Anyone know what this is?

DCFree

Gold Member
I want to apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. I’m an avid knife enthusiast and have a number of folding and fixed blades, but only recently went down the rabbit hole of traditional knives which I have greatly enjoyed but there are so many variations and nuances I fear I am a bit lost. I just got this knife in the mail from a very reputable online retailer. It’s my first slipjoint and I love it. My question is I can’t figure out the background of the knife. It was made in the Northwoods Gladstone factory, I believe, but doesn’t look like a usual Northwoods. I have done a lot of research but can’t pin it down and the retailer didn’t know the history. If it helps, the packing slip says “Northwoods Gunstock Jack Single Blade” and that it is an “old knife.” One of the big satisfactions for me of knife collecting is understanding the story of the maker and the knife, and I have developed a huge reverence for Dave Shirley and an appreciation of what KSF is doing with the brand now. But I am kind of at a loss to place this knife and whether it’s a factory second or a special run or even when it was made. When I started down the folder and fixed blade path of collecting, I learned a ton from the folks on this forum and since I’m new at this aspect of collecting, I hope you’ll indulge me and would appreciate any perspective you have to offer. In any event, I’m extremely pleased to have at least broken the seal on this whole new world to me, and look forward to learning more about traditional knives and adding more pieces over time. Thanks for the help.
pSnZEtM.jpg
CTsJJHT.jpg
p6IMpIc.jpg
feSKzLB.jpg

Last edited:
It is one of the Northwoods knives made by Queen. I can’t help with a date, but I assume it was made in the first few years of this decade...or the last few years of the previous one.

Last edited:
It is one of the Northwoods knives made by Queen. I can’t help with a date, but I assume it was made in the first few years of this decade.
Thanks so much for the info Frailer. Much appreciated. I was confused as on the site I ordered it from it said it was a GEC, but much more logical that an older Queen manufacture for Northwoods. Regardless, it has very good F & F and I’m thrilled to have it. If you have recommendations on traditional knives you think I should get to know, I’m all ears. Thank you!

I can tell you it's a beauty. :thumbsup:
Than you so much Dean. I’m so new to this genre of knives. But I was captivated with it and even though couldn’t figure out what it was, bought it anyway as I love the gunstock pattern. Very happy with it and trying to figure out any history on it and let me know if you have suggestions where to go next with traditional knives. Thanks for the kind comment!

When I think about it if the steel is 1095 it's more than likely made by GEC. If it's stainless I would say made by Queen.
As far as where to go next with traditional knives, spend time using and looking and don't get in a hurry to buy. What pattern and size you like will come to you in time.

Do you know what steel it is? I got a medium stockman back in 07 or 08 with D2 that is Queen made, I would guess roughly in that time period for your as well like Frailer mentioned.

Do you know what steel it is? I got a medium stockman back in 07 or 08 with D2 that is Queen made, I would guess roughly in that time period for your as well like Frailer mentioned.
Salty I have researched this to the nth degree and can’t figure that out and it’s not marked on the blade. If I had to guess based on all I know this would be an early 2000s Queen knife. Really appreciate the help and for you taking your time to think about it.

I want to apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. I’m an avid knife enthusiast and have a number of folding and fixed blades, but only recently went down the rabbit hole of traditional knives which I have greatly enjoyed but there are so many variations and nuances I fear I am a bit lost. I just got this knife in the mail from a very reputable online retailer. It’s my first slipjoint and I love it. My question is I can’t figure out the background of the knife. It was made in the Northwoods Gladstone factory, I believe, but doesn’t look like a usual Northwoods. I have done a lot of research but can’t pin it down and the retailer didn’t know the history. If it helps, the packing slip says “Northwoods Gunstock Jack Single Blade” and that it is an “old knife.” One of the big satisfactions for me of knife collecting is understanding the story of the maker and the knife, and I have developed a huge reverence for Dave Shirley and an appreciation of what KSF is doing with the brand now. But I am kind of at a loss to place this knife and whether it’s a factory second or a special run or even when it was made. When I started down the folder and fixed blade path of collecting, I learned a ton from the folks on this forum and since I’m new at this aspect of collecting, I hope you’ll indulge me and would appreciate any perspective you have to offer. In any event, I’m extremely pleased to have at least broken the seal on this whole new world to me, and look forward to learning more about traditional knives and adding more pieces over time. Thanks for the help.
pSnZEtM.jpg
CTsJJHT.jpg
p6IMpIc.jpg
feSKzLB.jpg
There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Your knife is stunning :cool: Here's some info I found that possibly might be of some help.
"Dave Shirley owned Northwoods from around 2004 to 2009 When Derrick Bohn At KSF bought them. Dave Shirley Produced Marbles from 2001 to about 2005. That's why the Dave Shirley Northwoods had the Gladstone MC. Tang stamp . Hope this makes sense. The Northwoods with the Gladestone Stamp bring more than a Queen produced at the same time . I believe some may have been made in the Marbles Plant in Gladstone MC."
OG

There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Your knife is stunning :cool: Here's some info I found that possibly might be of some help.
"Dave Shirley owned Northwoods from around 2004 to 2009 When Derrick Bohn At KSF bought them. Dave Shirley Produced Marbles from 2001 to about 2005. That's why the Dave Shirley Northwoods had the Gladstone MC. Tang stamp . Hope this makes sense. The Northwoods with the Gladestone Stamp bring more than a Queen produced at the same time . I believe some may have been made in the Marbles Plant in Gladstone MC."
OG
That is so helpful. Dave to me is in the pantheon. Really appreciate the insight.

From what I remember, Derrick Bohn had Queen make some Northwoods, gunstock jacks. They were not carbon steel, some sort of modern steel, one of the CPM-somethings I think.

The quality of the first batch he received from Queen was so bad that he didn't want to sell them, so he did a thing where if somebody bought a certain amount of product, they got one of the gunstock jacks for free.

I think Queen had a bunch of leftover parts, because DB said, I don't want anymore, so they made knives out of them but without the NW arrowhead, but they still had the blade stamps, which is what you have here, it looks like.

Unfortunately KSF seems to have purged their old stuff off their site so you can't find this info there anymore, which is kind of annoying.

Here's a picture of one, you can see it's pretty much the same.

GEC is the maker I most purchase. So many great patterns, and a lot of great grinds and fit and finish.

I have two Queens and a pair of Shatt and Morgan File and Wire (made by queen)

I would not purchase Queen or S&M again without being able to physically handle them, or have a trusted member inspect and tell me how they were built.

GAPS, some poor, thick grinds, and inconsistent pulls.......

Broken back spring, and did I mention GAPS (and a crooked frame) and they were all GEC priced!!!!

The 2008 Forum Knife was made by Northwoods when it had a close connexion with Queen Cutlery-the 2008 knife was based on the No.26 Small Stockman frame and has Gladstone on the tang stamp.These were carbon and have the Arrow shield.After that, Nortwoods were bought up by KSF and have had most of their knives made by GEC.

Just test it for carbon by cutting acid fruit, if it colours you can polish it bright again with no problem.

From what I remember, Derrick Bohn had Queen make some Northwoods, gunstock jacks. They were not carbon steel, some sort of modern steel, one of the CPM-somethings I think.

The quality of the first batch he received from Queen was so bad that he didn't want to sell them, so he did a thing where if somebody bought a certain amount of product, they got one of the gunstock jacks for free.

I think Queen had a bunch of leftover parts, because DB said, I don't want anymore, so they made knives out of them but without the NW arrowhead, but they still had the blade stamps, which is what you have here, it looks like.

Unfortunately KSF seems to have purged their old stuff off their site so you can't find this info there anymore, which is kind of annoying.

Here's a picture of one, you can see it's pretty much the same.

Thanks so much for the info, and I had found that info doing research and assumed that was the origin of my knife. Then, I found some info that GEC had done a small run of #44 gunstock jacks in 2018. But I think your scenario makes the most sense and it likely is a queen knife from the remnants of that promotion. Thanks so much for the help. And I will count myself fortunate that I must have gotten a knife from a good batch as the F and F seems to very good on this example. Love your knife. It’s stunning!

The 2008 Forum Knife was made by Northwoods when it had a close connexion with Queen Cutlery-the 2008 knife was based on the No.26 Small Stockman frame and has Gladstone on the tang stamp.These were carbon and have the Arrow shield.After that, Nortwoods were bought up by KSF and have had most of their knives made by GEC.

Just test it for carbon by cutting acid fruit, if it colours you can polish it bright again with no problem.
Appreciate it Will! Will start slicing away to find out!

GEC is the maker I most purchase. So many great patterns, and a lot of great grinds and fit and finish.

I have two Queens and a pair of Shatt and Morgan File and Wire (made by queen)

I would not purchase Queen or S&M again without being able to physically handle them, or have a trusted member inspect and tell me how they were built.

GAPS, some poor, thick grinds, and inconsistent pulls.......

Broken back spring, and did I mention GAPS (and a crooked frame) and they were all GEC priced!!!!
Thanks for the perspective Big! I had read similar about the inconsistent quality but must have gotten lucky on this knife as the pull is good, the back spring sits flush at every position, blade is centered, and the only real “flaw” I can find is a small gap on one handle. In any event, I had my eyes wide open when I bought it and I’m happy with it and you have to start somewhere. In fact, as someone who has a lot of other knives but this is my first traditional, I’m shockingly so happy with it that it will be displacing all the other knives in my rotation. I wasn’t quite prepared for the great “connected” feeling a traditional blade would elicit. Thank you for your help!

Back