Anyone like driving?

Haven't seen too many vehicle threads on here.

Anyone into cars or trucks?

Share your other passions here!

7oj0bj1.jpg

The OP said "share your other passions here", LEGION 12 posted a red herring (though an enjoyable one) to distract from the fact that he has a hidden passion, BAKED BACON! :eek: Mine, by the way, happens to be swords (I apologize for no pics :oops:), and properly cooked bacon. ;)

Just got this in October.

Mo7PuG9.jpg

I like it and it has a good engine with paddle shift but the car is too heavy despite good engine. (Abit too heavy for its engine, I like light cars)

Honestly I am kind of not in love with all the features of a modern car. If I take my damn seatbelt off to unzip my jacket when I pull into the garage the car will start beeping loudly incessantly.

Overall I enjoy it though.

Just got this in October.

Mo7PuG9.jpg

I like it and it has a good engine with paddle shift but the car is too heavy despite good engine. (Abit too heavy for its engine, I like light cars)

Honestly I am kind of not in love with all the features of a modern car. If I take my damn seatbelt off to unzip my jacket when I pull into the garage the car will start beeping loudly incessantly.

Overall I enjoy it though.

Used to own it's predecessor... had an '03 IS300. Which was a perfect balance of motor for the car. That straight-6 2jz was a phenomenal motor (its reputation is well known), and my car was the 5-speed manual, so it made it a proper drivers car. Everything you've ever heard about the original IS's is true - it was a 3-series killer in its day. It's a shame Lexus messed up the 2nd gen of the car.

Really miss mine. But time marches on, and priorities change.

CtmA3OI.jpg

Used to own it's predecessor... had an '03 IS300. Which was a perfect balance of motor for the car. That straight-6 2jz was a phenomenal motor (its reputation is well known), and my car was the 5-speed manual, so it made it a proper drivers car. Everything you've ever heard about the original IS's is true - it was a 3-series killer in its day. It's a shame Lexus messed up the 2nd gen of the car.

Really miss mine. But time marches on, and priorities change.

CtmA3OI.jpg

Awesome car dude! That older IS was one of my dream cars when I was younger. I love the older generation of Japanese cars. We didn’t have the Toyota Altezza here in North America, we had the IS.

My IS300 is the 3rd gen where they made it even heavier than the second gen. The paddle shift is ok but you can’t ride the clutch at all and if you shift it into neutral then to shift it back to paddle shift you pass through the drive setting which will put your car into a weird gear.

I was thinking of saying eff it and finally getting a Subaru but turns out they don’t make manual anymore and they have CVT transmissions. However Subaru is the only car company that has the “million mile club” so maybe I’ll get an older one. I don’t love what’s happened to the Mitsubisi Lancer either but the Subaru was always the better car.

Lexus has a new hybrid hatchback I will test drive. Don’t laugh at me ok because obviously you threw up in your mouth when I said hybrid hatchback but check it out.

UX250h It looks small and light
LlhG6FH.jpg

I don’t love these stupid grills
30lMr3i.jpg

mYYMqBg.jpg

Big respect on your IS man great choice! I’ve already become a guy that says “just don’t make em like they used to.”

The IS was fun. Hell of a car for track days. Would have preferred Lexus had put the 6-speed gearbox from the MK-III Supra in it, as the 5-speed wasn't all that special, and the clutch was felt a bit disconnected, but at least I had one of the few unmolested 3-pedal IS-300s out there.

I've been lucky enough to have owned some really amazing cars, at all 'reasonable' price points. Some of the highlights:
- 88 Honda CRX Si - owned it in my mid 20's and built a track day/autocross weapon out of it. Full coilovers at all four corners, intake/header/catback, beafier injectors and fuel rail, sticky Kumhos at for shoes, an aggressivly reground cam, and a bunch of other little things. Car was super quick, handled like go-kart, and sounded like a pissed off hornets nest. Only made about 120hp at the front wheels, but I had the weight down to about 1800 lbs. Didn't have a top speed of more than about 130 (downhill with a tailwind) but stoplight to stoplight, or on a tight, twisty road, nothing could touch it. Unfortunately, no digital pics exist of this car.

- 02 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV - Wife and I bought this as our first brand new car. This was quite a sleeper for it's day. Big 2.5 inline-4 (much less common back then) Nismo tuned suspension, and an extremely sweet Getrag 6-speed. 180 hp and 180 ft/lb of torque propelled the car pretty good, and was best in class in 2002. Best part was, as it was a 4 door sedan, it was a bit of a sleeper, unless you knew what to look for. It handled surprisingly well for its size and weight (was also the heaviest of all the performance compacts). It's only major downfall was excessive torque-steer. My wife used it as a DD, while I took the CRX as a DD because it was barely streetable in its track configuration. Unfortunately, no pics of the SpecV either.

- 95 Miata 'R' - this replaced the CRX when PA winters finally took their toll on the Honda's wheel wells. As small sports cars go, the Miata was the total opposite of the CRX. It was poised and gracefull to drive, and damn near refined by comparison. It really rewarded smooth throttle and steering inputs, and could make even the average driver look like a hero on a twisty road. Power output was low, but you never had to get out of the throttle much when hot-shoeing it, instead just modulating power through the corners. Every driving enthusiast should own a Miata at least once in their life, it's that much fun to drive. It was also my first foray into RWD sports cars, and quite frankly, might be one of my all time favorite cars to drive (haven't gone back to FWD since). Saw a lot of autocross and track day events with it. Unfortunately, I had to give it up when we had kids, since it's not really practical as a family vehicle. You'll have to excuse the pic, as it was taken after the car was backed into by my neighbors SUV.
MsrBsYK.jpg

The IS followed the Miata (we've gone over that)

- 08 BMW 335i - This was actually the wife's DD for 4 or 5 years, but my weekend toy after giving up the Lexus. Powertrain was the venerable N54 motor, which was the twin turbo, 3L straight six, and it had the sport package, which included a better tuned chassis, paddle shifted automatic, and really well bolstered seats. Also had an M-sport intake/exhaust package, and a reflashed ECU, which took it from the stock 300hp to an estimated 370 (the N54 is notoriously under rated from BMW, and really easy to open up power with very little effort). This car was a freaking rocket ship on wheels. Turn all the electronic nannies off, and you could smoke the tires off all day long, or powerslide it around a corner at any speed. On a road course, I could stick the nose deep into any corner I wanted, and then power out of the exit at warp speed. It was scary fast. Unfortunately, it just got too expensive to maintain - typical of all later model Bimmers. Wife replaced it with an 07 Mercedes c300 a nice car, but not nearly as much of a drivers car.
JZ4hT7Y.jpg

My current DD is a '15 Ram 1500. The Lexus was starting to get long in the tooth at 350k, and Pittsburgh winters were starting to eat the body (we use a ton of road salt in western PA). Plus, I needed a truck to haul and tow. Love the Hemi in it, but no more 'fun' cars for me and the wife for a while (though I'm still heavily involved in SCCA as a race official).
Pic taken on our cross country trip to the Grand Canyon last summer
qzlmKDL.jpg

My other toys have always been motorcycles. I've probably had 20 of them in the last 35 years. My first was a KX 80 when I was 10 y/o, and I've been on two wheels since. Owned every imaginable type, from dirt bikes to sport bikes, cruisers to vintage Japanese standards. My current stable consists of a 90 Kawasaki ZX-10 (affectionately known as the "Death Machine") and an 03 Kawi Mean Streak. Once some other things are taken care of, I'll be looking to add something a bit more vintage to the garage, as I want to build a proper cafe racer from a good 500-750 mid-70's UJM. Gotta invest some money into the house and kiddo's education first, so it'll be a few years.
tNnSaOV.jpg
R5nTTm0.jpg

I've had lots of cars and bikes over the years. Some noteworthy, some not so much - these are just the highlights. But very few have been boring, and very few have remained stock. I think I might have a problem.... LOL

The IS was fun. Hell of a car for track days. Would have preferred Lexus had put the 6-speed gearbox from the MK-III Supra in it, as the 5-speed wasn't all that special, and the clutch was felt a bit disconnected, but at least I had one of the few unmolested 3-pedal IS-300s out there.

I've been lucky enough to have owned some really amazing cars, at all 'reasonable' price points. Some of the highlights:
- 88 Honda CRX Si - owned it in my mid 20's and built a track day/autocross weapon out of it. Full coilovers at all four corners, intake/header/catback, beafier injectors and fuel rail, sticky Kumhos at for shoes, an aggressivly reground cam, and a bunch of other little things. Car was super quick, handled like go-kart, and sounded like a pissed off hornets nest. Only made about 120hp at the front wheels, but I had the weight down to about 1800 lbs. Didn't have a top speed of more than about 130 (downhill with a tailwind) but stoplight to stoplight, or on a tight, twisty road, nothing could touch it. Unfortunately, no digital pics exist of this car.

- 02 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV - Wife and I bought this as our first brand new car. This was quite a sleeper for it's day. Big 2.5 inline-4 (much less common back then) Nismo tuned suspension, and an extremely sweet Getrag 6-speed. 180 hp and 180 ft/lb of torque propelled the car pretty good, and was best in class in 2002. Best part was, as it was a 4 door sedan, it was a bit of a sleeper, unless you knew what to look for. It handled surprisingly well for its size and weight (was also the heaviest of all the performance compacts). It's only major downfall was excessive torque-steer. My wife used it as a DD, while I took the CRX as a DD because it was barely streetable in its track configuration. Unfortunately, no pics of the SpecV either.

- 95 Miata 'R' - this replaced the CRX when PA winters finally took their toll on the Honda's wheel wells. As small sports cars go, the Miata was the total opposite of the CRX. It was poised and gracefull to drive, and damn near refined by comparison. It really rewarded smooth throttle and steering inputs, and could make even the average driver look like a hero on a twisty road. Power output was low, but you never had to get out of the throttle much when hot-shoeing it, instead just modulating power through the corners. Every driving enthusiast should own a Miata at least once in their life, it's that much fun to drive. It was also my first foray into RWD sports cars, and quite frankly, might be one of my all time favorite cars to drive (haven't gone back to FWD since). Saw a lot of autocross and track day events with it. Unfortunately, I had to give it up when we had kids, since it's not really practical as a family vehicle. You'll have to excuse the pic, as it was taken after the car was backed into by my neighbors SUV.
MsrBsYK.jpg

The IS followed the Miata (we've gone over that)

- 08 BMW 335i - This was actually the wife's DD for 4 or 5 years, but my weekend toy after giving up the Lexus. Powertrain was the venerable N54 motor, which was the twin turbo, 3L straight six, and it had the sport package, which included a better tuned chassis, paddle shifted automatic, and really well bolstered seats. Also had an M-sport intake/exhaust package, and a reflashed ECU, which took it from the stock 300hp to an estimated 370 (the N54 is notoriously under rated from BMW, and really easy to open up power with very little effort). This car was a freaking rocket ship on wheels. Turn all the electronic nannies off, and you could smoke the tires off all day long, or powerslide it around a corner at any speed. On a road course, I could stick the nose deep into any corner I wanted, and then power out of the exit at warp speed. It was scary fast. Unfortunately, it just got too expensive to maintain - typical of all later model Bimmers. Wife replaced it with an 07 Mercedes c300 a nice car, but not nearly as much of a drivers car.
JZ4hT7Y.jpg

My current DD is a '15 Ram 1500. The Lexus was starting to get long in the tooth at 350k, and Pittsburgh winters were starting to eat the body (we use a ton of road salt in western PA). Plus, I needed a truck to haul and tow. Love the Hemi in it, but no more 'fun' cars for me and the wife for a while (though I'm still heavily involved in SCCA as a race official).
Pic taken on our cross country trip to the Grand Canyon last summer
qzlmKDL.jpg

My other toys have always been motorcycles. I've probably had 20 of them in the last 35 years. My first was a KX 80 when I was 10 y/o, and I've been on two wheels since. Owned every imaginable type, from dirt bikes to sport bikes, cruisers to vintage Japanese standards. My current stable consists of a 90 Kawasaki ZX-10 (affectionately known as the "Death Machine") and an 03 Kawi Mean Streak. Once some other things are taken care of, I'll be looking to add something a bit more vintage to the garage, as I want to build a proper cafe racer from a good 500-750 mid-70's UJM. Gotta invest some money into the house and kiddo's education first, so it'll be a few years.
tNnSaOV.jpg
R5nTTm0.jpg

I've had lots of cars and bikes over the years. Some noteworthy, some not so much - these are just the highlights. But very few have been boring, and very few have remained stock. I think I might have a problem.... LOL

From one driver to another, respect. Cars had always been a love of mine but I do find myself finding it abit harder to get excited for he newer stuff. I live in Toronto so I know all about the salt and winters.

Those tuner civics are awesome cars. A souped up Miata from that generation is many guy’s dream car and I always hear people complimenting the Miata. The Supra is just a legend and there is a mint condition one not too far from my house.

While we’re talking car history:

One car I drove was a Mercedes S500 1994 that was a car my dad inherited from his father who got it for dirt cheap with no miles on it because it used to be a business car. Crashed that by rolling into the back over another car looking at a girls phat ass at a red light. (Worth it?)

Yeah, I've always been around cars. Growing up in the 70's, my dad raced SCCA, and I spent most of my summers at racetracks all over the North East. As soon as I turned 16, I was over the wall and either crewing for him and his friends, or working corners as a flagger (still hold an SCCA National flagging license, and am still very active).

I've been lucky enough to not just own some fun cars, but also drive some really interesting stuff. Worked at a few race shops in high school and collage, where I was a delivery driver, transporting customer cars around. Drove a few Ferrari's, once a Rolls Royce, various muscle cars, and more British stuff then I can count. My favorite was having to bring a vintage Austin Healy 3000 from Hagerstown to Pittsburgh through the Laurel Highlands. 4 hours of back roads through the mountains with the top down, and rowing through the gears while that big 3 liter sang along. Also learned to pull a 40' racecar hauler behind a full custom Chevy 3500 dually when I was 18. Part of the job required spending the occasional weekend babysitting show cars at meets, or acting as support crew at races. Was great to be young and single in a racing family. Still have lots of friends and family in those circles, but my career path went a different direction.

While I've driven a few racecars, I've never actually raced in wheel to wheel competition. When I was a kid, it was still possible to go racing on a budget. That old CRX was being built to go SCCA racing, but it just never materialized, as, like many things, life got in the way. These days, it's just too damn expensive to run a season, even at the base amateur level. Could do it on a motorcycle, but at 46, I'm a bit too old to not have a cage around me (yet I'll gladly ride on the street... go figure).

But I still get to do some cool stuff. I get ride alongs all the time in pace cars, working the radio, as a race official. Got to ride shotgun in an M3 on an exhibition run at the Daytona 24 a few years ago - that was a hell of an experience. And the absolute coolest was shotgun in an original GT40 Mk-II with a family friend at a vintage race. Talk about an absolutely brutal car!

But you wanna know the best part? Being able to bring my daughter up around the sport, and seeing it all through her eyes. Like me, she never knew at as anything special, and it's just part of her childhood. She's met a few famous people at the track, and doesn't think anything of it, because they are just another person that dad or grandpa 'works' with on the weekends. The armature level racers and cars are just as cool and special to her as the pro ones, or the vintage ones worth more money than dad will ever make. It's all just a part of her extended family.

Here's a pic of her just before climbing into a Cobra for a charity lap. Yes, it's an original 427 with race history, and no, she has absolutely no idea what it's worth, or how cool it is she got to do it... it was just a perk she got for working in the control tower all day as a 'gofer' running time sheets between the tower and the paddock.

euXvfOb.jpg

Yeah, I've always been around cars. Growing up in the 70's, my dad raced SCCA, and I spent most of my summers at racetracks all over the North East. As soon as I turned 16, I was over the wall and either crewing for him and his friends, or working corners as a flagger (still hold an SCCA National flagging license, and am still very active).

I've been lucky enough to not just own some fun cars, but also drive some really interesting stuff. Worked at a few race shops in high school and collage, where I was a delivery driver, transporting customer cars around. Drove a few Ferrari's, once a Rolls Royce, various muscle cars, and more British stuff then I can count. My favorite was having to bring a vintage Austin Healy 3000 from Hagerstown to Pittsburgh through the Laurel Highlands. 4 hours of back roads through the mountains with the top down, and rowing through the gears while that big 3 liter sang along. Also learned to pull a 40' racecar hauler behind a full custom Chevy 3500 dually when I was 18. Part of the job required spending the occasional weekend babysitting show cars at meets, or acting as support crew at races. Was great to be young and single in a racing family. Still have lots of friends and family in those circles, but my career path went a different direction.

While I've driven a few racecars, I've never actually raced in wheel to wheel competition. When I was a kid, it was still possible to go racing on a budget. That old CRX was being built to go SCCA racing, but it just never materialized, as, like many things, life got in the way. These days, it's just too damn expensive to run a season, even at the base amateur level. Could do it on a motorcycle, but at 46, I'm a bit too old to not have a cage around me (yet I'll gladly ride on the street... go figure).

But I still get to do some cool stuff. I get ride alongs all the time in pace cars, working the radio, as a race official. Got to ride shotgun in an M3 on an exhibition run at the Daytona 24 a few years ago - that was a hell of an experience. And the absolute coolest was shotgun in an original GT40 Mk-II with a family friend at a vintage race. Talk about an absolutely brutal car!

But you wanna know the best part? Being able to bring my daughter up around the sport, and seeing it all through her eyes. Like me, she never knew at as anything special, and it's just part of her childhood. She's met a few famous people at the track, and doesn't think anything of it, because they are just another person that dad or grandpa 'works' with on the weekends. The armature level racers and cars are just as cool and special to her as the pro ones, or the vintage ones worth more money than dad will ever make. It's all just a part of her extended family.

Here's a pic of her just before climbing into a Cobra for a charity lap. Yes, it's an original 427 with race history, and no, she has absolutely no idea what it's worth, or how cool it is she got to do it... it was just a perk she got for working in the control tower all day as a 'gofer' running time sheets between the tower and the paddock.

euXvfOb.jpg

My mom’s friend’s husband had a Cobra just like that one in Montreal. I never got to drive it but it sure looked and sounded pretty. Congrats on your daughter she sounds like a lovely girl.

Obviously no car is worth anything compared to our loved ones but the best is sharing the experience of the cars with a loved one.

Anything with wheels.... or bacon
Now you just need to put bacon on wheels...

I sort of like driving but not for extended lengths and usually traffic around here ruins it all. I currently drive a Ford Fusion but really miss driving my truck.

Back