Anyone knows what's happening with Al Mar Knives?

Hi all,

I have been scouring the Internet regarding information on Al-Mar and I can hardly find a thing.

It has been said that they have been acquired by Edge Technologies Engineering LLC

https://sgbonline.com/edge-technologies-acquires-al-mar-knife-brand/
https://sgbonline.com/aisle-talk-week-of-january-14/

I was expecting to see something new at Shot Show 2019 owing to the fact that it will be the company's 40th anniversary yet there was absolutely nothing.

I haven't seen a new model in years and in spite of the copyright being renewed this year on their website, it hasn't been updated since who knows when (still displaying the SERT when it has been discontinued for a long while now)

It also looks like knives selling websites are being more and more out of stock, especially cutlery shoppe which used to have exclusives and all.

It 's also not the lawsuit involving Ann Mar and Gary Fadden as the judgement has been passed on 11/22/2010 according to the Oregon Circuit Court archives and Ann Mar sadly passed away in 2017 according to Nemesis Knives:

https://www.nemesis-knives.com/mpr-series/

In other word does anyone have substantiated news of either new models or what direction Edge Technologies will be taking regarding Al-Mar?

Is ETE behind the Chinese Brous blades? I can't actually find any of their branded knives for sale anywhere, but it looks like a lot if "D2" and 8cr stuff aimed at the tacticool crowd.

I'm not excited for Al Mar. Maybe they'll prove me wrong though.

Apparently, they were showing off a reintroduced Quest model at SHOT -
Screen-Shot-2019-01-30-at-3.45.11-AM.png

That's all I could find a few days ago. Could be great or could turn out horribly, who knows?

any recommendations for the "quintessential al mar folder" for someone who hasn't had one and wants to pick one up before the change over?

I've wanted a Falcon Talon for quite awhile but the scarcity has driven up the price to more than I'm willing to pay for AUS-8 steel.
I think of the Ultralights as "quintessential" Al Mar.
They did partner with Kershaw a year or two ago to make those flippers and they seem popular. Of course those are made in China rather than Seki City.

I've wanted a Falcon Talon for quite awhile but the scarcity has driven up the price to more than I'm willing to pay for AUS-8 steel.
I think of the Ultralights as "quintessential" Al Mar.
They did partner with Kershaw a year or two ago to make those flippers and they seem popular. Of course those are made in China rather than Seki City.
Aus-8 always held me back too when I have seen them, but thinking I might pick one up anyway given the history and reverence there.

Is ETE behind the Chinese Brous blades? I can't actually find any of their branded knives for sale anywhere, but it looks like a lot if "D2" and 8cr stuff aimed at the tacticool crowd.

I'm not excited for Al Mar. Maybe they'll prove me wrong though.

On a plus side: Al Mar knives always were produced by Japanese companies. It is a company that lives off Al Mar's legacy and they have more or less stuck to what he created 20 years ago. Al Mar is known for old school designs and great craftmanship. I don't think the new owners are willing to ruin this by bringing out some random tacticool china knives and putting the Al Mar logo on them.

I don't know anything but what I read in this thread but I could imagine that the owner of Al Mar knives had to "pay out" the Ann Mar's heirs after the judgement and therefor had to sell the company.

Maybe we will finally see some new cool designs. But I also hope and firmly believe that there still will be old school Japanese made Al Mar knives as well.

The Edge Technologies website, looks like a catalog for Chinese made stuff that used to be under the "Timberline" brand....

I love 80's style knives so Al-Mar has been on my radar for a while. But here in Canada they just are not affordable. For example a Sere 2000 is close to $500 cad! I would rather pay the extra and get a CRK or top of the line Spyderco.

I'm glad a snagged a Sere 2000 some years ago. I can't remember where I got it, lol. I'm too cheap to pay $200. I probably got it on a trade, plus $ here on BF.

I would love to have an Eagle lightweight, and an Eagle HD. They are too much $ for what you get, and NEVER go 'on sale'.

Nemesis Knives is releasing some previously unreleased Al Mar designs under their Mar Private Reserve line. I have the MPR-1 and it's a decent knife, although a little rough around the edges. Their newest release, the MPR-3, has a kind of SERE 2000 vibe going with better steel. I think I want one.
mpr-3-v2.jpg

I hope Nemesis keeps the designs coming. They're kind of keeping the Mar style alive.

My two Al Mars are in vg-10 and ZDP 189, I also saw few websites that still have some Al Mars in stock

Maybe Taylor Brands can buy up the rights to the old Al Mar designs and sell them next to the old Schrade designs?

any recommendations for the "quintessential al mar folder" for someone who hasn't had one andwants to pick one up before the change over?
The Ultra Light Falcon and Eagle in sabre grind are my favorites.--KV

Back