Anyone have one of the aluminum SR-1s?

Opinions? I'm thinking about getting one over the Ti version just to save a few bucks, the Ti really isn't all that important to me. I would have posted it in the lion steel forum but I think general gets a more honest response than in a manufacturers forum. It's like going into the Busse forum and saying "Are Busses good?".

id like one and imo wouldnt worry about the aluminum vs titanium. like the ti version i believe the lock bar has a steel wear insert. the aluminum will weigh a little less. i dont see a knife like this being beat on so overall strength while probubly pretty good will likely never be put to the test in either material. Ti has more of bling appeal but most will look at it and probubly never know the difference. im liking the lionspy myself. as to long term use who knows, if you buy into a knife in a first production run your never going to get the benefit of numerous reviews before hand.

The Lionspy will fill the gap between the SR-1 Ti and the Aluminum. About $335 to $340 with Elmax ;) I had a beautiful SR-1 but sold it because it was so pretty I couldn't even put it in my pocket.

I plan to carry the Lionspy when I get it.

I have the Ti version. Haven't carried it in a while since scoring a Hinderer XM-24. The solid, one piece handle is very cool. One thing that I do not care for is the handle is very slick (meaning slippery). It goes in and out of pockets nicely (deep pocket clip), but also feels like it'll slip out of your hands also. YMMV. I put a lanyard on it to reduce that feeling. Kind of a weird feeling to have such a large knife feel so slippery in hand.

Over all the knife is put together very well. Nice attention to detail, solid lock-up, centered blade, even anodizing, and well done grind. I'd think you'd get the same thing with the aluminum version.

Not sure if I'll carry it again as an EDC.

I saw them today at the NYCKS. The Ti one felt heavier, uses Uddeholm's Sleipnir steel for the blade while the Aluminum one uses D2. Both models have framelocks that feature those removable steel inserts, and the Ti model comes with that spiffy wooden box. Just by looking at them you would hardly be able to tell the difference, not sure how the steels compare with each other.

I just received an orange al version and it is amazing. The quality for the price point is a deal. I have only carried it a couple days, but it will definitely be a daily user.

Back