1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Anyone use coconut oil on their knives?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Mitt, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I bought baby oil by mistake and just used it, except for the scent it works just the same! I use a fair amount because I use it pretty liberally when cleaning an old knife.

2. sitflyer

sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    Whale oil would be a great lubricant, and protectant for the blades...kinda rare these days. Also might have a displeasing odor for most folks.

3. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I bought a pint of mineral oil from IKEA. It is intended for cutting boards and wooden utensils. Pure mineral oil with no scent. Lasted 10 years so far, still smells fine!:)

4. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    My wife and I use coconut oil frequently for cooking, but other than a coconut oil spray from Trader Joe's, all the coconut oil we've ever had usually stays solid at room temperature. I don't know if it would be good or bad for a knife, but I can't really imagine the logistics of trying to use it for that purpose (for example, getting a small drop into the joint).

OP, I would just buy more mineral oil if I were you. I bought a bottle (maybe 12 oz) at the pharmacy a couple years ago, and I can't imagine how long it will take to use it all for knife oiling purposes. I did also buy a very small plastic squeeze bottle (made by Nalgene, I believe) that works great for applying a drop of oil to the joint of your knife. I just refill it from the bigger pharmacy bottle of mineral oil (though in 2 years or so I've only had to refill it once). You can see the small squeeze bottle I use in this photo.

[​IMG]

meako and sitflyer like this.
  5. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Now lemme get this straight
    You put the knife in the coconut oil

Woo-oo-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh
    Woo-oo-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh
    Woo-oo-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh

6. Misthailin

Misthailin

Mar 15, 2017
    We have a jar of coconut oil on our kitchen counter that’s had the lid off for months. My fiancé only uses it for moisturizer. She always smells great!

Will Power likes this.
  7. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Even more so to Whales:eek:
    Apparently its best for old sailor knives and those giant GEC Whalers...3 or 4 whales worth should do for 1 side of those blades.

Travman, btb01 and sitflyer like this.
  8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I believe that Baby Oil is refined mineral with added scents, the smell hangs around on the knife's blades and scales. It certainly doesn't agree with Stag, seems to soften it particularly the porous sections and promotes brass bleed/verdigris discolouration in my experience anyway. Knife maker @Bill de Shivs is very against mineral oil soaking for Stag and advises against it, I've found that Baby Oil lavender or aloe vera do not agree with Stag slabs at all.

Anyway, Coconut Oil will work on pivots when applied with a matchstick and it enhances lustre on patina, so far I find it very OK.

sitflyer and Travman like this.
  9. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    .....bought this cloth years ago, never used it, still in its plastic bag - will give it a go and report back (though it may've dried out :rolleyes:)

coconut oil 01.jpg

coconut oil 02.jpg

sitflyer likes this.
  10. mas113m

mas113m

Oct 7, 2017

I use coconut oil for cooking daily and occasionally a moisturizer. The real virgin oil will not go stinky on you. The fractionated kind that is liquid at room temp is often a low quality product sometimes with other ingredients. Like the stuff used for movie theater popcorn. That stuff is pretty nasty even fresh from the jar. The virgin, either refined or unrefined, that is solid at room temp, tastes great for cooking and is used in many high price beauty products.

11. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Thanks for the info Will. I was unaware of any potential risks associated with baby oil usage as a knife lubricant. I appreciate your expertise and will avoid using it, particularly on stag.

12. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    An off-topic bit of trivia -- GM used to sell a Positraction additive that contained whale oil.

Travman, mas113m and sitflyer like this.
  13. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    I'm old enough to remember when Whale oil was the preferred lubricant for clock movements. Pretty scary to remember that....
    That said, buy a bottle of Mineral Oil at the pharmacy and use it on your pivots and blades. It works and it's dirt cheap.

Travman, Half/Stop and sitflyer like this.
  14. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    No mineral oil sold as a laxative in Europe, huh? o_O
    How about butcher block and cutting board oil? I just googled it, and one brand I saw says it's made of food grade mineral oil stabilized with vitamin E. Should be odorless and not go rancid. Maybe not for stag, but I'd think it's okay for wood and steel.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  15. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I have a few of those Paul. They work OK, but get dirty quickly, and dry out. What I find them ideal for is where you have brass bolts/rivets/large pins on fixed blade handles. They can get really nasty, but the 'Miracle Cloth' cleans the tarnish/verdigris off, without damaging wooden scales :thumbsup:

They used to sell it in pharmacies as 'Liquid Paraffin', but that stopped a couple of decades back. Still sold for pets though, in the UK at least. Butcher block and cutting board oil is sold, though can be overpriced :thumbsup:

The nastiest oil I've used used on my knives is Camellia Oil, it'll strip patina, etches, ruin a blade polish, and it sets like gunk in joints. Horrible stuff :thumbsdown:

Here's the blade of one of my best Joseph Rodgers which was ruined by Camelia Oil, set like a scab on the blade, and ate the (flawless) original mirror polish off :mad:

Camelia Oil 2S.JPG

Ace Rimmer and Chui like this.
  16. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    :eek: Oh! That's not good!

17. runninmike

runninmike

Oct 19, 2005
    I think coconut oil probably won't hurt a knife if ya check on frequently...I have a tiny can of all purpose household oil that cost me about a buck and has a pop-up plastic applicator that is convenient....clp can come in small handy inexpensive bottles too...maybe I am too plain...lol

18. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    I use the pure coconut oil on wood handles of tools, cheaper knives and such. I melt it in with a hair dryer although it is liquid in the summer. It's also very good as lip balm mixed with lanolin.

sitflyer likes this.
  19. jc57

jc57

Nov 28, 2012
    Never used coconut oil. I don't own any as far as I know. I generally use food-grade mineral oils. They are sold in several guises - as laxatives (for people and livestock), as cutting board oils, and as sharpening stone oils.

I've got several kinds laying around the house. I find the Mineral Oil USP from the pharmacy to be a bit thicker than I like for knife joints. The Norton Sharpening Stone oil I have in a little 4.5 oz can is about ideal for it, and it has a spout which makes it easy to apply a single drop.

20. sitflyer

sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    Same here, I,ve got four cans lined up on a shelf, I keep a little 1/2 oz needle tipped squeeze bottle in a tin, for oiling the joints. The Norton oil has a pretty low viscosity so it penetrates well, and a little drop goes a long way.

Half/Stop and Ace Rimmer like this.