Recommendation? Anything better than Leatherman Skeletool CX?

I've been carrying a Skeletool CX for a few years now. In fact I have 2 of them as I lost one for a week and couldn't stand not having it, but then found it.

I'm wondering if there's anything newer/better on the market? Must be a pocket clip, one hand opening blade, pliers, and a Philips bit.

The skeletool is my favorite for EDC so far, but it's still a bit heavy and I tend to lose bits. One of the CX's quit holding bits as the release lever is stuck down and doesn't spring back.

Wave and charge you can get a pocket clip.
I changed from the Skeletool to the Charge with a Pocket clip.

I would be inclined to disagree with the choice of the Wave or Charge if you think a skeletool is heavy. However that is probably your best bet at the same time. I hear the leatherman Signal is also a solid light tool which fits the bill (though it also does not have a pocket clip). I am not sure if the Signal can be equipped with the pocket clip however

Signal has a pocket clip. But it's way, way heavier than a Skeletool, 1oz within the weight of a Wave. (5oz. for Skeletoo, 7.5oz. Signal, 8oz. Wave.)

Use the Leatherman warranty for the damaged Skeletool.

If you are willing to put something on your keychain or coin/watch pocket, a combination of the Leatherman Micra & a light modern can give you what you need at a lower weight. The pliers won't be as big and the bits are smaller. But the bits won't fall out and you can certainly find a modern folder that is more capable than the knife built into the Skeletool. The redistribution of weight in two parts may help even more.
Micra on keychain or in coin pocket & knife with clip.

Skeletool handles are not comfortable for me, also the pliers are weak and not a robust tool for my needs, I moved to a Leatherman Rebar.

Back