Anyone use TKC G10 on their RTAK II?

StrangeDaze

Gold Member
i like the design of the rtak and that it is made from 5160 but have always shyed away from purchasing due to the handle looking very blocky. I was wondering if anyone has the tkc g10 scales and if that has helped with ergonomics at all. From the pictures they look much more rounded than the stock micarta.

If you plan on spending an extra $50 on handles, why not just go for the junglas in the first place? You’ll also get a superior sheath. For a mass produced knife, Ontario’s 5160 can’t be beat, but Rowen’s 1095 is probably just as good a steel, considering the heat treat of a smaller manufacturer. On the other hand, micarta is very easily modified by sandpaper.

If you plan on spending an extra $50 on handles, why not just go for the junglas in the first place? You’ll also get a superior sheath. For a mass produced knife, Ontario’s 5160 can’t be beat, but Rowen’s 1095 is probably just as good a steel, considering the heat treat of a smaller manufacturer. On the other hand, micarta is very easily modified by sandpaper.
Have a junglas already ;)

i like the design of the rtak and that it is made from 5160 but have always shyed away from purchasing due to the handle looking very blocky. I was wondering if anyone has the tkc g10 scales and if that has helped with ergonomics at all. From the pictures they look much more rounded than the stock micarta.

Just got a set in the other week from TKC and I have to say they are just as massive as the original.I was hoping it would be more ergonomic but sadly no.As others have said to modify the existing micarta scales with a file

It is not to say the scales are garbage but are nicely done - have nice rounded edges and shallow horizontal scallops going width- wise for added grip.

I think, I am going to anso the micarta handles and it should be nice but not before I find some stainless fasteners.

If you want to modify them really quick, use a belt sander. It will sand them down to nothing in a minute or two, depending on the grit of the paper used.

I would like to add that the rtak2 is one of my all time favorite big blades. It’s not perfect, but none of my users are, and the slight imperfections add to their beauty imo. I’ve had several knives that were almost impossible to use without some modifications, but once completed the knives were nearly perfect. The handle as is may be too large for most people’s hands, but a belt sander (and maybe even a grinder for steel removal) would make this knife a serious competitor for almost any large blade (including the bk9) for chopping, batoning, fire and shelter prep, etc. I honestly don’t know why this knife isn’t more popular than it seems to be.

I bought tkc scales for my rtak and they were a huge difference compared to stock I like the rtak and tkc scales better than a stock Junglas.

Back