Anyone Else Raiding The Wild Edibles Yet?

Mistwalker

Gold Member
We had a really wet winter here, and now we are having a really awesome berry crop. I've been really enjoying all the blackberries, mulberries, and wine raspberries here, and looking forward to the elderberries and passion fruit getting ripe.

20190705_224349.jpg

20190626_183425.jpg

20190614_204353.jpg

20190614_200726.jpg

20190618_201136.jpg

20190625_205435.jpg

20190624_160043.jpg

20190615_171838.jpg

20190706_142450.jpg

20190618_204009.jpg

20190705_231505.jpg

20190615_180120.jpg

27.jpg

Got a bunch of morels and ramps about 6 weeks ago. Been picking the garlic mustard,plantain and wild violet greens for salad. Checked the blackberrries and raspberries this weekend but not ready yet. Found half a dozen pot plants.--:)--KV

Blackberries and wineberries are scattered everywhere. My son loves getting out doing anything just so he can eat fresh berries. Picked a few blueberries but they are not as plentiful.

We only have this variety arround here, which I think you call blackberries. However it is too soon to pick them. Here were I live is more of a mid-august late-september fruit. We have some wild strawberries but not too many.

I used to make mermelade out of them!

I am constantly munching on the bull briars/ common briars. Every time I pinch the tender tips 2 more grow back. One of my favorite trail snacks.

I've read they're a lot like a wild asparagus sort of thing, but I've yet to try them due to the dental issues I'm going through since first reading about them a while back. Life on the streets did a lot of long term damage I am just now getting around to repairing and getting dentures. I wonder if they do like asparagus does when it is steamed long enough to get softer?

Got a bunch of morels and ramps about 6 weeks ago. Been picking the garlic mustard,plantain and wild violet greens for salad. Checked the blackberrries and raspberries this weekend but not ready yet. Found half a dozen pot plants.--:)--KV

I haven't had morels since I left Michigan. I have never seen them this far south. It's been a while since I walked up on a pot patch. I'd much prefer those to some of the covert meth and heroine labs I've found in some secluded locations while out working.

Blackberries and wineberries are scattered everywhere. My son loves getting out doing anything just so he can eat fresh berries. Picked a few blueberries but they are not as plentiful.

I love the blackberries and wine berries, some of ,my favorites. I haven't found any huckleberries around this area. Haven't seen them since I left south Alabama years ago.

We only have this variety arround here, which I think you call blackberries. However it is too soon to pick them. Here were I live is more of a mid-august late-september fruit. We have some wild strawberries but not too many.

I used to make mermelade out of them!

Yes, those are the blackberries. We had an awesome harvest of those this year. I think I have picked a couple of gallons so far. We have a few wild strawberries but not many. I love them when I find them, but it's rare.

Reactions: JV3
We had a really wet winter here, and now we are having a really awesome berry crop. I've been really enjoying all the blackberries, mulberries, and wine raspberries here, and looking forward to the elderberries and passion fruit getting ripe.

20190705_224349.jpg

20190626_183425.jpg

20190614_204353.jpg

20190614_200726.jpg

20190618_201136.jpg

20190625_205435.jpg

20190624_160043.jpg

20190615_171838.jpg

20190706_142450.jpg

20190618_204009.jpg

20190705_231505.jpg

20190615_180120.jpg

27.jpg

Service berries are really common this time of year around my area. They’re kind of like blueberries that grow on a tree. The Mulberries are just starting to come out but aren’t ripe yet. Raspberries, strawberries and blackberries can be found sometimes if you know where to look

I love eating these things but since I live in the city I got to make sure I wash them.

Service berries are really common this time of year around my area. They’re kind of like blueberries that grow on a tree. The Mulberries are just starting to come out but aren’t ripe yet. Raspberries, strawberries and blackberries can be found sometimes if you know where to look

I love eating these things but since I live in the city I got to make sure I wash them.

I image the Service berries, also called Autumn Olive, are going good here right now actually. I had forgotten about them, and haven't been over to Prentice Cooper since the winter. They usually aren't ripe till mid or late August. I love munching on them too, I'll have to go back to the few patches I know of and see how they are doing. This shot is from August 21st 2016. And thanks to the issues of navigating the divorce I asked for that autumn and spending till this last April extricating myself from a very toxic personal relationship, as well as ending several toxic business relationships, then sorting out singleparenthood with a badly damaged leg through the last of 2017 and most of 2018, I haven't been back to that area since.
DSC_8310.jpg

I image the Service berries, also called Autumn Olive, are going good here right now actually. I had forgotten about them, and haven't been over to Prentice Cooper since the winter. They usually aren't ripe till mid or late August. I love munching on them too, I'll have to go back to the few patches I know of and see how they are doing. This shot is from August 21st 2016. And thanks to the issues of navigating the divorce I asked for that autumn and spending till this last April extricating myself from a very toxic personal relationship, as well as ending several toxic business relationships, then sorting out singleparenthood with a badly damaged leg through the last of 2017 and most of 2018, I haven't been back to that area since.
DSC_8310.jpg

Yeah the good thing about service berries is they grow super abundant on each little tree. They are actually quite delicious too. However there are so many of them the only way to take full advantage is to collect a whole bunch of them and make preserves with them.

Yeah the good thing about service berries is they grow super abundant on each little tree. They are actually quite delicious too. However there are so many of them the only way to take full advantage is to collect a whole bunch of them and make preserves with them.

I agree 100%. I really liked the preserves the one time I've tried them, but mostly I just snack on them when I can find ripe ones I've beaten the birds to :)

Blackberries are done here. Got a good bit though, was a good season. Muscadines coming in now and maybe some figs.

I took this picture a couple weeks ago I think.

IhCt6SE.jpg

My personal favorite that grows on my boundary, Black Raspberries. I snack on them plain and mix them in with vanilla ice cream. They don’t stick around too long, so I grab ‘em while I can. I eat them about as quick as I can get them too. I need to transplant a few more somehow.. they are tasty!

The Blackberries are coming in quick now. There’s a few ripe ones as I speak, but the bulk are red and green yet. A week or two and I’ll have a whole lot more of them. I always like to snag a few while I’m mowing. I have a lot more of them than I know what to do with. I’ll have to grab a picture, but the ones up top are pretty indicative of what mine look like as well.

Yes, those are the blackberries. We had an awesome harvest of those this year. I think I have picked a couple of gallons so far.
They grow all over the place here. You don't even need to go into the fields. They seem to grow on he side of any road! Pretty much anywhere that gets neglected is full of these plants. I usually eat them as is with yogurt or even plain milk. To make mermelade out of them I try to pick at least 3kg, otherwise the mess you make in the kitchen is not worth it.

A good way to keep berries is to freeze them on a cookie sheet before bagging. They stay separate instead of one big clump.-KV

Great advice!!! I will try to remember that this year. Could be a great way to preserve them and be able to eat them all year round.

DSC_8310.jpg
Great picture. I feel for you relative to the divorce. It isn't fun to go through even when you know this is what I should do (for me). The leg.... what happened? You have to protect that body!! It is the only one you have. You learn stuff like this when you get older. Things break easier, hurt longer and heal slower. Even at 50, you're no spring chicken anymore even though your mind hasn't told you yet that anything has changed.

I could tell you some stories about my life in the last year, but nobody actually cares. Spend time with your daughter. She will be grown up before you know it.

I imagine the blackberry feast in the Smoky's is about over for the bears now and they'll be waiting for the black cherries to get ripe.

Thanks man. I first suggested the divorce in 2012, she wouldn't agree to it and I couldn't afford to fight for it. I asked again in 2015 and 16 and she finally gave in at the end of 2016, thank god. I was finally completely legally disconnected from her, other than our daughter I have custody of, on April 9th of this year. That was the most sincerely I have celebrated any one moment in my life other than the births of my children. She had us so completely screwed up financially by the time it was final I am starting all over again from rock bottom, but I am finding out it's easier to pull the wagon by myself than it was trying to pull it with someone else always trying to pull it in the opposite direction.

As for the leg, it was June of 2017. School had just let out and it was my first summer as a single dad. It was also a few months into my first year of officially working for RMJ Tactical on payroll as a contractor, and no longer just quietly consulting behind the scenes as I had done for the preceding 7 years. I was doing some tests of a new knife, one I helped Ryan develop for friends on the Naval Special Warfare Teams, and part of the carry system we had made for it. It was Riverbend and I wanted to go see a friend I could see inside. I had my wrist band and tokens, but didn't want to walk the three miles back to my truck to put the knife up first, and didn't want to stash it, and they were doing metal detecting at the gate. So I jumped off a wall. The wall was just over 10 feet high. I had done it multiple times before, but that time it was dark and I landed poorly. Stress fractured the fibula, broke the heel, tore the achilles tendon, and tore the cartilage that connects everything down there. I couldn't afford the surgery to fix it or the time off work. So I took three days off to lay around and get past the worst pain and went back to work as best I could. It took all I had to do that, and that's when I went MIA here on the forums for the most part. I can walk okay again now, though it hurts some when I do off road walking. But I routinely ruck about ten miles a day for my work when i am gathering illustration images. I still can't run much yet, and stairs are a pain first thing in the morning, but at least I am viable again with a major lesson learned :) By that Autumn I would hate being involved with RMJ and leave it behind. In hindsight I should have just stashed the knife and went on, but hindsight is 20/20 eh?

I love the black cherries. We have a few of them down this way in the hills but very few with lots of competition. The blackberries are still going here though, just beginning to wind down.

I can understand jumping off a wall to get into the Riverbend festival if for no other reason than to chop off some distance (even when you had the bracelet (admission)). You can do a lot of walking there and parking is always an issue. I haven't attended for the last 5 years. It all just got really old and the price of the general admission has gone up quickly. Pretty much only went for one day anyway. I still have a pile of tokens lying around. Never liked the idea of tokens there.

Stashing the knife.... depends on the knife. I have stashed knives in the bushes at the court house a few times. Nothing particularly expensive however.

We all missed you here at BF. The Wilderness sub forums haven't been the same. They pretty much died where as it was one of my favorite forums here for years. Things come around again. I attribute it to folks being busy and the general aging of the regulars.

The injury potential thing hit me hard when that college basketball player jumped for a shot/rebound (whatever) and broke his leg when he landed. The young man was at the height of his physical abilities and breaks is fricking leg playing basketball and doing normal stuff..... Such a simple thing can really screw things up and he was young. I simply won't do many of the things I would not have thought twice doing in the past. For me, it simply isn't worth the risk when in the past I never really attached much risk at all to ordinary woods obstacles you normally encounter.... "the greater the effort, the sweeter the reward..." I'll often pass. That is not to say that accidents can't happen.

I haven't been back to Riverbend since that year. Too expensive and too much hassle for what you get there. This year is was abbreviated to four days I think. I still have a few rolls of tokens in a box.

I've done the same thing when I've walked to the courthouse from a ways off. Usually I try to just drive and leave my stuff in my vehicle.

Thanks man. I've missed the wilderness forums here too, and having been working my way back this way for months. I am hoping there are still enough of us hanging out here to generate some good discussions again. I do have some fun on facebook, with friends of other hobbies from around the globe, but I prefer to do serious knife discussions and wilderness skills discussions here, where we are free to talk about these sorts of things without fear of our content being removed because it displeases Mark Z. I'm really not all that fond of IG. It's a good place to share an image or three here and there and I enjoy uploading some there, but overall it seems a really shallow pond to me. It's like a very lite version of social media that lacks most of the substance of the social aspect. Good for the over-busy and distractable maybe (or perhaps bad for them and they just don't realize it yet). But not so good for the more intellectual or cerebral of us, who enjoy the camaraderie, fellowship, and good discussions with fellow serious enthusiasts of the subjects we enjoy here. To me what we have here at BF is something certainly worth paying to support, because most free stuff in life is usually worth about as much as you paid for it, and to me this is a place much more worthy of making worthwhile contributions to the archives of than any social media platform I've seen.

Yeah, the injury drove home a point. How close I came to leaving my daughter stuck with her mother the way my father's accident left me stuck with my mother and stepfather when I was 12. I'd rather not relegate my daughter to the life I had. So I take a lot less risks these days.

Last edited:
nice haul! i haven't been to the woods lately due to the extreme heat but things should start cooling down now.

nice haul! i haven't been to the woods lately due to the extreme heat but things should start cooling down now.

Yeah, I've seen a few heat indexes above 100F here while I've been out this summer. I know what you mean lol

Back