Anyone have some Sm100 they'll part with?

Trying to source a bar of sm100. Needs to be a minimum of 1-1/4" wide and atleast 4-1/4" long x 1/8" thick at minimum. Will buy a longer/thicker bar though if need be!

I got a quote from SB Specialty Metals a few weeks ago. Pretty sure they're about the only source left. .140'' X 1.50'' X 12'' bar.

I got a quote from SB Specialty Metals a few weeks ago. Pretty sure they're about the only source left. .140'' X 1.50'' X 12'' bar.
I saw they don't have anything listed online. I sent them an email via the contact form but might just give them a call today. Do you recall what they quoted you at for that size bar? that would be perfect size for me.

I saw they don't have anything listed online. I sent them an email via the contact form but might just give them a call today. Do you recall what they quoted you at for that size bar? that would be perfect size for me.

They can't get any more & only have a few odd pieces laying around, so it's not listed. It's in the realm of a few hundred dollars + for that bar. I was a little shocked that it was 2.5x the price of Stellite 6BH - BUT it's also nearly unobtainable now....

They can't get any more & only have a few odd pieces laying around, so it's not listed. It's in the realm of a few hundred dollars + for that bar. I was a little shocked that it was 2.5x the price of Stellite 6BH - BUT it's also nearly unobtainable now....
Very interesting. Im going to give them a call and see if i can wiggle any reamining piece/s from them. Thank you!

Just gave them a call and they said they don't have any at all, bummer.

Check out Nitinol 60 it is the same as SM-100 - 60/40% Ni/Ti mix.

Maybe call Fort Wayne Metals about it and SM-100.

Will the regular Nitinol work? It is 50/50% Ti/Ni.

If this is all a dead end, use stellite 6B or 6K, or something similar. I don't know if you can still get David Boye's dendritic cobalt anymore, but it made great blades.

Will the regular Nitinol work? It is 50/50% Ti/Ni.

If this is all a dead end, use stellite 6B or 6K, or something similar. I don't know if you can still get David Boye's dendritic cobalt anymore, but it made great blades.
Regular nitinol isn't blade worthy from what I read. Its main purpose is to have excellent memory to where its really easy to bend when cold and then when warmed up it forms back to its original state.

AKS has talonite, which isn’t the same thing, but it’s exotic and available.

AKS has talonite, which isn’t the same thing, but it’s exotic and available.
Yeah I saw that there, not necessarily after anything exotic I specifically want to use sm100, I want the badass heat treat look, and it’s insane corrosion resistance that comes with the sm100

SM-100 is totally different to those cobalt alloy since it has capability to be heat treated to 63-64HRC and the oxide also has much higher wear resistance compare to 6al4v oxide. Sadly SB-Specialty no longer selling this stuff anymore and I believe they are no longer being made. Your best bet is to find some maker who have a large stock of it and willing to share it to you.

5EnK

Good.Luck.

Been trying for 6 months. A bar went on Ebay last month, but Ferrum Forge flat out said "No Way Jose" that they would do anything for me and I wouldn't trust anyone else. Keep me in the loop, I have some personal demons to slay with the stuff.

Good.Luck.

Been trying for 6 months. A bar went on Ebay last month, but Ferrum Forge flat out said "No Way Jose" that they would do anything for me and I wouldn't trust anyone else. Keep me in the loop, I have some personal demons to slay with the stuff.
I have a bar coming to me, found a guy who got 4 bars from someone else and he sold me 1 bar. I asked countless people and only found 1 who had/was getting some they’d part with

What are you going to do with it? Want to try and help me convince Ferrum to do something?

What are you going to do with it? Want to try and help me convince Ferrum to do something?
For frame lock blades. Not something I want to make a ton out of or anything. No one produces it anymore and it appears no companies have any in stock; or none they want to part with so it’s tough finding it

Can you keep me in the loop? Are making any for sale or just personal use?

Back