Anyone else receive knife with scuff marks?

Hey, it is not that I despise you collector types. I just took the earlier comments about scuff marks as complaining.

To clarify, a knife, for thousands of years has been a weapon first. All weapons are tools, but in todays world it is necessary to differentiate.

The Strider WB that I spoke of, has been sharpened many times and the 550 has some stains on it. When I said it still looked the same, I meant that there was no scratching, pitting or chips in the blade.

As far as use; I have cut apart cars to find concealed narcotics, cut the hinges off of a QUADCON, hacked apart numerous padlocks, cut open security screens, chainlink fences, used it as a peton, it has been on every dive I've made in the past four years, dug numerous hides in rocky soil, gutted and skinned various types of animals, the list goes on and on and on. The average operator puts his STRIDER through far more rigors than this per deployment.

Like I stated earlier, I do not have any contempt for collectors, I just get pissed when people whine.

S/F

out

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KnifeBomber:
Therefore, you cancel out good argumentative points by assuming you are better than us.</font>
Thanks for the compliments, but where or how did I assume that I was better than you? Was I calceling out you from owning knives in general or something like that?

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

Ok, peace Mr_Joshua
smile.gif

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

[This message has been edited by Gator97 (edited 02-13-2001).]

By saying that your opinion was more correct or right than mine, you portray yourself as having an air of superiority. My opinion that collectors should be hanged, (joke) is no less valid nor right then your opinion. When it comes to facts, there is arguably a right and wrong. When it comes to opinions, there is no right answer or wrong answer.

------------------
Ryan Renuart
Aerial Gunner
"That Others May Live"

Ya know, the Strider guys make a particular style of knife, the genesis of which I understand came from making this style of knife for "unique" clientele. Now, whether you are a collector who is going to hang his Strider knife on the wall, or a "user" who is going to go cut up "QUADCON's" with it, asking them to make it nice and shiny, or 'purty', is making it no longer the knife style that made Strider great. Seems to me that regardless of who you are or what you are going to do with the knife, you should revel in the scratches on the blade, because that is the look of a user knife, the look of a Strider. It certainly doesn't detract from its cutting/digging/hacking/killing effectiveness. But, I could see it being detrimental to a low-visibility profile, if those scratches start to become shiny. But, like Duane said, that's easy enough to fix.

Now, I personally would LOVE to see a few more knives come out from the Strider guys looking like Cormack's damascus wonder-blade. But that definitely wouldn't be a user blade, and would only be placed in a suede lined leather sheath as far as I'm concerned. No scratches for THAT baby.
eek.gif

What the hell is a QUADCON, by the way? I have this wild vision of a WB hacking its way down the side of something like an old APC, or a... what was it?... gamma goat, or something like that?

Anyway, I'm not a special operator type or anything. I'm just someone that hopes to someday scrape the money together into one pile to buy a nice MT or WB and use the hell out of it.

------------------
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce
Most dog owners are at length able to teach themselves to obey their dog. - Robert Morley

iktomi

Gee guys I realy didn't mean to start all this quarrelling. Like I said earlier I was just curious about the origins of the marks, that's all. I started prying, cutting and digging with it right after I got it. The marks were rather inconsequential.
I have other questions about the knife too, such as all the configurations of the sheath system. Maybe I'll wait 'till things cool down before I inquire.

Wow, it must make Duane and Mick proud to realize such passion for their products. It seems, if you keep an open mind, that everyone has some pretty valid points/perspectives. Not that they need my endorsement- but KnifeBomber, Gator97 and Mr.Joshua share some interesting perspectives...however. While we can all appreciate that these are wonderful and sought after tools and...yes, they do scream of the warrior toolbag (and mindset) we may be overlooking their value as art to others. Thus the concern over cosmetic issues, I don't have to share this position - but I do understand. Recently at a show, I had 2 of the BT's on display...one had marks, NBD to me but it was a no go with the customer. He had never spent that much on a knife - it was a knife to him and not a tool- and honestly if it put him in a better frame of mind so what. Mick and Duane have shared something with me/us that is difficult to throw a label on. You may only find them (the knives) attractive in their existence as an art form, application of the maker's skill or usefulness...or with the right circumstances they might help save your life. Any or all of these could be considered valid for any of us. Just a thought...Stay Safe - Joe.

Look fellow warriors, striders are weapons and if you are just selling these Striders for hardcore warriors Strider is going to go out of business because the majority of people on this board are not hardcore LE or military.

You guys are talking about killing with knives. I will go for my gun first. You can pull out your blade on me. I will pull out one of my many guns and shoot you. Guns are better weapons than knives.

[This message has been edited by rogue_spear (edited 02-24-2001).]

I suppose you have a suppressor for that gun too? What good is the gun if it is going to give away your position in a stealthy situation tough guy?
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rogue_spear:
I will pull out one of my many guns and shoot you. Guns are better weapons than knives.</font>

I always carry around "many" guns too. Laugh, call me strange but I usually only carry around one gun at a time and it seems to work out real well for me. If you firmly believe that one weapon is better than another then you need a reality check buddy. It boils down to having the right weapon for the right situation. Would you try to snipe someone from 700 meters with a .45 cal. handgun? Oh, that's right, you probably could.

killerkain

P.S. Sorry Mick, couldn't leave this one alone.

[This message has been edited by killerkain (edited 02-24-2001).]

Sorry about all the edits on the last post guys, had a bit much of guinness last night.

killerkain
s/f

I believe it's good that we have this forum to help us all realize we can be shortsighted at times. For those who don't want scratches on your knives when they are shipped, make it a point to tell us in the future that you are NOT buying it to be a lifetaker or a lowcrawler with it. And be proud to tell us you would like to keep it looking like a new knife forever. We should be flattered that anyone would want to do so. And I realize my own shortsightedness and hope all others have that experience at times as well just to keep us all humble. For example (and please understand I'm not picking on this person, it's just an example) Mr. Rogue Spear, I have a good friend named Rance whom if placed in an elevator with you, and your pistol is the tool you would choose to fight with, would, ten times out of ten, defeat you regardless of what kind of pistol or carry system you may have. My point is we all get a bit overcommitted in our comments at times and need to realize two things;
1. It's not whether I'm right or your right, it's what's right that counts.
2. There's an ass for every seat.
Anyone who is purchasing a knife from us and would like it "scratch free" let us know and we will do the best we can to assure that it does not get drawn in and out of the sheath repeatedly and we have some very nice, lined storage pouches available made from the finest Mildew and Rot Treated Olive Drab Canvas for a small extra fee. If you prefer to have it shipped in one of these vs. in the sheath, let us know. And continue too take pride in your collection and have fun with all of us high strung wierdos that think you are nuts.
Duane
"Every cripple has his own way of walking"

Strider Guys,
You can make mine with "scrathes."
I like 'em like that
smile.gif

It adds "character", and its "character" is only going to build anyhow...

Horse
Hope to pick up the knife from SOE by 6 Mar so I can float with it...Thanks

------------------
"Fear is for the enemy.
Fear and Bullets."

Okay, just a few questions.....

What bag?? Y'all mentioned a Strider bag, someone else asked, and I guess I missed the story on that.

Scuff marks on a knife? Sheesh, I don't think I own a knife that ISN'T scuffed, or scratched, or dinged, or tweaked in some way. That's what adds character to one's equipment.

I've been eyeballin' that WB for a while now, and when I do get mine, I hope it's scratched. That tells me someone took the time to ensure the sheath and knife don't fly apart when you end up upside down in one of those "inopportune" moments.

My first custom knife was BB'd twice. Not because of scuffs, because of stupidity. The scuffs, scratches, dents and dings all have a story.

I guees I'm agreeing with the others on this. If you bought it to go "ooooh!!" I can see why the scratches bother you. If you bought it because you needed a knife you could beat the @#$% out of, well, those scratches are the least of your worries.

BTW, Mr_Joshua - That QuadCon thingy, I never heard of it before, after looking at the picture, it looks like four ISU-90's hooked together. Is that what the QuadCon refers to when four ISU-90's are hooked together?? Damn Acronym happy Dept of Defense amazes me sometime!!

Duane Dwyer, I got a friend armed with a gun who will out draw your buddy with a knife in that elevator. You are definitely not making any sense.

Duane Dwyer, I got a friend armed with a gun who will out draw your buddy with a knife in that elevator. You are definitely not making any sense. </font>

He is making perfect sense. Your friend will most likely not have time to draw. Duane's friend will be able to close the distance, control the gun and go to work with his knife. For close work a knife is just as good as a gun and it even has some advantages, if you know what you are doing.

Shawn

Duane Dwyer, I got a friend armed with a gun who will out draw your buddy with a knife in that elevator. You are definitely not making any sense.</font>

I suppose your buddy is also wearing a speed rig and does not have his weapon concealed? Even is this is true, in close quarters he can be taken control of before the weapon is fully drawn. Actually, maybe even killed before his weapon is fully drawn. This also applies for someone that may be drawing a knife. If I restrain you first from drawing your weapon (say an armbar or a fatal punch to the throat) and then draw mine to gut you, then you are ****ed. My chances of pulling this outside of a couple feet greatly decrease. Remember, we are in a elevator.

killerkain

P.S. I have a buddy that can leap tall buildings and is faster than a speeding bullet. Laugh! This started with "YOU pulling your gun out and shooting US with your many guns."

Hey Roguespear,

The point Mr. Dwyer was making, was one held in general consensus by Law Enforcement and military alike. Even an untrained person can cause severe trauma and death with a knife once inside a certain distance. The most sited is 30 feet. I know that you have probably never shot or stabbed anyone, or have any real operational experience. Mr. Dwyer does, and you can rest assured, that if he makes a statement you can take it as fact.
There is always a place for a knife in combat. Ammunition is not limitless. If you are surrounded by Sommalis and you run out of ammo, are you going to give up? Or are you going to pull your knife and kill as many skinnies as you can before they get you?

S/F

Out

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by killerkain:
This started with "YOU pulling your gun out and shooting US with your many guns."</font>
Well, I think this all started earlier, when as answer to the question, several forum members all of the sudden decided to divide people here into warriors and nonwarriors.
As usual dividers ended up in a priviledged caste
smile.gif
For non warriors several different proposals were presented, starting from knife prohibition, ending with hanging. This of course was astonishingly bright, friendly, etc. etc.

If you remember killerkain, in this, and another thread there were several messages with less than polite comments and threats to those who classify as nonwarriors here.
That in turn, obviously caused negative reaction.

I do not think this thread and that sort of attitude is doing any good for Strider Knives
or anyone else here, warriors or non warriors.

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

Back