Anyone familiar with this one?

Hi Folks,

New to the Ka-Bar section of the forum. In fact , just found out this section was here.
I bought a collection of knives the other day and this was in with all the stuff.
A search on the internet turned up no info. Has anyone seen one of these before? Is it real Ka-Bar? Maybe nothing turned up because there are no closed packages left?
I know if my Dad had brought this home to me as a kid , that packaging would have been tore open in seconds.
Burnt Stag.
OHV9un7.jpg

8rLrDw7.jpg

I dont know anything about it. But it is pretty cool!!!! Looks like something a Boyscout troop would put together.

It looks like a legit 1233, just in a build-it-yourself kit.

Is there any other printing on the sides of the box?

I don't recognize the 02-1310 or the AD537 codes. Seems kinda like something Cole National would have put out in the 70s or early 80s.

It looks like a legit 1233, just in a build-it-yourself kit.

Is there any other printing on the sides of the box?

I don't recognize the 02-1310 or the AD537 codes. Seems kinda like something Cole National would have put out in the 70s or early 80s.

My thoughts exactly. This looks like a Cole National special. Cole National owned KA-BAR during some hard times in the company history. I have to give them credit as they kept the KA-BAR name alive and didn't blow out the brand, which would have been very easy to do. Even during this time period most of the knives were made in Olean, NY.

zzyzzogeton zzyzzogeton I would definitely buy a kit like that. Kind of makes it more personal when you assemble it your self. Hell we all like to modify our blades anyway. I Think its a win win idea zzy

OKB - Maybe Kabar could do something like this again... "a blast from the past" kinda thing, just with a modern flare.
I agree. They should do something like this with the Mk.1 as well. Maybe with different handle materials that you can choose like micarta, ivory, kraton g, leather, brass, aluminum etc. I am going to keep my eyes out for one of these. Thanks for sharing that, what a cool idea. I would buy one in a heartbeat. I think that kabar should make a new variation of the aluminum handled kabar knives again, but with an almost jet pilots survival knife shaped blade and at least a half tang blade and aluminum handle. That would be perfect.

I actually have one of these kits somewhere. I got it in a pile of old literature and KA-BAR Collector's Club newsletters that I purchased from an older KA-BAR collector probably 20 years ago. I have no info on it's production date though.

Cool, I have not seen the wood handle one. Was there a specific date associated with these ads you found? Or do we just chalk them up to the Cole era?

Last edited:
Cool, I have not seen the wood handle one. Was there a specific date associated with these ads you found? Or do we just chalk them up to the Cole era?

No specific date I have found. This was in a box of miscellaneous Cole-era paperwork. Will post if I find more information.

Well, for all you guys who would like one, one has just shown up on ebay!! Go for it!!

No eBay links to a active sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
At $255 I'll pass. The finished knife is still part of the KABAR line and you can pick it up new for under $40.

The ones they now sell these days are not made in the USA. I agree the asking price is out there but perhaps a collector of esoteric KA-BAR items would love it. I only posted about it since there were several folks who had posted they'd love one.

Not intending to jump on you for posting the auction. Just added my 2 cents worth,(and that value is highly inflated these days;)), regarding the sellers asking price as a caution to any members reading this thread who maybe about to make an impulsive decision. If someone wants a KABAR to add to their collection, IMHO there are a lot of better choices out there for that kind of money.

Back