• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Anyone ever get an empty box instead of a knife?

This is a new one on me: yesterday I was supposed to receive a shipment from an online store, and all that was inside was bubble wrapping!

I won't fault the store because I've ordered from there before no issues, and it was handled by multiple carriers: UPS and USPS. Still an oddball situation for me. Store was very responsive and gave me a refund!

Never. I have once received a shrink wrapped DVD case with no DVD inside, a long time ago. I had no response to that.
I'd think it was the store though, but good thing they gave a refund.

I had a box from Fort Henry Custom Knives show up sans a $585 Zieba folder. Unfortunately for me, the owners, Vince and Marie, weren't so helpful. They said they'd file a report with USPS but I called USPS and was informed that they never did. Vince basically told me that they had no record of the item, so too bad. They also stopped responding to my emails.

Glad your situation was worked out more favorably, but I still get pissed thinking about Fort Henry.

Don't have a missing knife story but I do have a postal money order that I sent to an online knife store that ended up being stolen. It was altered and cashed by a postal worker. My first large knife purchase. Thank goodness I took pictures of the envelope and money order before I shipped it. Post office refunded the money after about 4 months. Don't know if they ever prosecuted the guy. Reordered the knife with a prepaid credit card. View attachment 1244449

Black Friday is a great time for deals but probably not so great for the folks at the store noticing stuff like an empty box or wrong blade.

I had a box from Fort Henry Custom Knives show up sans a $585 Zieba folder. Unfortunately for me, the owners, Vince and Marie, weren't so helpful. They said they'd file a report with USPS but I called USPS and was informed that they never did. Vince basically told me that they had no record of the item, so too bad. They also stopped responding to my emails.

Glad your situation was worked out more favorably, but I still get pissed thinking about Fort Henry.

Did you ever post a thread about the issue w/ Vince? or get your money back or anything?
I've bought quite a few knives from Vince and have nothing but good to say about him. Something like that makes me wary of continuing to choose FH over other distributors in the future.

A few years ago I purchased a MSC SNG from a (former)forum member and received a beat up Kershaw in a sock instead.

Managed to get my money back but it was a cluster f$&k for a while.

THAT IS HUGE with regard to Fort Henry Knives. It is enough for me not to buy from them if I have other options. Does anyone know if they have a store front with public access?

I am expecting a UPS package today. The shipper has the weight listed less than half of what the item weighs and I am a little concerned that something is wrong.

Added: Everything is fine with the item that I received and my guess is that the 2 lbs listed weight was actually 12 lbs and mostly likely a typo.

Last edited:
Did you ever post a thread about the issue w/ Vince? or get your money back or anything?
I've bought quite a few knives from Vince and have nothing but good to say about him. Something like that makes me wary of continuing to choose FH over other distributors in the future.
I haven't yet. I'll write up a post and collect the evidence again. It happened a while ago.

THAT IS HUGE with regard to Fort Henry Knives. It is enough for me not to buy from them if I have other options. Does anyone know if they have a store front with public access?

I am expecting a UPS package today. The shipper has the weight listed less than half of what the item weighs and I am a little concerned that something is wrong.
Not sure about that. I've never heard of them being anything other than online-only.

Just curious, how do you tell the difference between A) a buyer that takes a knife out and then claims the box was empty; B) a box that has been pilfered by the carrier; and C) a box that never had a knife put in it ? Given that the USPS doesn't track actual weight.

I have had this conversation with a larger dealer previously that now has video running overhead the shipping station for just such issues. So far, every issue investigated had the correct product going into the package and the package sealed correctly. They have even had customers claiming the wrong knife was sent; surprise - they ordered a $500 knife and received a $50 knife (but video shows the $500 knife going into the box). Should dealers add the cost of self-insurance into the product for just such occasions? Sincerely trying to figure out a solution to this problem that works for everyone.

I haven't yet. I'll write up a post and collect the evidence again. It happened a while ago.

Not sure about that. I've never heard of them being anything other than online-only.

If you have the time, absolutely please write up what happened and the correspondence you had w/ FH.

That is nuts!! I've never had to use the insurance claims on my shipments, but a few times I've sent knives through USPS insured up to $500. Vince and Marie didn't put insurance on the shipment?

That is nuts!! I've never had to use the insurance claims on my shipments, but a few times I've sent knives through USPS insured up to $500. Vince and Marie didn't put insurance on the shipment?
I made a post about the whole situation. Marie said she would try to get reimbursement from USPS, but also that it wasn't likely. Correspondence with them stopped after a while. I never found out if it was insured or not. If it was, and Vince and Marie claimed the insurance, I didn't get it.

Lost a grail because the sender didn't think to tape the USPS box closed - just folded in the flaps. Thinking about the idiot still chaps my hide.

Just curious, how do you tell the difference between A) a buyer that takes a knife out and then claims the box was empty; B) a box that has been pilfered by the carrier; and C) a box that never had a knife put in it ? Given that the USPS doesn't track actual weight.

I have had this conversation with a larger dealer previously that now has video running overhead the shipping station for just such issues. So far, every issue investigated had the correct product going into the package and the package sealed correctly. They have even had customers claiming the wrong knife was sent; surprise - they ordered a $500 knife and received a $50 knife (but video shows the $500 knife going into the box). Should dealers add the cost of self-insurance into the product for just such occasions? Sincerely trying to figure out a solution to this problem that works for everyone.
The video approach might work in terms of proof at the seller's end. Ultimately it comes down to honesty and integrity.

As a buyer, a good way to protect yourself is to require signature for delivery. Before signing for the package, inspect it. If you have any reason to be concerned, refuse delivery.

Not for a knife, but last year I bought a used Chromebook through the website swappa and an empty box was delivered by UPS. I don't think the seller tried to rip me off, pretty sure it was somebody at UPS. The guy sent it in the original Chromebook packaging with some tape added to keep it closed.

It was all made good in the end but it was surprising. I knew as soon as I picked up the box though that it was empty.

Under the law in all fifty stares for over twenty-five years, the risk of loss of an item of "consumer goods," such as a knife intended for non-commercial use, is 100% on the seller until the knife reaches the buyer IF there is an agreed delivery address UNLESS the buyer expressly agrees otherwise.

My experience: a few years ago an ePrey seller in Finland, who turned out to be a Chinese exchange student, sold me a puukko and mailed it in a plain paper business envelope - no wrap; no padding; just the envelope. Only the sheath arrived. Informed, he proposed a 50% refund. I reversed the credit card payment 100%. He "punished" me by preventing me from buying from him again. :)

Last edited:
Back