Anyone interested in a fairly cheap pipe hawk made from good steel?

I hat to back out so quickly just can't do it right now. was really wanting to:grumpy:

Understand, Rustyboy. We still have enough guys interested so that it's not a deal breaker. I edited my earlier post to reflect the change.

I was hoping to update this with definite info on the order process, but I haven't heard back from Tim yet. I'll be calling him tomorrow, but of course if any of you have already spoken with them & got the scoop, lemme know.

Sounds like we're settled on the English pattern.

I'm in for 2, the english pattern looks fine to me.
How will I pay, is personal cheque ok? And whats the cost, did we settle on the 30 to 40 range?

Thanks,

LR

heya the possum, just chiming in to let you know I'm still on board for one in the English pattern. I'll keep checking back here for more details. I have my Rifleman's hawk about as sharp and pretty as it's ever gonna get... kinda itching to start in on another one :)

If you are still looking for partners, I'm in for two of the english pattern as in the pic above...

Rick

I heard back from Tim at R E Davis today. He said:

"It will be fine if all the guys send their money to me. Please have them send $35.00 to me for the head and shipping & handling. Also tell the guys to specify the 6150 "special order"."

So, there it is. Send in your orders, specially marked for the 6150 steel English pipe hawk head, with 35 bucks, directly to the R.E. Davis Company. You can find their contact info on their website. I suppose if you want a handle or something else thrown in with your order, you'll have to make arrangements with them directly.

Just to be clear, I am in no way affiliated with this company.

I believe at last count we had plenty more than enough for a minimum order. Besides myself,

akmike
Redsnake1997
Gibsonfan
t1mpani
Nessmuke
Rocketmann (1 or 2 heads?)
Liam Ryan (2 heads)
HSS Forge (2 heads)

all expressed serious interest, for a total of 11 or 12 heads.

I'll try contacting each of you via email so we all know to get our oders in. I'll mention to Tim how many orders he should be getting, so someone doesn't get left out.

I'm thinking about one as well and was gonna buy a handle from them as well as the instructional book. Does anyone know how one would go about making things like the stem/mouthpiece/cleanout plug or are their places that sell such stuff? Also what kind of tools are needed? I would really like to give this a shot but have no knowledge on it.

I'm thinking about one as well and was gonna buy a handle from them as well as the instructional book. Does anyone know how one would go about making things like the stem/mouthpiece/cleanout plug or are their places that sell such stuff? Also what kind of tools are needed? I would really like to give this a shot but have no knowledge on it.

I'm going to get a handle and that book, too. I'm hoping the book with have instructions/sources for that sort of thing, but if I find any before I get it, I'll post 'em here.

Nessmuke, Liam Ryan, and HSS Forge have opted not to recieve emails from Bladeforums, so I haven't been able to contact them. Hopefully they'll check in on this thread. Everyone else on the "serious" list should have recieved something from me, though it might be blocked as spam since it came through the bladeforums server.

Brody-
You can make things as simple or complicated as you want. Really, a tomahawk is only two parts- head and haft. Since the handle is nothing more than a wooden stick, you could shape one with only a pocketknife if you wanted to. I would personally prefer to use a draw knife, some wood rasps, and sand paper. But don't be afraid to use your imagination. You could use a very long drill bit to make the hole in the center, or I've even seen some originals where the handle was split, a groove carved down the center of each side to make the hole, and glued back together. Then a smaller drill bit would be used make a smaller hole extending from the bottom of the pipe bowl to meet the hole in the center of the handle.

You don't need a fancy stem or mouthpiece at the end of the handle, if that would give you trouble to make. The end of the wood can just be carved a bit flatter for comfort. Take a look through some of the pictures on this site for some ideas. (LOTS of great stuff pictured there!) The "clean out plug" can just be a small scrap of wood, or bone, or metal, or whatever, stuffed in the end of the hole to seal it. You can make it easily removable or semi-permanent. If you don't actually smoke it much, you won't have any real reason to clean it out, which can still be done from the mouthpiece end with a long wire or something anyway. I do smoke a pipe myself, and this area can get clogged with nasty "tar" from smoking. (that's why they make "pipe cleaners".)

If you have more questions, maybe we could start another thread on that subject.

hmm, so with a pre drilled handle I could probably just carve the end of it a little slimmer and carve a piece of wood for the plug and have a functional pipe. I smoke an occasional pipe and cigar myself so would want it to be functional so I suppose I would use pipe cleaners to clean it out, I have some lying around. Then the only trouble I could forsee would be that if I stained the handle it may not be wise to be putting my mouth on it, not sure if that stuffs toxic. I think i'm gonna give it a shot, whats the deadline for the order? Thinking about picking up one in the 6150 as well as a pre drilled handle and the book.

Rick-
No sweat. I just wanted to make sure you knew about the latest developments.

Brody-
We haven't actually set any sort of official deadline yet. Considering Tim said it would probably take two months to have them made, we might even be able to squeeze in orders after Tim has given the order to the foundry. But of course, the sooner the better.

I know this is going to sound lame, but I don't have the time or place to put one of these together.
Is there anyone that can put one together for me at a reasonable price?

It seems nobody here was interested in doing one for me so I contacted Tim from RE Davis to see if he had someone to suggest for a finished hawk. He pointed me to Steve Caudill of Winchester, KY who does reeactments and gets a lot of hawk heads from Tim.

Steve was kind enought to send me some pics and I thought the price was very reasonable so I ordered one from him. I'll probably post some pics with a review after I get it.

I'll send in my check for 2 heads, what the heck. I picked up two curly maple drilled handles from Rade Hawkins this weekend and I have a hickory one that I have drilled myself. Not sure what will go on what. Thanks

Howdy,

Just discovered this thread -- sounds great. Can I get in on this order too?

-Kid

edit: BTW, has anyone found someone to do the HT?

Phil-
Glad to hear you found someone. Really I would have liked to offer, but it will probably be halfway through 2007 before I even get to start on my own!

Waco Kid-
Go right on ahead! There's nothing exclusive about this. I hope you're not too late, 'cause I haven't mailed in my own order yet! And that would mean I'm too late too.

I haven't personally tried to find someone for the heat treating yet, but if anyone else has a good lead feel free to pass it along.

Allright, I just emailed my order -- went ahead and got the 22" Curly Maple Handle too.

Now the waiting begins...

-Kid

I'm going to get this kit, with the 6150 steel head: http://www.redaviscompany.com/0497.html
Just got off the phone with Tim from REDavis and he told me the price of the kit is the same :) He said he's just waiting for the heads to be cast, he expects them in 2-3 weeks. BTW he was very friendly and helpful. Sending my order out today! heheheh I'm all excited like a kid at Xmas...

Tim also said he's working on updating the website with more details, etc... should be cool.

I just noticed this, I dont think he ships to Canada. Would someone be able to ship it on my buck from their place in the states on up here to the great white north for me? I will probably be getting just one head and an 18'' curly maple handle.

thanks guys

Back