Anyone have trouble with the nail nick on the Farmer?

Hi, I find it next to impossible to deploy the blade on the Vic Farmer after I clip my nails. Anyone else have this problem? It has soured me on this design.

:grumpy:

No. And I keep my nails very close. So close I have to pick up a needle by the point if it's laying on the floor or a table.

As a life long traditional knife user, I keep my thumb nails just a tiny tad bit longer, and file them instead of clipping. I don't have any scientific proof, but I think filing the thumb nail keeps it just a bit thicker and less prone to damage. Better for opening traditional pocket knives.

I just received an Alox Farmer. I had to deepen the notch to lower the saw blade in the frame a bit to give me enough clearance to reach the nail nick on the main blade. No big deal to me, I do that sort of thing all the time.

As a life long traditional knife user, I keep my thumb nails just a tiny tad bit longer, and file them instead of clipping. I don't have any scientific proof, but I think filing the thumb nail keeps it just a bit thicker and less prone to damage. Better for opening traditional pocket knives.

Thanks for that info... I like my secondaries in front and it can get congested. I'll hunt down a nail filer, good evening

I also file my nails instead of clipping. I have better control on how much is removed, and I do feel it leaves the nails stronger, though that's only speculation on my part. I'm a certified massage therapist, so I must keep my nails short.

The only nailnick pocketknife I had a real problem wth was a large Case trapper back in the '90s. That one was a real nail-breaker that I ended up exchanging.

Jim

dogstar, I can see how one might have difficulty opening the Farmers blade, it's quite tight to the saw. Seems like the best solutions have been offered. Longer nails or a lower saw should make it easier. I once returned a knife because the secondary blade was near impossible to open without first opening the main blade. It was designed with a low nail nick and I suspect it was within specs but on the low end. A return settle it for me even though it was a nice knife. If it doesn't work for you there's always another that will. Best of luck, -James

Hi, everyone: happy new year to you! Thanks for your replies. You are the best!

I have a problem with nail nicks on most knives including the Alox Farmer. Because of it, most of my SAKs sit and collect dust.

The one exception is my Cadet. It seems to be easier to open than any other SAK I own but, it still takes a backseat to my modern folders.

Last edited:
Back