Anyone knows what's happening with Al Mar Knives?

The two companies I know that made them are G. Sakai and then Moki.
I’m not sure which one is Seki. Maybe both.

Also all the Sere 2000’s have G10 handles and VG10 blades.

Both are long established Seki Knife makers.

G.Sakai
2081 Shitsuno, Seki City, Gifu Prefecture, Japan

Moki Knife Co. Ltd.
15 Higashi Senbou, Seki City, Gifu Prefecture, Japan

Ha! That’s pretty cool damn cool to me!

I appreciate it, and yes my Sere has been well used and enjoyed for a long time. The thing just oozes character. I hope you enjoy yours.
Thanks man, I’ll let you know. :)

Both are long established Seki Knife makers.

G.Sakai
2081 Shitsuno, Seki City, Gifu Prefecture, Japan

Moki Knife Co. Ltd.
15 Higashi Senbou, Seki City, Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Thank you! :)

I guess AntDog’s is G. Sakai and mine will be Moki. Thanks for clarifying, mate.

Let us know how the fit and finish is once you get it.
Well, picked it up today. The fit & finish are absolutely bang on. Perfect grind, perfect cantering, perfect lockup. Very beautiful knife indeed - I have no regrets. Very much hope that the move from Seiki to China will not be to the detriment of Al Mar. We all know that the high end Chinese knive producers can do a great job, so time will tell.

I’m glad you like it! Tang is stamped “Moki”?

I got the Tops/Al Mar Mini Sere Operator and I like it. The construction, fit and finish is just as good as any Tops knife I’ve handled. The handle fits my hand well and the blade is well suited to both piercing and slicing.

The one I have would not be my first choice for bushcraft type tasks - the swedge is very sharp.

I’m glad you like it! Tang is stamped “Moki”?

I got the Tops/Al Mar Mini Sere Operator and I like it. The construction, fit and finish is just as good as any Tops knife I’ve handled. The handle fits my hand well and the blade is well suited to both piercing and slicing.

The one I have would not be my first choice for bushcraft type tasks - the swedge is very sharp.
Tang is stamped ‘VG10 FM Co/Japan’. As far as I know it is by Moki. :)

Well, picked it up today. The fit & finish are absolutely bang on. Perfect grind, perfect cantering, perfect lockup. Very beautiful knife indeed - I have no regrets. Very much hope that the move from Seiki to China will not be to the detriment of Al Mar. We all know that the high end Chinese knive producers can do a great job, so time will tell.
Al Mar knives is essentially dead in the water. The company that purchased them didn’t show at Blade 2023… ending a decades old tradition.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have been scouring the Internet regarding information on Al-Mar and I can hardly find a thing.

It has been said that they have been acquired by Edge Technologies Engineering LLC

https://sgbonline.com/edge-technologies-acquires-al-mar-knife-brand/
https://sgbonline.com/aisle-talk-week-of-january-14/

I was expecting to see something new at Shot Show 2019 owing to the fact that it will be the company's 40th anniversary yet there was absolutely nothing.

I haven't seen a new model in years and in spite of the copyright being renewed this year on their website, it hasn't been updated since who knows when (still displaying the SERT when it has been discontinued for a long while now)

It also looks like knives selling websites are being more and more out of stock, especially cutlery shoppe which used to have exclusives and all.

It 's also not the lawsuit involving Ann Mar and Gary Fadden as the judgement has been passed on 11/22/2010 according to the Oregon Circuit Court archives and Ann Mar sadly passed away in 2017 according to Nemesis Knives:

https://www.nemesis-knives.com/mpr-series/

In other word does anyone have substantiated news of either new models or what direction Edge Technologies will be taking regarding Al-Mar?
Al Mar Knives was purchased by a great company in South Carolina, PTP. I've personally had my hands on some of the new knives, they are unbelievable in quality, fit and finish. Full disclosure, I do not work nor get paid by the company. I just happen to be a good friend of Gary and one of his Mastersmith knife designers, Kirk Rexroat. They are also making the benchmark knives with bearing systems and a few are being upgraded to the flippers with bearings. I've been an Al Mar Knives collector for over 20 years and am personal friends with the former CEO, Gary Fadden. Now that SHOT Show has come and gone and they've made the union public knowledge, I feel comfortable letting my little bit of knowledge out in the open. When I had the opportunity to preview the new SERE and Mini SERE I compared them to several NIB renditions of the Japanese manufactured ones I have. I will tell you that they are absolutely smooth as butter and beautiful in function. What's even more appealing are the price points being significantly more affordable. They are bringing back older models with new upgrades and appearance improvements. I've seen a few of their Damasteel models and they are going to be a hot commodity. I hear a rumor that an Eagle Ultralight is going to be introduced as a bearing knife and quite possible a flipper. I don't know this for fact...just rumor mill. As an Al Mar Collector I feel my collection is just as desired now as it has ever been. I also feel that the new company brain trust is blazing a trail that will keep Al Mar Knives in business for another 40 years.

Reactions: AF
I also got a chance to examine the new Al Mar knives, and I liked what I saw. As HawkPilotUSA mentioned, Al Mar displayed classic designs with a modern twist. I saw the Stinger in various color accents, new takes on the Eagle & Falcon as well as the big pathfinder & quest fixed blades shown earlier in this thread. The grinds and fit & finish on the displayed models looked really nice. Definitely reminiscent of the vintage knives. I'm curious to see them reach the market. I'll try out a stinger for sure, and hope the production model will turn out as good as the displayed knives.

Are they made in South Carolina?

Al Mar Knives was purchased by a great company in South Carolina, PTP. I've personally had my hands on some of the new knives, they are unbelievable in quality, fit and finish. Full disclosure, I do not work nor get paid by the company. I just happen to be a good friend of Gary and one of his Mastersmith knife designers, Kirk Rexroat. They are also making the benchmark knives with bearing systems and a few are being upgraded to the flippers with bearings. I've been an Al Mar Knives collector for over 20 years and am personal friends with the former CEO, Gary Fadden. Now that SHOT Show has come and gone and they've made the union public knowledge, I feel comfortable letting my little bit of knowledge out in the open. When I had the opportunity to preview the new SERE and Mini SERE I compared them to several NIB renditions of the Japanese manufactured ones I have. I will tell you that they are absolutely smooth as butter and beautiful in function. What's even more appealing are the price points being significantly more affordable. They are bringing back older models with new upgrades and appearance improvements. I've seen a few of their Damasteel models and they are going to be a hot commodity. I hear a rumor that an Eagle Ultralight is going to be introduced as a bearing knife and quite possible a flipper. I don't know this for fact...just rumor mill. As an Al Mar Collector I feel my collection is just as desired now as it has ever been. I also feel that the new company brain trust is blazing a trail that will keep Al Mar Knives in business for another 40 years.

Please tell me they are not going to have the Sere folders made in China.

Please tell me they are not going to have the Sere folders made in China.

Seems like they will be made in China.
The new models are "claimed" as good as the Seki ones...but will be significantly cheaper.
Pretty much the same pattern that other American knife companies have followed over the past couple of decades.

PS- Maybe it's just me, but I don't know how Al Mar who served in Vietnam would feel about the knives bearing his name being made in China.

Apparently, they were showing off a reintroduced Quest model at SHOT -
Screen-Shot-2019-01-30-at-3.45.11-AM.png

That's all I could find a few days ago. Could be great or could turn out horribly, who knows?
Her name tag is blurry, but if she is a rep for Al Mar at Shot, it looks like she is wearing a Spyderco knife out in plain sight.

Moving production from Japan seems inevitable with the rising cost of production there. Spyderco is having to move away from Japan too except for their FRN models. China has proven it can build knives as well as anywhere in the world. Of course it depends on the manufacturer.
Al Mar has to change with the times.

I can live with WE or Rike making Al Mars. Don't know if they will be up to G Saki or Al Mar standards, but they make quality and the alternative is lower quality or nothing.

any recommendations for the "quintessential al mar folder" for someone who hasn't had one and wants to pick one up before the change over?
Look for a SERE 2000. It is the best balanced tactical folder with the smoothest action I have ever encountered from anyone. It is the only Al Mar knife I have purchased personally.

Are there any pics anywhere of these new Chinese Sere 2000’s? Or any other info about them?

Back