Anyone sharpen a Nightstick's unsharpened edge?

Want a Nightstick but I want a true dagger not an emasculated one. I can carry one here legally. The blade looks symmetrical in pictures but before I buy one I was hoping to find someone who has done the sharpening. I was figuring Spyderco CS would not do it, but maybe I should check, any hoo anybody?

Buy a vintage Gerber Mark I instead.

Both edges are already sharpened; it's a collector's item and, if you're patient, you can get one for less than (or not much more) than the cost of a Nightstick.

The Gerber Command I is an alternative but one edge is partially serrated it is still double edged and will penetrate anything that you care to stick it in. A Command I generally costs less than a Mark I. Some versions of the Mark I are also serrated.

Both edges are already sharpened; it's a collector's item and, if you're patient, you can get one for less than (or not much more) than the cost of a Nightstick.

The Gerber Command I is an alternative but one edge is partially serrated it is still double edged and will penetrate anything that you care to stick it in. A Command I generally costs less than a Mark I. Some versions of the Mark I are also serrated.
Already have Mark I,II, Guardians,Tai Pan, Counter Tac I,II etc, want a Spyderco Dagger. Thanks for the reply though.

Already have Mark I,II, Guardians,Tai Pan, Counter Tac I,II etc, want a Spyderco Dagger. Thanks for the reply though.

I have a Mark 1 & 2 and a Command 1 & 2 pair. I actually have 2 variations of the Mark I; the longer and shorter versions. And I also have the small Loveless dagger too. So, we have an interest in daggers in common.

There's certainly no reason why you shouldn't buy a Nightstick if you want one.

My initial response (suggestion to get a Gerber) was based on your apparent desire/interest in grinding the dull edge of the Nightstick in order to make it a true dual blade dagger.

So, now my respose is why bother w/grinding the Nightstick if you've already got some great dual bladed daggers and why modify a perfectly good knife when it's unnecessary to do so?

It's your $ and your knife but I think that would be a horrible thing to do. Also, FWIW, I bought/sold a Nightstick already because I decided that I didn't need it, given that I have the Gerbers.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

I have a Mark 1 & 2 and a Command 1 & 2 pair. I actually have 2 variations of the Mark I; the longer and shorter versions. And I also have the small Loveless dagger too. So, we have an interest in daggers in common.

There's certainly no reason why you shouldn't buy a Nightstick if you want one.

My initial response (suggestion to get a Gerber) was based on your apparent desire/interest in grinding the dull edge of the Nightstick in order to make it a true dual blade dagger.

So, now my respose is why bother w/grinding the Nightstick if you've already got some great dual bladed daggers and why modify a perfectly good knife when it's unnecessary to do so?

It's your $ and your knife but I think that would be a horrible thing to do. Also, FWIW, I bought/sold a Nightstick already because I decided that I didn't need it, given that I have the Gerbers.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.
It probably won't happen, all the planets will probably align again before I find one for a good price and someone to do an authentic job sharpening it. Love the "horrible thing to do" lol, I like doing "horrible things" to inanimate objects sometimes. At least that could be the perception of some people.
Thank you for your .02 cents.

Seems like an easy thing to do if have decent stones for freehand or a guided system like the Wicked Edge.

PS and FWIW: I

f you are seriously interested in buying another double edged dagger and haven't seen one of these before, I suggest you take a close look at the Bastinelli Grozo.

It comes in either PE or PS but I think the PS version looks particularly bad a$$ed. It's definitely on my "want" list and no additional grinding is required.

LOL! ;)

DSC09585.jpg

Last edited:

The Gerber Mk I is essentially a Fairbairn-Sykes style dagger isn’t it? Or am I thinking of something else?

The Gerber Mk I is essentially a Fairbairn-Sykes style dagger isn’t it? Or am I thinking of something else?

Gerber Mark 2 is similar to the Fairbain-Sykes in terms of size/military use (6.5" blade; most F-S blades are 7.5" long) but the Mark 2 has a modest wasp waist near the base (and is not uniformly tapered like the F-S) and some Mark 2's are serrated while others are not.

iu

The Gerber Mark 1 is smaller/shorter (4.75-5" blade) and was designed as a discrete carry weapon/backup/boot knife. Like the Mark 2, some are serrated and some are not.

029-003.jpg

Last edited:
Ah
Gerber Mark 2 is similar to the Fairbain-Sykes in terms of size/military use (6.5" blade; most F-S blades are 7.5" long) but the Mark 2 has a modest wasp waist near the base (and is not uniformly tapered like the F-S) and some Mark 2's are serrated while others are not.

iu

The Gerber Mark 1 is smaller/shorter (4.75-5" blade) and was designed as a discrete carry weapon/backup/boot knife. Like the Mark 2, some are serrated and some or not.

029-003.jpg
Ah that’s right. I see. Thanks for the clarification

iu

The Gerber Mark 1 is smaller/shorter (4.75-5" blade) and was designed as a discrete carry weapon/backup/boot knife. Like the Mark 2, some are serrated and some or not.

029-003.jpg
The early Mark II's had the 5 degree taper, no serrations. My first dagger bought in '68 was a Mark II. I carried it almost everywhere daily. They added the serrations to make it more PC/survivalist, there's even one ridiculous Mark I with one side near the tip serrated, come on its a boot knife made for one thing. No serrations for me. Have had a couple WW II Fairbairns back when they were reasonably priced.

Back