• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Aogomi # 2 Euro style Chef's knife (reposted)

I have been waiting for the right time to undertake this project and it is finally done! Very pleased with the outcome. The blade is made from a solid piece of Aogomi # 2 (Blue steel), the very last of it in my shop, and not likely to see any more. It is not a laminated blade, but rather "mono" steel. Blue steel gets it's start from White steel, and then chromium is added for an easier quench and added toughness, and tungsten is added for additional wear resistance. Hitachi White and Blue steels are known for their extreme tolerances and low contaminants like sulfur and phosphorous. But any steel is only good as its heat treatment, and is the "soul" of the blade. This steel was normalized for stress relief and even carbide dispersion, thermal cycled 3 times just above critical temperature for grain refinement, given a DET anneal to re-spheroidize the carbides, hardened at a precise temperature (1490°F) for 10 minutes and quenched in fast oil (Parks 50), then triple tempered for a final hardness of 64-65HRC! The blade was hand rubbed to 600 grit and the spine was rounded and mirror polished for comfort and a very classy look. The blade grind, as you can see in the 3rd photo, is a full flat grind with excellent thin edge geometry (not sharpened yet!) for a very pleasurable user experience! The heel is a full 2 1/4" tall for exceptional knuckle clearance! The handle is made from a beautiful piece of stabilized Arizona desert ironwood, secured with epoxy and black micarta pins, hand rubbed to 1200 grit for a rich satin look, then oiled and waxed for extra protection. The handle fits like the proverbial "glove" in my hand, and the handle pins are in perfect alignment with the blade tip. Balance point is half way between my makers mark and the front of the handle, right where it should be. I want to say a lot more about what I think this knife is, but I think it would come across as bragging too much, so I'll just leave you with the details and let you know one thing....YOU GOTTA HAVE THIS KNIFE!

OAL: 12 5/8"
Blade: 8"
Handle: 4 5/8"
Thickness: 0.125", tapered to tip
Spine: rounded and polished
Heel height: 2 1/4"
Steel: Hitachi Aogomi # 2 (Blue steel)
Hardness: 64-65HRC
Edge: 0.007", 13° per side, 3 micron
Handle: Stabilized Arizona Desert Ironwood

m6TugKw.jpg

9JYkJmX.jpg

1MrPxbK.jpg

Price is only (reposted) and includes a felt lined edge guard and free shipping anywhere in the USA! Unlimited lifetime "Write-your-own" warranty, as well as free sharpening and blade repolish. Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). Thank you for checking out the knife! Follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport

Last edited:
Beautiful knife! It looks like it would be a wonderful addition to any kitchen compliment of cutlery. :thumbsup:

Gorgeous knife. Far too much belly for my personal taste but awesome still

Back