• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Anyone here get snagged in the Liong Mah mess?

Ozmose

Platinum Member
I've never really been a big fan of his stuff, but I definitely won't be buying any of it now. I guess his Field Duty 3.5 drop was a disaster and he doesn't seem to be handling it very well. Everyone had to wait 15 month for their preorder and now that they have them they're getting bad detents, wrong SKUs, and a bunch of factory defects. When they're contacting him about it, he's wanting them to pay for shipping again both ways to get it fixed. He absolutely lost his shit over the the review from Neeves Knives, and I really don't think his review was any worse than most of the others that came out. Anyone here in on that preorder?

Knife drama . .

I've heard nothing of this "drama", which means it only affected the subsection of people who need YouBoobfluencer "knife reviewers" to give them an opinion to call their own. I've never heard of this guy, but he looks like someone I'm not going to waste time watching (so he's not getting any click revenue from me, sorry), so I'm glad to say that no, I've not been "snagged" by whatever drama is going on between this guy and Liong Mah. 🤣

Neeves Knives has always been a great resource to get a good look and opinion on a knife prior to making online orders, as I cannot get my hands on anything before sending money.
Good on him for being honest. Best way to not have a shite review is to not make a shite knife.

I've heard nothing of this "drama", which means it only affected the subsection of people who need YouBoobfluencer "knife reviewers" to give them an opinion to call their own. I've never heard of this guy, but he looks like someone I'm not going to waste time watching (so he's not getting any click revenue from me, sorry), so I'm glad to say that no, I've not been "snagged" by whatever drama is going on between this guy and Liong Mah. 🤣
He actually has a lot of good videos on hand sharpening. That's how I came across his channel. Everyone and their brother had videos of fixed angle systems, but he was one of the few posting decent vids on hand sharpening recurves.

I struggle to understand how someone can have pride of ownership in knives designed by non-knife-makers who take a bunch of money up front, email a CAD drawing to a factory in China, and call it a day.

Last edited:
I’ve always steered clear of “mid-tech” or designer knives contracted out to “jobbers”. Maybe the maker or “knife designer” (which is apparently a thing now) offers a lifetime warranty on their manufactured knife; will you be able to make a claim on that 5, 10 or 25 years from now? How many extra of that model did they hold back for warranty claims? Or if they are an established knife maker with legitimate know how, are they willing to attempt repairs on your knife manufactured by an overseas company if they don’t have any spares left over 10 years from now? Seems like a recipe for failure to me.

I didn't realize Liong Mah didn't make his own knives. I assumed that he outsourced to Reate to make his custom designs more attainable. I agree, I would not buy a knife designed by someone who doesn't make their own knives.

People need to understand that the guy/guys behind a knife is as important as the knife itself.
Buying customs from a reputable maker is the best IMO because you can send them for a spa every couple years and have it just like new.
Not so much for one of these Chinese things.
Buy American with good warranty

NK should have skipped that last video of him "fixing" the problems with the knife and trying to appease LM. Came across as a lame attempt at ass kissing.

Nerves can be a bit annoying at times but he is a good reviewer. Reviews like this are helpful in that I know knives and makers to avoid. I’ll be avoiding Mah for sure.

I stopped being interested in Liong Mah after his little spat with the guy he hired to help make marketing videos over him not paying the guy. Liong Mah just seems to have a child-like temper and a short fuse for it. Plenty of cool-headed designers out there to choose from before paying $500-$600 for just another Reate outsource.

Back