Anyone spot a Subvert in the wild yet?

That knife is a framelock with scales. I think the original name of it was the Sabotage. What a monster knife. I won’t say I’m not intruiged.

Where’s the damn smock!?

yeah, I spotted that post a couple days back, just wondering if any more had leaked out into the wild since then.

I'm very super impatient when it comes to blades I fall in lust with, haha.
Well you don't have much longer to wait.

I'm glad that spyderco changes the way they tease there new knives now. Cause they used to showed it off in the catalogs and then we don't get an eta and could be waiting over a year for release. Anticipation kills most of us.

In any case I generally follow the makers on social media to see when they get there samples to show off to there fan base.

Pre ordering is useless. . Find out what day they come out and call into work and refresh the page and order asap.

Mo2, I agree with you and with the long wait from catalog to production, I lose interest. I was all hyped up for the Native in Lc200n but by the time it finally hit retailers shelves, my interest and money was gone.

Reactions: Mo2
The Subvert has been available from dealers for a couple of weeks and I just saw & handled one at my local knife/gun store.

Generally, I like it but then again these are the problems I see w/it:

First, is the price ($470 MSRP; $306 MAP) which I can afford but pushes the envelope. A knife has to really compelling for me to buy it at this level.

Second, is the scale color. I know there are fans of the color but why orange? Is it supposed to be a rescue or outdoors use knife that screams "SEE ME !!! ?"

Third, is the blade shape. Why the flat but sharpened face w/the long but normal cutting edge? I collect long bladed knives but I don't see the "point" of this blade shape. What (other than for slicing) is it supposed to be used for?

Lastly, is the weight and size of the knife that doesn't bother me but could put others off.

So, I won't be buying one but I assume that there are others who will who "get" what this knife is about a lot better than I do.

I'd appreciate hearing an explanation of the appeal of the knife by anyone who LOVES it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AF
There is a lot about the subvert I like. But at $305 bucks they should have used a better steel and should have made it ambidextrous. So it's a BIG no thank you from me.

I got one coming this week. After watching that vid it's not really for me, but it's still a pretty cool knife and I'm a fan of the designers work. Can't say about price until I get it in hand, but if it's not something you like or want to collect then it's not worth it for you.

I like the military alot but didn't realize how big the Subvert was until I saw that vid. It reminded me of a spyderco Tuff.

I often like quirky designs. I'm excited about the new Ikuchi. Love the Hundred Pacer. This one doesn't do anything for me but I can't fault Spyderco for experimenting.

I have handled one, what do you want to know?

Cliff notes of my impressions are:
-it's huge (about the size of a TV remote)
-it's really a frame lock with scales
-extremely solid all around,
-surprisingly light given the size
-it's a totally impractical design
-definitely a collectors piece and I doubt it will be made more than a year or two (which isn't unusual for Spyderco models like this)
-if it appeals to you then buy it! It's expensive but not outrageous for what you're getting and from where.

Just got my Subvert from DLT and I love it. Huge and totally not meant for edc, but something about it just works. It still fits comfortably in a jeans pocket. The blade is well hidden in the scales. You wouldn’t think the blade would be as big as it when closed. When closed it’s about the size of a thicker zt0452.

I collect folders w/longer blades and already have most that were ever made by Spyderco, including the Tanaka, but I refuse to buy any knife w/orange scales on it. So, the Subvert has always been a pass to me.

That's too bad because I handled one at my local gun/knife shop and I liked it.

I'm just not sure what kind of knife it's supposed to be. The description suggests that it's khukri inspired and could be used for SD but its size and blade shape mitigates against that. The blade shape/grind actually looks like it would be best suited for use in the kitchen as a slicer and the orange scales make it better suited for use outdoors camping or in "emergency" situations where it can easily be spotted if left lying around somewhere.

Very confusing.

of note... I have 2 of these, and neither one has any lock-stick...

it is beautiful just the way it is...

300.00plus for a 100.00 knife??:confused: G-10 S30V..Must be the altitude!! :rolleyes:

I collect folders w/longer blades and already have most that were ever made by Spyderco, including the Tanaka, but I refuse to buy any knife w/orange scales on it. So, the Subvert has always been a pass to me.

That's too bad because I handled one at my local gun/knife shop and I liked it.

I'm just not sure what kind of knife it's supposed to be. The description suggests that it's khukri inspired and could be used for SD but its size and blade shape mitigates against that. The blade shape/grind actually looks like it would be best suited for use in the kitchen as a slicer and the orange scales make it better suited for use outdoors camping or in "emergency" situations where it can easily be spotted if left lying around somewhere.

Very confusing.
dye them the color you want with rite dye or get custom scales made.

of note... I have 2 of these, and neither one has any lock-stick...

it is beautiful just the way it is...
Any lock stick is due to oil on the tang and lockbar. It can be remedied easily by removing all traces of it.

300.00plus for a 100.00 knife??:confused: G-10 S30V..Must be the altitude!! :rolleyes:
you and a handful of others keep spreading this false information Go somewhere else.

Back