Anyone tried Carter Cutlery knives?

I've been watching videos and looking at this custom knife company called Carter Cutlery. He practices traditional Japanese blacksmithing. I was curious if anyone had bought one or if they had a review on them. How does it hold its edge? Rc estimate? Just wondered.

I have a few of his knives (neck - which I wear frequently, white crane, and kitchen) and am very happy with them. In my opinion, Murray is quite a talented and skilled maker. As you probably have read, he uses predominantly white and blue carbon steels for the blade edge. Heat treated properly, they hold an edge well and are easy to sharpen - and this has been my experience. I don't recall ever having read about anyone Rockwell testing one of Murray's blades but somewhere, I believe on his website, he states that with his heat treat, the blades reach a Rockwell C of 62/63? Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure it is above 61.

This might make me sound a bit "persuaded" about his knives but I was also lucky enough to attend one of his week long blade smithing classes. Well worth the time and effort for me. Murray is a great, and patient teacher. I had a great time and learned a lot. Got to run now, but let me know if I can try to answer any other questions. You can also contact his shop with any questions. Mike

Carter is a legend. Buy with confidence from KnivesShipFree.

His stuff holds value pretty well also. He's definitely a premier blade smith.

Thanks Mike. I've been looking at his neck knives in question but now I'm sold!

You are welcome Portman 30-06.
I was just looking at the latest batch of neck knives up on his site. The paragraph above all of the knives states that the Rockwell rating is 63/64. Just keep in mind that these are fairly thinly ground with hard edges and make excellent cutters, but I don't think you'd wouldn't want to baton through a cinder block with them - at least I wouldn't. Have fun with it. I think that they are the perfect size, weight, and shape for a good utility/neck knife. I'll shut up now. Mike

Murray Carter is a legend for sure.

I don't own any of his work but I've seen it, and I'd love to one day.

I'd expect anything from him to be as sharp or sharper than most custom makers.

I own three of his neckers. All of them are fantastic, fit & finish is great on them all, and all are sharp as heck! :thumbup:

Back