the stainless side seem to suit my needs best and I found no real advantage in steels like S110V or S90V and that line ...

Cruwear is one I haven't tried but might at some point ... I can say I do not care for S30V ... it has just never impressed me and I was surprised at how S35VN did thinking there was such minor differences in materials ...

they are fine steels but I can sharpen and maintain the steels mentioned much easier and they perform nearly as well as the newer "super steels" for my uses ...

And in non stainless good old 1095 ... 5160 ... D3V ... 52100 ... A2 still perform great for me in the knives I have them in ... and a new favorite M4 has really caught my attention ...

but to simplify it ... yes I do see for me personally that many of the newest "super steels" truely give me no benefit over some of the "super steels" of the last 10 years.

Last edited:
I prefer 154CM/ATS-34, VG-10, AUS-8, 1095 et al to the super steels.

I enjoy sharpening, but I like it to not be a chore. I like touching blades up on the top of my car window or bottom of my coffee mug followed by a "strop" on the morning newspaper. I like that those budget steels get super sharp with no effort really on my part. I like that I can get a knife in these steels for a real reasonable price. They stay plenty sharp for me for the tasks I delegate to them.

Ease of sharpening and bottom line affordability are "super" characteristics in my book.

I'm with you on that. It's a great mix between edge holding and ease/speed of sharpening.

S30v isn't even a super steel any more. Even so, I notice it takes about twice as long to touch up than AUS8 or VG10.

I like 154CM. It seems to sharpen easily and holds an edge pretty well. (Except on zip ties) About like 1095 carbon steel, but stainless.

I've got my first super steel inbound: Maxamet on a Native. Im worried my poor ceramic rods might not be hard enough to put the micro bevel on it... (I read that it approaches Rc70...)

My problem is that I like a lot of knife designs that use 8Cr, which seems to fold right over after cutting one zip tie. I can actually SEE it. That's frustrating. I think 154CM is about on par with a properly heat treated 8Cr, right?

They should save some time and cut zip ties instead of cardboard and sisal rope to test edge-holding ability.

S30v isn't even a super steel any more. Even so, I notice it takes about twice as long to touch up than AUS8 or VG10.

I like 154CM. It seems to sharpen easily and holds an edge pretty well. (Except on zip ties) About like 1095 carbon steel, but stainless.

I've got my first super steel inbound: Maxamet on a Native. Im worried my poor ceramic rods might not be hard enough to put the micro bevel on it... (I read that it approaches Rc70...)

My problem is that I like a lot of knife designs that use 8Cr, which seems to fold right over after cutting one zip tie. I can actually SEE it. That's frustrating. I think 154CM is about on par with a properly heat treated 8Cr, right?

They should save some time and cut zip ties instead of cardboard and sisal rope to test edge-holding ability.
I've had a rather different experience. I'd put 154cm far above 1095 for edge holding. My examples (Leatherman's version) holds an edge far and above the 1095 in my GEC knives or the 8Cr13Mov in my CRKT. I use my LM Charge all the time on cable ties without a problem.

154CM 440C VG10 1095 etc all good. I would think if some folks worked on their sharpening process they might find the not so super steels work just fine. The harder the steel the more time spent sharpening. Some of these current knives with the thick blades will never work as well as the thinner ones.l Just my 2 cents.

Back