Anyone knows what's happening with Al Mar Knives?

Please tell me they are not going to have the Sere folders made in China.
I don’t know what knives they decided to make in China, not in my lane as friend. I can state that the prototype SERE 2000 and Mini SERE flippers were manufactured in China..so I would assume with a defree of deductive logic- that they are going to be made in China. If I find later that I’m wrong, I will post an update. Side by side they absolutely rivaled the Japanese models. I was told the price points are going to be very reasonable.

I don’t know what knives they decided to make in China, not in my lane as friend. I can state that the prototype SERE 2000 and Mini SERE flippers were manufactured in China..so I would assume with a defree of deductive logic- that they are going to be made in China. If I find later that I’m wrong, I will post an update. Side by side they absolutely rivaled the Japanese models. I was told the price points are going to be very reasonable.

Were they pretty much exact copies? Also were the thumb studs the same style?

What was the blade steel?

Thanks.

Were they pretty much exact copies? Also were the thumb studs the same style?

What was the blade steel?

Thanks.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. That’s pretty much exactly what I was going to ask. Depending on the steel and price, I’ll most likely try one.

If they use a bunk steel I’ll be sorely disappointed and I won’t be buying one. No point. The VG-10 in the Sere 2K I have is just fine with me, so I’m hoping they use that or better.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. That’s pretty much exactly what I was going to ask. Depending on the steel and price, I’ll most likely try one.

If they use a bunk steel I’ll be sorely disappointed and I won’t be buying one. No point. The VG-10 in the Sere 2K I have is just fine with me, so I’m hoping they use that or better.

I love the Sere 2000 thumb studs. They are really unique.

I love the Sere 2000 thumb studs. They are really unique.

I do too. I always “dehorn” the one facing my right thumb but leave the other side alone. I think they look super cool.

I lost my original one long ago and had to write to Al Mar for a replacement. It took a few months and a few times bugging them with emails but they did send one.

I'm so sad reading all of this. Al Mar was an iconic name when I was 15 in the 90's, the SERE was my Grail (along with Buck 110). Back then I didn't have the money, or even access to them in Europe. Now that I could get one, they are not what I want anymore.

I'm so sad reading all of this. Al Mar was an iconic name when I was 15 in the 90's, the SERE was my Grail (along with Buck 110). Back then I didn't have the money, or even access to them in Europe. Now that I could get one, they are not what I want anymore.
There are still some Japanese SERE’s around. I got one after reading this thread, thanks to AntDog AntDog and a few others. ;)

Gotta say, it isn’t just a ‘tactical’ folder, although I can see it would excel as a fighting knife. I’ve been really enjoying just using it! And there ain’t nothing wrong with Seki VG10. :)

Signed,

The Enabler. :D

EDIT: FullMetalJackass FullMetalJackass I live in the UK, which is still in the EU for another few weeks, and the price very, very steep. However, as an enthusiast and collector, the SERE 2000 is an iconic knife. I have no regrets and lots of happiness having bit the bullet and bought it. It’s a knife for life.

Last edited:
We’re at the end of 2019. I guess the new Al Mar wants to get their knives right and not disappoint and not release anything new in their 40th year. Will wait while also try to score me an ultralight and a mini sere from Japan for now

Five models? And, with the arguable exception of the entirely revamped Quicksilver, not a new design among them!

This really saddens me. I pulled a photo off of the Internet just to contrast what is with what used to be.

IMG-6967.jpg

The knives in this picture don't even represent a tenth of the number of models AMK offered over the years. I believe Al Mar would be embarrassed by what has become of his company.

-Steve

They will be displaying at SHOT this year. I personally like several of those new models. For better or worse, China is the future. Japan's day has passed as a cutlery maker. Most of us can also remember when lots of people proudly claimed "I would never carry a Japanese made knife!"

Back