Anyone knows what's happening with Al Mar Knives?

It’s a Hawk Ultralight - I believe the model# for that particular version is 1002UBK2

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much JAB.

I don;t know if it's appropriate to ask here the approximate value - even as a Gold Member, but I will do some research and try to come up with a fair price for it.

Thanks again.

Thank you so much JAB.

I don;t know if it's appropriate to ask here the approximate value - even as a Gold Member, but I will do some research and try to come up with a fair price for it.

Thanks again.

Gold has its privileges. It’s fine to ask. If I was selling one, I’d ask about a bill and a half. YMMV.

Though I've had a few over the years - and sadly sold them not knowing, as I do today, what I really had, I do have one small Al Mar knife left and was curious as to what model it is. I will likely offer it for sale once I know more about it, and please forgive me if this isn't the place to ask - but given the brain trust of Al Mar followers in this thread, the wealth of knowledge was just too much to resist.

I bought it years ago at a show, from Gary Fadden and never used or carried it. It is marked, "AUS-8 MOKI/JAPAN"

View attachment 1383666 View attachment 1383667 View attachment 1383668

Al Mar Hawk Ultralight

The thumb studs shows that it is an older model from the 80's/90's

You'll find a review below

https://www.everydaycommentary.com/.../08/al-mar-knives-hawk-ultralight-review.html

This thread needs more pics

I am no expert on the whole Al Mar history but IMHO the best Al Mar knives were made in the 1980’s - early 90’s. Typical markings were red CHOP logo (some had gold which faded quicker) SEKI JAPAN, AUS-8 steel, bronze liners and fittings (occasionally bronze bolsters) with the “green” micarta that looks more brown. The special forces logo was also a nice touch

View attachment 1384894 View attachment 1384893
View attachment 1384892 View attachment 1384891

my favorite folder, the BUZZARD with white micarta and delicious patina

View attachment 1384890

what's happening

nothing special
usual every year stuff
they went chinese Road into void ...

many was there, none returned yet

I understand that people are worried about knife production in China but their are examples of great quality coming from the country:

- When IBM sold its laptop division to Lenovo we all got scared but Lenovo's Thinkpad are still fantastic laptop
- I wanted to add Foxconn but that's actually Taiwan

Also in the 60's Made in Japan was synonymous with cheap quality (speaking about industrial production there) yet we would be remiss to think this way nowadays.

The man who literally taught me how to shoot once told me something very true. The Chinese can produce in any quality you want, it all depends on how much you are willing to pay.

Last but not least, Nemesis Knives who produce the Mar Private Reserve knives have their production made in China...

Soooo maybe there is hope.

I am happy about the AUS-8 for the classical raptor knives (especially if prices are divided by two for the same manufacturing quality) as well as the Damasteel but not too happy about the D2 steel idea, I really wished for ZDP-189 I guess things such as steel choice or my opinion can change in the future... :)

Hello Boud,
I don't agree with your saying of "Chinese can produce in any quality you want."
I have been using IBM computers for 30 years.
IBM used to have the longest five years guaranty for computers, but the reason I got a new one was that the CPU was too slow for a new system.
I only brought my computer to their service center once before they sold the company to Lenovo in 2005.
As I remembered that I was the only person who was waiting for testing and a quote if it needed a repair or some adjustment, but after I bought a new one with some parts made in China, it was not happy and soon decided not to work for me.
I brought it to the service center to see if it lost appetite.
Do you know how many customers were waiting for service?
It was crowded and I guessed more than 100 were waiting for the queue to be called.
This is the Chinese quality you mentioned.
It took me three hours to wait for changing a new ROM and extra traveling time to get my computer fixed.
I am not telling a lie.
We all know China is the top one raw steel production country, but they don't know much about metallurgy.
Their knives are badly heat-treated or not heat-treated at all.
Do you collect China made knives? I don't but I use them to do throwing, skinning, trapping, opening cardboard box,
wood cutting, gardening, and even opening canned goods.
I expressed my gratitude when they could not offer any service at the end of their life span.
They have many uses and I like them, but I don't collect them.
I am a good storyteller.
I can tell you a lot of stories about Chinese knives.

Hello Boud,
I don't agree with your saying of "Chinese can produce in any quality you want."
I have been using IBM computers for 30 years.
IBM used to have the longest five years guaranty for computers, but the reason I got a new one was that the CPU was too slow for a new system.
I only brought my computer to their service center once before they sold the company to Lenovo in 2005.
As I remembered that I was the only person who was waiting for testing and a quote if it needed a repair or some adjustment, but after I bought a new one with some parts made in China, it was not happy and soon decided not to work for me.
I brought it to the service center to see if it lost appetite.
Do you know how many customers were waiting for service?
It was crowded and I guessed more than 100 were waiting for the queue to be called.
This is the Chinese quality you mentioned.
It took me three hours to wait for changing a new ROM and extra traveling time to get my computer fixed.
I am not telling a lie.
We all know China is the top one raw steel production country, but they don't know much about metallurgy.
Their knives are badly heat-treated or not heat-treated at all.
Do you collect China made knives? I don't but I use them to do throwing, skinning, trapping, opening cardboard box,
wood cutting, gardening, and even opening canned goods.
I expressed my gratitude when they could not offer any service at the end of their life span.
They have many uses and I like them, but I don't collect them.
I am a good storyteller.
I can tell you a lot of stories about Chinese knives.
Except many people here, myself included, have knives made in China that are excellent quality. I And computers are not knives, some of the knife companies in China make knives because it's their passion, not just for the paycheck. It's almost as if people can have the same hobbies and interests, regardless of their nationality.

Reactions: AF
Except many people here, myself included, have knives made in China that are excellent quality. I And computers are not knives, some of the knife companies in China make knives because it's their passion, not just for the paycheck. It's almost as if people can have the same hobbies and interests, regardless of their nationality.

1. I can’t remember the last time I was truly impressed with a Chinese knife.
2. When manufacturing is moved from Japan or the US or just about anywhere to China, quality suffers.

1. I can’t remember the last time I was truly impressed with a Chinese knife.
2. When manufacturing is moved from Japan or the US or just about anywhere to China, quality suffers.
I only have two, but they are both very nice. I'm not talking about manufacturing being moved to China, I'm talking about the companies that are making their own things there, like WE and Reate.

Anyone who loved the old Japanese made Al Mar Knives should look at Moki, who are the original producers of Japanese Al Mar designs and made in Seki City. Fantastic fit and finish on Moki.

I wouldn't give any of my money to the current Al Mar company, which is owned by a man who financially deceived Al Mar's wife and left her fighting for her rightful earnings as a part owner in court until she died. The court application below:

http://www.faddenmarlawsuit.com

Last edited:
Anyone who loved the old Japanese made Al Mar Knives should look at Moki, who are the original producers of Japanese Al Mar designs and made in Seki City. Fantastic fit and finish on Moki.

I wouldn't give any of my money to the current Al Mar company, which is owned by a man who financially deceived Al Mar's wife and left her fighting for her rightful earnings as a part owner in court until she died. The court application below:

You are wrong about the current owner of Al Mar. Fadden sold it to another company a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the Moki recommendation. The Kronos is a beautiful knife. I love traditional knives and I’m gonna have to pick one of the stag bone versions up

The original maker of Al Mar knives was G.Sakai in Seki. Al Mar visited them back in the mid 70s as the design head for Gerber who contracted the Silver Knight folder. The relationship continued all throughout Al Mar Knives' history until Fadden took control. He tried to renegotiate the contract that Al Mar had with the Sakai family for decades. When they refused Fadden terminated the agreement and turned to Moki, also in Seki.

That would be welcome news. Any source?
I can't remember the name of the company but John Anthon, formally of Timberline knives, runs the Al Mar part of the group. They were set up at SHOT 2020 and I went out to dinner with John and Steve Barlow (Knives Illustrated). The change happened at least 2 maybe 3 years ago. Folks here were not happy the line was now going to be made in China.

I can't remember the name of the company but John Anthon, formally of Timberline knives, runs the Al Mar part of the group. They were set up at SHOT 2020 and I went out to dinner with John and Steve Barlow (Knives Illustrated). The change happened at least 2 maybe 3 years ago. Folks here were not happy the line was now going to be made in China.

ETE - Edge Technologies E (Something). They've got the Al Mar and a few of the old Timberline designs sold under the ETE Label.

Edit - Edge Technologies Engineering - https://www.ete1.com/ .

Back