• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Anyone ever get an empty box instead of a knife?

Under the law in all fifty stares for over twenty-five years, the risk of loss of an item of "consumer goods," such as a knife intended for non-commercial use, is 100% on the seller until the knife reaches the buyer IF there is an agreed delivery address UNLESS the buyer expressly agrees otherwise.

My experience: a few years ago an ePrey seller in Finland, who turned out to be a Chinese exchange student, sold me a puukko and mailed it in a plain paper business envelope - no wrap; no padding; just the envelope. Only the sheath arrived. Informed, he proposed a 50% refund. I reversed the credit card payment 100%. He "punished" me by preventing me from buying from him again. :)

For a buyer, paying via a credit card or Paypal goods and services is the safe bet for these situations.

Under the law in all fifty stares for over twenty-five years, the risk of loss of an item of "consumer goods," such as a knife intended for non-commercial use, is 100% on the seller until the knife reaches the buyer IF there is an agreed delivery address UNLESS the buyer expressly agrees otherwise.

My experience: a few years ago an ePrey seller in Finland, who turned out to be a Chinese exchange student, sold me a puukko and mailed it in a plain paper business envelope - no wrap; no padding; just the envelope. Only the sheath arrived. Informed, he proposed a 50% refund. I reversed the credit card payment 100%. He "punished" me by preventing me from buying from him again. :)

Double post

Had an Amazon seller try that discounted refund offer once. Eventually I got all my money back after I filed a complaint with Amazon and left a negative review on their account. They then had the audacity to ask me to take down the review after they finally sent me the refund...I posted another negative review explaining what they tried to do and never heard another word from them.

How does this translate for international shipments?

How does this translate for packages scanned delivered?

If the risk of loss is on the seller until the buyer concurs they received the knife - there would be crooks lining up around the corner to order them.

How does this translate for international shipments?
That is complicated. Gust for starters, do the seller's terms have a choice of law provision ("All disputes will be determined under the law of ____________.")?

How does this translate for packages scanned delivered?

A delivery record is just evidence, not conclusive for UCC purposes. There may be contrary evidence. PayPal is another matter if you want a PP remedy.

If the risk of loss is on the seller until the buyer concurs they received the knife - there would be crooks lining up around the corner to order them.

The issue is whether the buyer received the item or not. His concurrence is not material. His statement that he never got it is evidence, not conclusive. But the risk of scammers is why they made insurance and credit ratings.

Thanks Thomas. Unfortunately, it seems these laws rarely, if ever, come into play for transactions of this value between individuals and/or small businesses in the knife world, and I'd expect it's even less applicable to international dealings.
I hadn't even asked for a refund. I just wanted help with initiating an investigation and search with USPS. Vince and Marie of Fort Henry Custom Knives couldn't be bothered to actually do it or reply.

Last edited:
For a buyer, paying via a credit card or Paypal goods and services is the safe bet for these situations.
This past spring I ordered a knife from a company in Northwoods, NH. I got an empty unclosed box. On the box was a sticker from the local Northwoods Post Office that said they received it as is and empty.
After months of trying and never getting a response I gave up. And to make me madder it was an Amazon 3rd party seller and Amazon basically said tough luck.
These are some of the reasons I am here.

Back