Anything I should know before stripping the scales off of my new Para 2 & 3?

The title, basically.

I got a set of Ghost Jade Natural G10 scales for each knife and it will be my first time changing scales.

I think for starters I need a knife repair kit, for the correct tools? Or maybe I could just use the Alan wrench set I have?

I have now watched multiple Youtube vids, but your thoughts and vast experience is always most welcome! :)

Happy almost Monday, BF! ^_^

Sincerely,

~ Sparkly ♡

Do you think I should get someone experienced to do this for me? Honest question for an honest answer. ♡

Some call em the star bits. I only know of Chris Reeves that use the allen head type fasteners.
TTEUiOF.png

The lanyard tube is a pain cuz it's pressed fit. Some PM2's have a looser fitted tube, some are very tight. Mine was tight. I wiggled that thing ridiculously till it decided to come apart. Since then, my second & third PM2s wore their original skins.

P.S. Give it a day or two & you'll have more info here than you shake a stick at. You're definitely in the right place.

The lanyard tube is a pain cuz it's pressed fit. Some PM2's have a looser fitted tube, some are very tight. Mine was tight. I wiggled that thing ridiculously till it decided to come apart. Since then, my second & third PM2s wore their original skins.

Could you recommend a type of business that could perhaps help with this sort of thing, Dogdrawz Dogdrawz ? I have no clue... Big 5? Or something like that maybe? :/ I very much doubt that Big 5 has that sort of service.

Wiha bits and drivers will save alot of stripped screws and headaches ... Wiha are great quailty bits for this purpose.

And yes the lanyard tubes on Spydercos ... especially PM2s can be a bear to get scales off and back on ... takes alot of patience and being careful not to chip the scale edges ... it's not the easiest change out.

Wiha bits and drivers will save alot of stripped screws and headaches ... Wiha are great quailty bits for this purpose.

And yes the lanyard tubes on Spydercos ... especially PM2s can be a bear to get scales off and back on ... takes alot of patience and being careful not to chip the scale edges ... it's not the easiest change out.

Well, shucks. It looked so (sort of) easy on Youtube! :oops:

Wiha bits...they are the best. I bought a pack of 20 #9 when I was servicing all my Benchmades. Tiny sizes & red Loctite don't mix at all.

I don't know anyone here (not that there's not) that would perform your service. You can try the
Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment forum. Should be a few trusted peeps in there that can help out if need be.

Wiha bits...they are the best. I bought a pack of 20 #9 when I was servicing all my Benchmades. Tiny sizes & red Loctite don't mix at all.

I don't know anyone here (not that there's not) that would perform your service. You can try the
Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment forum. Should be a few trusted peeps in there that can help out if need be.

Here! That's a good idea. derp.

As stated above, good quality Torx bits. I use Wiha.

Pop the Para in the freezer for a bit to slightly shrink the lanyard tube, sometimes that can help. The scales coming off the lanyard tube the first time is the only tricky bit you may encounter.

You can do it :thumbsup:

Some torx was all I need to disassemble my old all black PM2.
But I had a probem with a s110V version.
There was red loctite on many screws and I simply destroyed my knife :(

Patience, a high frustration level, time (not when 1 hour later you have an appointment) and good torx bits where you can apply some torque.
Lanyard tube at Para 3 is "fun", PM2 probably the same "fun".

If you have unscrew anything rather small (computer, radio,...) you should be fine.

Do the knife you like LESS first.
Only one at the time.

Which PM2 / Para 3 exactly will be modified?

Patience, a high frustration level, time (not when 1 hour later you have an appointment) and good torx bits where you can apply some torque.
Lanyard tube at Para 3 is "fun", PM2 probably the same "fun".

If you have unscrew anything rather small (computer, radio,...) you should be fine.

Do the knife you like LESS first.
Only one at the time.

Which PM2 / Para 3 exactly will be modified?

Okay, cool. Thank you! :] I'm not sure I understand that last question though.

If you aren't good with tools or your hands, this might be difficult. But not impossible.

The bits you will need are Torx. You can order a set on Amazon, they come as individual drivers, on a ring like Alan keys, or a pen and removable bits (I have Wiha's pen driver, I like it). The cool thing is these work for most knives so they're definitely useful to have.

My advice is to dedicate a good block of time to this. If you screw up you will need time to figure out how and fix it. Don't be afraid to put the parts in a container and walk away if you get frustrated. Practice with a frame lock if you have one, I imagine the compression lock would be difficult for a beginner.

Take lots of pictures along the way.
It can help on reassembly.
Maybe some painters tape on the edge to prevent cuts.
While you’re backing the screws out, put pressure on the driver. As in, try to push the screw back in, while it’s backing out on the threads. This should help prevent stripping the screws.
Don’t lose or screw up your washers. Replacements are tough to come by.
If you make a mess of something, your warranty is void. So tread lightly.

Back